Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2011, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by iahphx
So I'm only going to compare REFUNDABLE rates -- apples to apples.
But all the 3rd party offers I've seen have only been partially refundable - i.e. there is %ge charge to cancel, or a "free until xx-days prior to the stay" condition. Red apples to green apples. This creates a new dimension to PC's wriggle room.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
But all the 3rd party offers I've seen have only been partially refundable - i.e. there is %ge charge to cancel, or a "free until xx-days prior to the stay" condition. Red apples to green apples. This creates a new dimension to PC's wriggle room.
Is that a UK thing. Plenty of free cancellation websites in the USA. Booking.com seems to have the most variation from ICH rates, but I just run it through Kayak to oompare. But it doesn't matter though if they're not going to match apples to apples.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 10:46 pm

I just had an interesting conversation with a BRG supervisor about my complaint that they rejected my flexible rate BRG claim by arguing that they had a cheaper no-cancellation rate.

She says they will make a one-time exception for me and honor the BRG, but that "corporate" was now considering what their ultimate rule on this will be.

Obviously, it makes all the difference, since almost no one is going to book a BRG if it can, effectively, be only on a non-refundable rate.

I know it's hard to give away rooms for nothing. I'd really prefer if they'd just give you half-off the rate you find and be reasonable and fair in their BRG promise. That would be a win-win for everybody.
I understand your point. However, it is their rule that you have to book with the lowest available rate for the room to qualify for the best price guarantee. This is a game of terms and conditions. You can play the game only if you agree with all fine prints. That's why I see nothing wrong if the supervisor rejects your claim.

Honestly speaking, the original intention of the best price guarantee program is to ensure that travelers can book at the lowest price that they find within reasonable time, but not a game of intentional rate hunting. I see nothing more reasonable and fair to make the promise even more complicated. The current rules are good and fair enough. Of course, if a claim is clearly valid per their terms and conditions, they must honor it no matter if the traveler wanted to pay for the room in good faith before making the reservation.

Although I am also playing the game of getting free rooms, I won't complain if they tighten their rules or even cancel the promise some time. The hotel chain is not ethically responsible for providing the lowest rate, but it is the responsibility for travelers to look for an affordable rate.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 1:00 am

Programs: IHG, BA
With this new BRG offer, am I able to book a 1 night stay at 1 hotel, and then book a stay the next night at another hotel, and get both comped if I find a lower rate for both?
Old Oct 1, 2011, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is that a UK thing.,,
Could well be - or my inexpertise..

I take Samwkchan's point. The scheme's rules aren't framed around folk looking for free rooms: rather they focus on people who have booked at ICHG hotels through the PC website - and who are presumably happy with the T&C they accepted.

But it might be a little naive to suggest the scheme is marketing altruism aimed solely at reassuring travellers they are getting the best rates through using the website. The aim seems more to persuade hotels not to sell through third parties, a practice which deprives PC of revenues it would otherwise earn.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
We should start a BRG count here on FT. I bet FT accounts for 50%+ of all BRG claims.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mnredfox
We should start a BRG count here on FT. I bet FT accounts for 50%+ of all BRG claims.
... and by sniffing out all the "irregular" deals out there, FTers are doing sterling work for Priority club!
Old Oct 1, 2011, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Anyone mind sharing tips for finding lower rates? I've been using Hotelscombined.com and Kayak, but both have been less than helpful, often showing me what looks like a third-party lower rate that after clicking through is actually higher.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 2:42 pm

A twin room was booked at a Holiday Inn Express, stating 1 person and BRG claim was submitted, verified and valid.

Is it possible at a later date to update the number of people on the booking to 2 ?

It was a best flexible rate.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 5:06 pm

Thumbs down

I booked a CP using advance purchase rate and submitted a BRG claim that was verified. I got an email from the BRG agent saying they would contact the hotel requesting that the first night is complimentary. I've checked my credit card statement and I've been billed by the hotel for the advance purchase rate.

So, anyone who books using advance purchase / BRG should keep an eye on their statements.

I'll contact the hotel first, and if i get no refund I will contact priority club customer care.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 10:51 pm

Programs: LH M&M - US AIR - BMI - HYATT - SPG - SIXT - PP
Originally Posted by lfc84
I booked a CP using advance purchase rate and submitted a BRG claim that was verified. I got an email from the BRG agent saying they would contact the hotel requesting that the first night is complimentary. I've checked my credit card statement and I've been billed by the hotel for the advance purchase rate.

So, anyone who books using advance purchase / BRG should keep an eye on their statements.

I'll contact the hotel first, and if i get no refund I will contact priority club customer care.
This will be a problem with most APR, as the billing process automatically starts with the booking. Once the hotel ist contacted for the BRG claim, they should of course innitiate the refund. If you have not got the automatic refund, I would just have it done at check-out (manually).
Old Oct 2, 2011, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by asmallworld
.. the billing process automatically starts with the booking.
Only about half my advanced bookings take the payment/deposit in advance. Never understand why they don't grab my money as soon as they can.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 2:06 am

Sigh... IHG are really being jerks with this policy. They wait till the price has been fixed to reply.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 8:03 am

Programs: IHG, BA
Originally Posted by Shimon
Sigh... IHG are really being jerks with this policy. They wait till the price has been fixed to reply.

I got stung by this ... once!
That's why I phone through now and get them to check real time rather than send the request in through the web.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 2:55 pm

Programs: IC Amb :-(, UA silver, BA Gold, SPG Plat, A-Club Plat, Marriott Plat
qualifying night?

anyone know whether nights stayed using the BRG represent a qualifying night and/or give you any points?

(remember points for an IC stay are ixed regardless of amount paid :-) )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.