Wiki Posts
Search

IC: SAMUI BAAN TALING NGAM RESORT -Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2012, 1:42 am

Programs: CO Plat/UA 1K, AA EXP, IC RA

InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort

295 Moo 3, Taling Ngam Beach Koh Samui, TH 84140

InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort (16 Photos)

In the middle of a 5-night stay at this resort. They've been open for just over a week. It has 79 rooms, but is not even half-full. Much is still under construction, including the Club and Boutique. The spa and aquatic center are housed in villas temporarily while their facilities are under construction.

Things got off to a rocky start when our airport transfer wasn't there when we arrived at Koh Samui airport late at night. We had to take a later flight from Bangkok than originally booked due to a schedule change on our connection from Singapore. E-mailed the hotel three days before arrival, and received a confirmation for the new flight and pickup time. When we saw my name printed on a sign left at an empty counter at the airport, we took a taxi to the hotel (a 45-minute ride for THB 1200, half of what the hotel charges for airport transfers). Once we arrived, they apologized and blamed it on Reservations (who I emailed and apparently never updated the front desk) as they still had the old flight as my arrival. I asked for a manager to contact me the next day about this as it was quite late, but no one ever did.

All of our frustrations disappeared once we took the golf cart down to our room. We booked a Tropical Pavilion (to guarantee upgrade to an Ocean View Suite) at a F&F rate of $225/night and got upgraded to a top category $700/night Beachfront Villa with a huge bathroom, private plunge pool, and cabana. Although the villa is not as big as the suite and doesn't have the same spectacular views, we are enjoying the pool and direct beach access, rather than having to take a cart back and forth.

The "hard product" at this resort is pretty spectacular, with incredible views, well-appointed rooms, great breakfast spread, etc. The "soft product" is a bit up and down, as witnessed by the mix-up with our airport transfer and a few other mishaps (our waitress disappearing at dinner, bar counter not wiped down). The staff is friendly overall and tries to please, but the language barrier is an issue and service doesn't compare to some of the better Asian resorts I've been to. Hopefully this will get better with time.

View from the lobby

Looking down on the beach

Infinity pool

Amber Restaurant, where breakfast is served

Someone screwed up on the sign!

Outdoor Lounge

View from lounge

Beachfront Pool Villa

Royal Ambassador Amenity

Minibar

Huge bathroom

View out back of villa

View at sunset

Plunge pool

Outdoor shower

Would you like to write a review on the InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:07 am

Programs: PC Plat/RA, LH FTL
Originally Posted by EWR747
In the middle of a 5-night stay at this resort. They've been open for just over a week. It has 79 rooms, but is not even half-full. Much is still under construction, including the Club and Boutique. The spa and aquatic center are housed in villas temporarily while their facilities are under construction.

All of our frustrations disappeared once we took the golf cart down to our room. We booked a Tropical Pavilion (to guarantee upgrade to an Ocean View Suite) at a F&F rate of $225/night and got upgraded to a top category $700/night Beachfront Villa with a huge bathroom, private plunge pool, and cabana. Although the villa is not as big as the suite and doesn't have the same spectacular views, we are enjoying the pool and direct beach access, rather than having to take a cart back and forth.
Thanks a lot for this first information after opening and enjoy your stay.

I have a booking of theTropical Pavillion in April and looking forward to an upgrade (whichever it is).

Do they have already an idea when the club will be open and who get access?
Old Feb 11, 2012, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Thanks for the update. If possible, can you try to find out when the rest of the hotel will open? Or what it might look like in March or April?
Old Feb 11, 2012, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
Thanks for the update and photos. Will be visiting there at the end of March. I also have a few questions if you don't mind. Were taxis readily available at the airport? Did you have to negotiate the price or is it fixed? I've read that the taxi drivers there do not use meters like in Bangkok. Are there places to eat outside of the hotel that are nearby? Thanks and hope you enjoy the rest of your stay. The place looks great!
Old Feb 11, 2012, 3:54 pm

Programs: SQ
This place looks very good, and am planning a visit later on this year. Some pics have been posted on their Facebook page and have enticed me to use some of my points there. Also, the fact that the entry-level room is a decent one makes it a good redemption IMO.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by JRflyer
Do they have already an idea when the club will be open and who get access?
Club and spa should be open in March. Not sure if they will give RA access, but I can try to find out. Right now all guests get breakfast, and I wasn't offered any RA benefit in lieu of the club.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by RxCapt
Thanks for the update and photos. Will be visiting there at the end of March. I also have a few questions if you don't mind. Were taxis readily available at the airport? Did you have to negotiate the price or is it fixed? I've read that the taxi drivers there do not use meters like in Bangkok. Are there places to eat outside of the hotel that are nearby? Thanks and hope you enjoy the rest of your stay. The place looks great!
Taxis are readily available at the airport, even at 10:30 pm when we arrived. Prices are fixed based on destination and you pay in advance at a counter. We were charged n extra THB 200 on top of the regular price to Taling Ngam because they had to "go up the hill" to the resort, and we weren't in a position to negotiate.

