Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Old Oct 4, 2011, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by nacho
They are practically removed a lot of 3rd party sites because a lot of the cheaper ones uses USD as their currency rather than the local currency.
Yes, that's true. It is a bad change to both real travelers and IHG. Real travelers are deprived of the guarantee solely because of different currencies even if the difference in price is big. In this case, the hotel group may lose their second chance to serve these disappointed customers. I hope they will change it back soon although I am pessimistic on it.

I called earlier today regarding my claims and I got oral approvals. BRG said they will contact the hotels for these claims and will get back to me. How long would it take for the hotel to respond my claims?
Three to five business days in my cases.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

These are some bizarro changes. Is IHG offering the rate guarantee on their foreign websites? So if booking.com wants to quote a rate in London in GBP, can I go to IHG's UK website and book there for the BRG?

Not including the tax is just mean. It just excludes some very reasonable BRG based on other websites doing "the right thing" and including all costs.

What's still unclear is whether I can get a BRG on a refundable IHG rate if the other website offers a lower refundable rate, or whether that other website has to also beat any IHG non-refundable rate. This is the current annoyance, as IHG keeps requiring me to change my refundable rez to a non-refundable rez to get the guarantee.

As I indicated earlier, this whole thing wasn't well thought out before being launched. I'm sure there will be more revisions and then probably the abandonment of the free night's stay promise.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
These are some bizarro changes. Is IHG offering the rate guarantee on their foreign websites? So if booking.com wants to quote a rate in London in GBP, can I go to IHG's UK website and book there for the BRG?
I suppose yes. The terms and conditions mention the same-currency-rule explicitly. In other words, if both rates are in GBP, the guarantee may qualify.

Not including the tax is just mean. It just excludes some very reasonable BRG based on other websites doing "the right thing" and including all costs.
When I did my claim last week, the agent deducted the tax part from the rate at the third-party website for comparison. The tax rate was not listed on the third-party website, but the agent simply assumed the same tax rate as shown on IHG. Assuming they use the same tax rate, having tax excluded is always a disadvantage for us because the tax magnifies the difference by some percents. It may happen that this small discrepancy helps cross the USD 1 threshold.

What's still unclear is whether I can get a BRG on a refundable IHG rate if the other website offers a lower refundable rate, or whether that other website has to also beat any IHG non-refundable rate. This is the current annoyance, as IHG keeps requiring me to change my refundable rez to a non-refundable rez to get the guarantee.
The answer is clearly negative. According to the terms and conditions, you must book the room at the lowest available rate on IHG websites. It means that whenever there is a lower (non-refundable) rate available, you must book with that rate for the guarantee. The related clause is as follows:

• Guest must book the lowest available price on the “Best Available Rate” search - for the same hotel, the same type of accommodations, the same number of guests, and the same dates - in order to qualify for the Guarantee.
As I indicated earlier, this whole thing wasn't well thought out before being launched. I'm sure there will be more revisions and then probably the abandonment of the free night's stay promise.
I agree. The first version of terms and conditions are poorly written and contain a lot of ambiguity. I am confident that I would not end up with these vague clauses If I were to write the rules. I believe that the writer of the first set of rules must suffer a lot from their internal meeting, mainly because of the grievance of the best price guarantee team and concerned hotels.

As of 4 October 2011, the revised version seems more clearly phrased. Despite its clarity, I am so disappointed that they exclude currency exchanges. It truly voids the guarantee for most travelers. I hope they will change it back in the next revision (if they won't remove the guarantee).

===

There is one more thing to ask. If the rates given by IHG and a third-party website are in the same currency other than USD, how should the difference be converted to USD? It is not mentioned in the terms and conditions, either implicitly or explicitly. For example, if the difference is GBP 0.65, it can be above or under USD 1 depending on the exchange rate to use. The doubt must be cleared. I believe that they will use the rate on OANDA, but it should be stated clearly.

I have another question. Are there any good websites to challenge the IHG rates in CNY or HKD? Please PM me if you have some. Thanks!
Old Oct 4, 2011, 11:27 pm

Programs: BA Exec Blue, IHG Spire, HHonor Gold, Accor Platinum.
Worryingly I have not had confirmation of my latest BRG after pver 24 hours.

