IC: SAMUI BAAN TALING NGAM RESORT -Thailand

Old Apr 8, 18, 3:58 pm
  #421  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: MAN and LON
Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IC RA, Kimpton Inner Circle, Amex Plat
Posts: 13,650
Originally Posted by palermo View Post
I was there three times on points. There is no way I would pay the actual rates they are asking for. Totally overpriced. For a place that retails at euro350+, it is a dump.

Funnily enough some of the suites (not the ones on the beach) are on Airbnb and they go for 100 or less a night most of the time outside peak times. Not sure how people got to own them. Maybe original designer or architect?

Meals at Amber and Flames are poor and service at flames is terrible.

The place has a big focus on weddings and this is an annoyance specially when they allow people attending the wedding staying at other hotels to use the pool.

Much better options elsewhere in KS
I think this place (like I think the IC BKK now) is very focused upon Asian (particularly Korean and Japanese) package tour guests on relatively short duration (3 to 5 day) stays. I don't stay at IC's and book direct for a package tour type experience that is the bottom line.

I think it is very difficult to balance the needs of package guests with those of full paying direct customers, they tend to have different asks which tend not to be terribly compatible.
Land-of-Miles is offline  
Old Apr 12, 18, 2:47 am
  #422  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Stuck on this planet - mainly in STR and LAX
Posts: 4,521
In case somebody needs transportation between airport and back:
I was using the following service on the way back:
SamuiTaxi.com:: Koh Samui Taxi-Transfer Service from/to Samui Airport & Hotel
Select Baan Taling Ngam
Price is 990 bath per direction. Nice fairly new SUV, professional driver No need to prepay. Just pay driver.

After my fairly negative review (which I stand by - even more after a few more experiences at the hotel) let me just say a few things:
- no hotel is perfect. You can just compare it with other similar places (which I did with the result that I would rather go to the IC Hua Hin or IC Pattaya than to this hotel)
- and expectations are different. When you stand at the deck of your room you can either admire the view or see the cell phone tower in the middle of the resort close to your room with antennas pointing at you.
- when you think of going to a different place for dinner you can either happily pay over 50 USD for a quick ride to a local restaurant and be happy that you are driven there safely in a nice car. Or you can feel like they try to take advantage of you since they don't call regular taxis.
Unterwegs is offline  
Old Apr 29, 18, 5:00 am
  #423  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DUB/EZE
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 363
Originally Posted by Unterwegs View Post
In case somebody needs transportation between airport and back:
I was using the following service on the way back:
SamuiTaxi.com:: Koh Samui Taxi-Transfer Service from/to Samui Airport & Hotel
Select Baan Taling Ngam
Price is 990 bath per direction. Nice fairly new SUV, professional driver No need to prepay. Just pay driver.

After my fairly negative review (which I stand by - even more after a few more experiences at the hotel) let me just say a few things:
- no hotel is perfect. You can just compare it with other similar places (which I did with the result that I would rather go to the IC Hua Hin or IC Pattaya than to this hotel)
- and expectations are different. When you stand at the deck of your room you can either admire the view or see the cell phone tower in the middle of the resort close to your room with antennas pointing at you.
- when you think of going to a different place for dinner you can either happily pay over 50 USD for a quick ride to a local restaurant and be happy that you are driven there safely in a nice car. Or you can feel like they try to take advantage of you since they don't call regular taxis.
Re transfer, there are plenty of good and reliable companies which will even do it for 800THB and, if you do some research, reliability/safety is not a problem so it pays shopping around. I have always used a small travel agency who is owned by a Scottish woman and her Thai husband. I cannot remember the name but yes, I would avoid using the overpriced hotel service.

In relation to dining, there are a few nearby good places that offer a free ride from and to the hotel if you schedule this a few hours ahead via WhatsApp or a call. Considering the quality of the food at the hotel, I would consider dine out most of the times. Alternatively, you can go to Chaweng. Taxi to Chaweng should be 800THB either way. It is difficult to get a taxi at the hotel so I would arrange transportation via phone/email in advance with one of the companies used for transfer the airpor orr otherwise used their overpriced and limited shuttle to Chaweng. I use it three times and we were always the only party in the shuttle so it is like a private taxi in a way.

Location is remote and the hotel sure ensure that taxis are easily available . This is well executed by the IC Danang for instance.

I agree that no hotel is perfect but I found the IC Samui frustrating when. you consider the price ranges and the potential.
palermo is offline  
Old Apr 29, 18, 5:41 am
  #424  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: YUL
Programs: Occasional RTW club
Posts: 6,152
Originally Posted by palermo View Post
Re transfer, there are plenty of good and reliable companies which will even do it for 800THB and, if you do some research, reliability/safety is not a problem so it pays shopping around. I have always used a small travel agency who is owned by a Scottish woman and her Thai husband. I cannot remember the name but yes, I would avoid using the overpriced hotel service.