Nothing much outside of the hotel. Took a car to a nearby 7-11 yesterday and saw a few restaurants, but nothing that looked great. The hotel has free shuttles to Na Thon and Chaweng beach, but I'm not sure what's available there.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 12:31 am

Programs: Miles&More Senator , EX-SPG Platinum now Bonvoy LTP, IC Platinum , Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks for your great report and pictures. You are about 2 weeks ahead. We also have a 5 night booking by end of the month. It really looks like you are alone in this resort.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Im checking in next week, have a 5 night stay booked.

Booked Ocean View Suite, have been upgraded to Beach Front Villa.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:07 pm

Programs: lh sen
We checked in yesterday, feb 15th, and will stay until feb 19th. We have one room in the main building and one room " on the cliff" but will change to main building.
The hardware is excellent the resort is breathtaking. Unfortunately the breakfast today was a big disappointment. If someone has questions please feel free to ask and we will try our best to give you any advice as long as we are staying here.

Cheers
Old Feb 16, 2012, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by carpetbagger
We checked in yesterday, feb 15th, and will stay until feb 19th. We have one room in the main building and one room " on the cliff" but will change to main building.
The hardware is excellent the resort is breathtaking. Unfortunately the breakfast today was a big disappointment. If someone has questions please feel free to ask and we will try our best to give you any advice as long as we are staying here.

Cheers
Are there any locals offering massages on the beach there? I just love them and at 1/4th the cost of Hotel options it often works out well.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 5:21 am

Thumbs down

sorry, internet ist not working properly in the IC Koh Samui ...

massages are available next door to the IC. around 400 thb by freelancer.

Last edited by carpetbagger; Feb 16, 2012 at 5:31 am
Old Feb 18, 2012, 4:10 am

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Checked in here yesterday in one of the beachfront villas with private pool.

Superb hotel product with fantastic views.

Service as expected for a new hotel needs improving greatly but overall a superb property in an exclusive location
Old Feb 19, 2012, 9:23 pm

Unfortunately the internet in IC Koh Samui is very slow as well as the internet by simcard, therefore I couldn`t give more informations. After four nights here are some remarks:

+ superb view
+ good quality of building
+ spectacular sun set
+ good beds and linen
+ well designed pool

- still contractors in the resort
- pool a little bit small (30 units out of 79 were taken and it seemed full)
- spa not open
- gym not open, guets can use the gym of the neighbouring resort
- no internet in the room yet
- internet in lobby and in the library is not stable
- free mini bar for RA is very limited (3 beers, 4 water, 4 juices, 6 soft drinks - no booze) no refill
- transfer from/to airport is overpriced (2.400 thb), when you ask the transfer is free for RA
- breakfast concept ("eating in the kitchen") is bs, cheese, ham, salmon only if you ask or you have to open the fridge, unpack the cheese and cut it
- only one restaurant is open in the evening - overpriced (1.500 ++ thb buffet)
- staircaises betwenn beach and main building are not open yet
- the driving up and down with the golf carts is annoying
- the villas on the cliff are not really an upgrade
- no fruit basket for RA
- no RA gift
- wine and champagne is expensive (200 us $ a cheap bottle of champagne, 80 us $ a bottle of normal australian wine)

Last edited by carpetbagger; Feb 19, 2012 at 9:35 pm
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:02 am

Im staying here now also an RA.

Can you confirm that airport pick-up for Royal Ambassador is free? As i was not advised of this and should have been

My room (villa on beach) has two minibars fully stocked with beers and a huge wine / champagne minibar, with two bottles of champagne, 4 types of white wine, 4 types of red, 2 rose etc.

I also have liquour with 20cl bottles of Chivas Regal, Beefeater Gin, Absolut Vodka, Hennessy etc and of course its all free for RA.

So the inconsistencies in service is not good, im dissapointed with levels of service and lack of restaurants and dining options.

Room service is terrible, all you get is cold food.

The hard product is awesome but staff and service is poor with poor organisation and communication.

The lack of gym and spa (especially on rainy days) is very dissapointing, contractors and noise everywhere also bot good.

Im sure this hotel will be awesome once fully open and service is sorted.

Originally Posted by carpetbagger
Unfortunately the internet in IC Koh Samui is very slow as well as the internet by simcard, therefore I couldn`t give more informations. After four nights here are some remarks:

+ superb view
+ good quality of building
+ spectacular sun set
+ good beds and linen
+ well designed pool

- still contractors in the resort
- pool a little bit small (30 units out of 79 were taken and it seemed full)
- spa not open
- gym not open, guets can use the gym of the neighbouring resort
- no internet in the room yet
- internet in lobby and in the library is not stable
- free mini bar for RA is very limited (3 beers, 4 water, 4 juices, 6 soft drinks - no booze) no refill
- transfer from/to airport is overpriced (2.400 thb), when you ask the transfer is free for RA
- breakfast concept ("eating in the kitchen") is bs, cheese, ham, salmon only if you ask or you have to open the fridge, unpack the cheese and cut it
- only one restaurant is open in the evening - overpriced (1.500 ++ thb buffet)
- staircaises betwenn beach and main building are not open yet
- the driving up and down with the golf carts is annoying
- the villas on the cliff are not really an upgrade
- no fruit basket for RA
- no RA gift
- wine and champagne is expensive (200 us $ a cheap bottle of champagne, 80 us $ a bottle of normal australian wine)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.