I've filled out 2 on-oline claim forms and have just sent an email.

Anyone else not heard lately?
Old Oct 5, 2011, 12:57 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
Yep, same here . Submitted 1 claim on Saturday and 1 (for a different hotel) on Tuesday morning .
Absolutely no response to either one so far.

Originally Posted by blindman
Worryingly I have not had confirmation of my latest BRG after pver 24 hours.

I've filled out 2 on-oline claim forms and have just sent an email.

Anyone else not heard lately?
Old Oct 5, 2011, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by yevlesh2
Yep, same here . Submitted 1 claim on Saturday and 1 (for a different hotel) on Tuesday morning .
Absolutely no response to either one so far.
The best advice I could give is to give them a call. You ought to get some kind of reply within 24 hours.

I got e-mails after my claims are approved - I called them and did all the changes I needed online during the call.

One of them stated that my claim is approved. Another one is rather scary
We have contacted the hotel and requested a verification of the lower rate you found. We appreciate your patience and will contact you via e-mail when this has been confirmed.
I did all the claims over phone (one done by Mr. Nacho) and we got replies that the claims are valid. Now that I got a message like this - scary.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I wrote to them to ask them about the 'verification' from the hotel. I got a reply saying that
Please be informed that the hotel has the right to verify if we commit errors in verifying the guest claim. Rest assured, your claim is valid once our team confirmed via phone or email.
I thought when they approved it, it's approved. So what if the hotel said no such thing? Now I'm confused.

Last edited by nacho; Oct 5, 2011 at 1:56 am Reason: typo
Old Oct 5, 2011, 4:14 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Did you every see a company change the rules so quickly on a promotion ?

Anyone got a cached copy of the previous T&C ?

My BRG was orally confirmed yesterday, but it was based on the T&C which allowed different currencies to be compared, I don't want them coming back now and telling me they misread the T&C and pointing me towards the new ones.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by tangey

Anyone got a cached copy of the previous T&C ?
This is from the 27 Sept.

http://www.mediafire.com/?di5d7itfbjva2c9
Old Oct 5, 2011, 5:24 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
excellent, thank you.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tangey
My BRG was orally confirmed yesterday, but it was based on the T&C which allowed different currencies to be compared, I don't want them coming back now and telling me they misread the T&C and pointing me towards the new ones.
I'm in the very same situation. Has anyone ever got an e-mail from them saying that they need to verify the lower rate with the hotel? I actually got verbal confirmation of the approvals (I wouldn't have changed the reservations to advance purchase otherwise).

Thanks for the cached copy. ^ It might become handy.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 6:59 am

Programs: UA 1P / PC Plat / SPG Gold
ANA Hotels

In the T&C they first said all IHG hotels are included, then in the later paragraphs it stated

The Guarantee does not include extra fees such as extra person charges, however, for IHG hotels located in Japan or for the ANA website only, the Guarantee applies on websites to room rate and extra person fees only. Other fees or charges do not apply.
The Guarantee does not apply to ANA hotels.
I called earlier today regarding my claims and I got oral approvals. BRG said they will contact the hotels for these claims and will get back to me. How long would it take for the hotel to respond my claims?

Thanks

They are confusing! Did you book an ANA? I'm about to book one so please keep me posted on your situation. Thanks!
Old Oct 5, 2011, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nope my reservation is not for ANA hotels. They are IC and CP.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They seem to be trying to process the BRG's they agreed to -- I just got a confirmation of a comp stay from their central rez system.

I guess I'll wait 10 days (my stays aren't until winter) and see what I have to do then.

As I have no other obvious need for more IHG stays, I think I'll wait to get these before fighting for more.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They seem to be trying to process the BRG's they agreed to -- I just got a confirmation of a comp stay from their central rez system.

I guess I'll wait 10 days (my stays aren't until winter) and see what I have to do then.

As I have no other obvious need for more IHG stays, I think I'll wait to get these before fighting for more.
How long did it take for the rez to show up as comp after you got your claims approved by BRG? Did the BRG team contact you to confirm the comp stay?

Last edited by nacho; Oct 5, 2011 at 11:24 am Reason: typo

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.