Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Old Jul 13, 2012, 1:59 am

Programs: Clubcarlson Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire AMB etc.
Originally Posted by lsed
Does this still work today? I once had the agent tell me 'they cannot advise until confirmation is done'
In this case hang up and try again?
But I kept getting back the same person when I tried last time (though that was months ago)
Hang up/call back.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 6:49 am

Just got approved for the Intercontinental Boston for 1 night - Aug 24 - in a Club Level King including club access. Lower rate found on aavacations.com
Old Jul 15, 2012, 9:03 pm

Programs: HH Gold, PC Plat
Just got approved for Crowne Plaza Chicago Metro Downtown for 1 night, August 8th. Booked a Best Rate 1 King Suite - nonsmoking. Found for $10 less on Priceline.com

Unrestricted rate was $249.00/night.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 4:10 am
Used to be 'lohiadk'

BRG Not Honoured Cause of Currency

I booked the Crowne Plaza Okhla IN Delhi, India for INR6700 on the website plus the taxes. I found the hotel in olotels.com for Euro 83 Incl taxes (equivalent to INR5300) but the agent said it's not a valid claim cause olotels did not bill in the same currency as the hotel.

I think this a tricky way to get out of honoring genuine claims.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 4:30 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by lohiadk
It's a dishonest way. But as long as neither the competitors, nor the consumer organizations sue against it, this will continue. Until then, this tells you a lot about the company.

HTB.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by htb
It's a dishonest way. But as long as neither the competitors, nor the consumer organizations sue against it, this will continue. Until then, this tells you a lot about the company.

HTB.
They set up the rules and if you don't like it, don't file any claim. I don't like the currency thing either, but there are other BRGs that are like that (Club Carlson, Choice).

I think dishonest is a wrong word to describe it. You can say I don't like their terms regarding currency, but using 'dishonest' is too much - they did tell you at the T&C.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lohiadk
I booked the Crowne Plaza Okhla IN Delhi, India for INR6700 on the website plus the taxes. I found the hotel in olotels.com for Euro 83 Incl taxes (equivalent to INR5300) but the agent said it's not a valid claim cause olotels did not bill in the same currency as the hotel.

Have you read the T&C or browse through this thread before filing a claim? This currency thing has been on for a long time now.

IHG didn't trick you - it states very clearly on their T&C. I don't like the terms either but if you want a free night, you have to play by their rules.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 2:19 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by nacho
They set up the rules and if you don't like it, don't file any claim.
I'm sorry, I may have missed your point, but that's neither an argument for or against what I said.

Originally Posted by nacho
I think dishonest is a wrong word to describe it. You can say I don't like their terms regarding currency, but using 'dishonest' is too much - they did tell you at the T&C.
I think "dishonest" is the right word. They boiler-plate advertise "find a lower rate and your first night is free", only to come up with limitations in the small print. And while some limitations are to be expected, only accepting lower rates in the same currency, even though there may be much lower rates (my best was 60% less), is misleading to a point where I will call it dishonest.

And as I said -- this kind of behavior certainly reflects on the whole corporation. Just look at the numerous replies "your rate does not qualify because it was deeply discounted" even though you booked the best flexible rate or advance purchase rate from their own website. If I don't want to consider 90% of their staff incompetent or stupid, I will have to consider that the entire corporation is dishonest.

HTB.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by htb
I think "dishonest" is the right word. They boiler-plate advertise "find a lower rate and your first night is free", only to come up with limitations in the small print. And while some limitations are to be expected, only accepting lower rates in the same currency, even though there may be much lower rates (my best was 60% less), is misleading to a point where I will call it dishonest.

And as I said -- this kind of behavior certainly reflects on the whole corporation. Just look at the numerous replies "your rate does not qualify because it was deeply discounted" even though you booked the best flexible rate or advance purchase rate from their own website. If I don't want to consider 90% of their staff incompetent or stupid, I will have to consider that the entire corporation is dishonest.

HTB.
I would call that 'misleading' because this is what marketing is - presenting the best and hide the worst.

I don't think IHG is a dishonest organisation, IMO their operation can be best described as 'incompetent'. A lot of them don't know what they are doing - this is a few examples I encountered:

Case 1:
I asked for a status match and a staff told me that they will match me until Dec 2014. I thought 'cool' but then on the 1st Jan my status was reset back to club. I was so puzzled and then asked them, and they said it was a honest mistake.

Case 2:

Their IT system is really bad. Sometimes their pages are down for a long time and things can't displayed properly - it's another sign of incompetence.

They can't even go into the reservation system to set the rate to 0 after a successful BRG claim.

Case 3:
I stayed on points as an 'additional' guest from a booking made by someone else. PC claimed that they got the right name but they didn't. Fortunately I had the print out of the reservation with me so I could check-in.

It's a mixture of a messy organisation and incompetence of staffs.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by htb
I think "dishonest" is the right word. They boiler-plate advertise "find a lower rate and your first night is free", only to come up with limitations in the small print.
They should call it what it is - a guarantee that everyone has the equal higest rate.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Got 3 others approved:

Last month for Denver Downtown CP

Last weekend stayed at the Denver HI East Stapleton

And next month for the Staybridge Suites in Times Square NYC

Gotta say NYC has been the toughest to crack thus far, IHG hotels seem to keep a very tight lock on inventory and pricing. They are still no match for me though; took me over a week, but I still got it
Old Jul 22, 2012, 1:52 pm

Does anyone know if hotelopia give instant confirmations/is valid for BRG?

Thanks.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 3:40 am

Location: in your favourite lounge, clearing the whole buffet
Programs: LH Maximizer of the year, BA Blue Label killer
Originally Posted by denCSA
Gotta say NYC has been the toughest to crack thus far, IHG hotels seem to keep a very tight lock on inventory and pricing. They are still no match for me though; took me over a week, but I still got it
On which site did you find a lower price?
Old Jul 23, 2012, 5:42 am

Programs: LH M&M SEN, bmi DC Gold, CO Gold Elite, bahn.comfort nothing
Originally Posted by Shimon
Does anyone know if hotelopia give instant confirmations/is valid for BRG?

Thanks.
Originally Posted by fqtv_kraven
On which site did you find a lower price?
I would like to know that as well please.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by denCSA
Got 3 others approved:

Last month for Denver Downtown CP

Last weekend stayed at the Denver HI East Stapleton

And next month for the Staybridge Suites in Times Square NYC

But they may approve just one BRG within one month based on T&C. How could you get 2 or 3?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.