Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2012, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by samwkchan
Congratulations! You have scored a free room.

The BRG system of IHG is much worse than those of other hotel chains. IHG BRG team has no power to comp the room for you right away. They must request the hotel to zero the room rate. Anyway, you can rest assured with your quoted email. You need not pay anything from your pocket at all for your one-night stay in most cases. In the worst scenario that the hotel fails to compromise, you may have to pay for the room first and be reimbursed by IHG after you stay. Such unfortunate cases did happen but were not common.
thanks for the clarification! so the worst scenario, would i need to file some paperworks (invoice...) with IHG? Will they guarantee to reimburse me? thanks!
Old May 27, 2012, 9:56 am

BTW what are the best websites you guys use to find a lower room rate? I use kayak.com, but wonder if it is comprehensive/convenient enough..

thanks.
Old May 27, 2012, 11:16 am

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sbbi
thanks for the clarification! so the worst scenario, would i need to file some paperworks (invoice...) with IHG? Will they guarantee to reimburse me? thanks!

You will be told in advance the hotel refused to adjust the rate and that you will need to front the payment at check-in. They will promise a reimbursement by check (USD) 4-6 weeks after the stay.

My experience in this was that I earned points and the check came within 2 weeks. You have a 95%+ chance that this will not be necessary as most hotels are compliant with BRG terms.
Old May 27, 2012, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
You will be told in advance the hotel refused to adjust the rate and that you will need to front the payment at check-in. They will promise a reimbursement by check (USD) 4-6 weeks after the stay.

My experience in this was that I earned points and the check came within 2 weeks. You have a 95%+ chance that this will not be necessary as most hotels are compliant with BRG terms.
My experience was similar. The only difference is the reason of reimbursement. The room was reserved at 3am local time on the check-in day. Given the close-in reservation, I guess there was not enough time for the BRG team to communicate with the hotel. The reimbursement check was received 3 weeks from the check-out date. No document submission was required, but I suggest you to keep all invoices before the reimbursement (if needed) in case you need them.

Last edited by samwkchan; May 27, 2012 at 12:31 pm Reason: Data corrected.
Old May 27, 2012, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by samwkchan
Congratulations! You have scored a free room.

The BRG system of IHG is much worse than those of other hotel chains. IHG BRG team has no power to comp the room for you right away. They must request the hotel to zero the room rate. Anyway, you can rest assured with your quoted email. You need not pay anything from your pocket at all for your one-night stay in most cases. In the worst scenario that the hotel fails to compromise, you may have to pay for the room first and be reimbursed by IHG after you stay. Such unfortunate cases did happen but were not common.
BTW how long it normally takes for the hotel to get back to IHG's BRG department? i have been waiting for over 30 hours after getting that email but have not heard back anything yet..

Thanks.
Old May 27, 2012, 11:59 pm

Programs: LH M&M SEN, bmi DC Gold, CO Gold Elite, bahn.comfort nothing
Originally Posted by sbbi
BTW how long it normally takes for the hotel to get back to IHG's BRG department? i have been waiting for over 30 hours after getting that email but have not heard back anything yet..

Thanks.
This can take longer. The average for me was 3 business days, and only if the hotel decides to write to you directly. If not you will get the notification later as the hotel will write to the BRG Desk and they will forward this message to you.

For a BRG Stay in March i was reimbursed via International MoneyWire, as i requested that, without any problems.
Old May 28, 2012, 4:58 am

Programs: BD, AA, BA, CO Marriott Plat>gold, Hyatt Diamond>Plat,Hilton Gold SPG Gold PC Plat
Originally Posted by xcalx
30 minutes ago I got approval for Holiday inn Orchard Road Singapore, club room ICH cost S$ 454.32 comparison site cost S$ 446.19.. Comparison site now showing same cost as ICH... Seems to have good reviews.

Just changed the costs as I got them wrong

Update The full amount + Ł6.50 exchange fee was charged to my CC on 25th May. So I phone this morning and they say they are still in contact with the hotel to get the rate changed. Should this take over a week to adjust and what happens to the exchange fees X2 when refunded.
Old May 28, 2012, 6:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Celebrity Cruises Elite Plus
Originally Posted by by Dolphinyong
Hi, everyone, I'm totally new here and I have a few questions, hope that someone can give me some help.

1. If I book only one night at IHG, can I submit the BRG claim? So if it turn out to be successful, I will get the night for free?

2. If I book a room with 'free cancellation up to 1day before arrival" at IHG website, and found a comparison website with ' free cancellation up to 2 days before arrival', will my claim be successful?

Originally Posted by denCSA
1 - Yes

2 - No, the IHG policy must be more restrictive than the comparison (i.e. advance purchase rate through IHG vs cancellable rate on competing site is allowed)
I had a recent claim denied for this reason (IHG 24 hr cancel policy vs 48 hrs on 3rd party site).

Speaking of denied claims in general, does anyone know if a hotel still gets their hand slapped for undercutting the IHG website rate even when a claim is denied for something as simple a 24 hr differing cancel policy?
Old May 28, 2012, 7:36 am

My BRG claim is going to be refunded by check. That mean I get points? Should I go through the promotion thread and sign up to whatever I can?
Old May 28, 2012, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by xcalx
Update The full amount + Ł6.50 exchange fee was charged to my CC on 25th May. So I phone this morning and they say they are still in contact with the hotel to get the rate changed. Should this take over a week to adjust and what happens to the exchange fees X2 when refunded.
They will refund your CC for the reservation amount - the exchange rate charges was done by your bank to you but not to them. It happened to me, and SGD went up during that month!
Old May 29, 2012, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I have the opportunity to apply for a BRG in SIN. I want to book 2 separate rooms for my travel buddy and me each using our own PC account.

Can I call in and have them process the BRG on both reservations at the same time? Or do I have to call them in one at a time? I know the answer is probably somewhere in the 1500 posts, but I don't even know how to start looking. Can someone indulge me and give me a quick yes or no?

TIA
Old May 29, 2012, 6:34 pm
neu

Programs: IC ambassador, KF Elite Gold
Free night in Paris IC - Le Grand

Long time reader and first time BRG user but I got a free night in Paris IC - Le Grand June 23rd - 24th 2012. Pity my Royal Ambassador ran out. Would've been nice to say I stayed in a suite in Paris for free.

Hotel rate was 413, competitor rate was 403. Both for AP. I booked and was on the phone with them in 5 minutes and the rep confirmed that the claim was valid in under 10. So total of 15 minutes on an international call.
Old May 29, 2012, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
My claim was denied because, even though the competitive quote was in SGD, the billing currency was AUD. Can anyone suggest a website I can try to find a competitive where it would be billed in SGD? (The only one I could think of was expedia.co.sg and the rate was not lower.)

TIA
Old May 29, 2012, 9:37 pm
neu

Programs: IC ambassador, KF Elite Gold
If you want to shoot me your dates and rates I'll give it a go. I know some people frown upon posting links to sites with lower rates in these threads.
Old May 29, 2012, 10:36 pm
Used to be highman123

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Intercontinental Singapore seems to be consistently cheaper on a well known an brg allowed (same currency) website. I saw many dates within the next 14 days but not beyond as advance purchase rate is not matched. If you are in spore it's a nice way to spend a night on ihgs tab.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.