In relation to dining, there are a few nearby good places that offer a free ride from and to the hotel if you schedule this a few hours ahead via WhatsApp or a call. Considering the quality of the food at the hotel, I would consider dine out most of the times. Alternatively, you can go to Chaweng. Taxi to Chaweng should be 800THB either way. It is difficult to get a taxi at the hotel so I would arrange transportation via phone/email in advance with one of the companies used for transfer the airpor orr otherwise used their overpriced and limited shuttle to Chaweng. I use it three times and we were always the only party in the shuttle so it is like a private taxi in a way.

Location is remote and the hotel sure ensure that taxis are easily available . This is well executed by the IC Danang for instance.

I agree that no hotel is perfect but I found the IC Samui frustrating when. you consider the price ranges and the potential.
I rented a car, and quite literally none of this was a problem. I understand not everyone feels comfortable driving in a foreign land, but Koh Samui is definitely not as crazy as some other places.
Pseudo Nim is offline  
Old May 27, 18, 10:27 pm
  #425  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 4
Hi - looking to book the 2bedroom villa (4 adults/2 children) in the coming weeks. Being a Royal Amb can someone tell me what is in the mini bar? I know at the Inter Pattaya you get the 1/4 bottles which was fantastic. Thanks
Li Chinh is offline  
Old May 28, 18, 3:45 am
  #426  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: MAN and LON
Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IC RA, Kimpton Inner Circle, Amex Plat
Posts: 13,650
Originally Posted by Li Chinh View Post
Hi - looking to book the 2bedroom villa (4 adults/2 children) in the coming weeks. Being a Royal Amb can someone tell me what is in the mini bar? I know at the Inter Pattaya you get the 1/4 bottles which was fantastic. Thanks
You get the 1/4 bottles but no refresh of them throughout your stay.
Land-of-Miles is offline  
Old May 28, 18, 4:17 am
  #427  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: YUL
Programs: Occasional RTW club
Posts: 6,152
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles View Post
You get the 1/4 bottles but no refresh of them throughout your stay.
You sure? Mine got refreshed daily. At some point I couldn’t hoard anymore ... lol
Pseudo Nim is offline  
Old May 28, 18, 5:33 am
  #428  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: MAN and LON
Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IC RA, Kimpton Inner Circle, Amex Plat
Posts: 13,650
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post

You sure? Mine got refreshed daily. At some point I couldn’t hoard anymore ... lol
Sorry my bad, been about 18 months since we were there but was told one refresh of everything only which they might optionally change to refresh one thing more than once but no more than one refresh of all bottles. I think this is a bit cheap considering but I brought my own gin anyway as I don't like Gordons.
Land-of-Miles is offline  
Old May 29, 18, 12:12 am
  #429  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 4
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles View Post
Sorry my bad, been about 18 months since we were there but was told one refresh of everything only which they might optionally change to refresh one thing more than once but no more than one refresh of all bottles. I think this is a bit cheap considering but I brought my own gin anyway as I don't like Gordons.
Great - Saves me buying Duty Free on the way in and out. I use these bottles on my other trips when not staying at an Inter hotel.
Li Chinh is offline  
Old May 30, 18, 4:38 am
  #430  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: MAN and LON
Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IC RA, Kimpton Inner Circle, Amex Plat
Posts: 13,650
Originally Posted by Li Chinh View Post
Great - Saves me buying Duty Free on the way in and out. I use these bottles on my other trips when not staying at an Inter hotel.
No point in buying duty free really, there is a Tesco not that far away (if you have a car) for periodic replenishment. Spirits are quite lightly taxed in Thailand it is wine that is expensive.
Land-of-Miles is offline  
Old Jun 20, 18, 2:27 pm
  #431  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: London
Programs: Infinity Milage Lands Gold,Star Alliance Gold, IHG Spire RA, Kimpton Inner Circle
Posts: 234
I will be staying here in a couple of weeks and was wondering what the evening drinks selection consists of for club guests I see from the website that air bar has a pretty decent offering but would like to know what makes it on to the club menu.
shoven is online now  
Old Jun 20, 18, 4:43 pm
  #432  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: RBKC
Programs: MUCCI Diamante- that's all that matters
Posts: 542
Originally Posted by shoven View Post
I will be staying here in a couple of weeks and was wondering what the evening drinks selection consists of for club guests I see from the website that air bar has a pretty decent offering but would like to know what makes it on to the club menu.
They offer evening canapés, which are of decent quality. You can ask for refills. Also, there is a red/white wine on offer as part of the club experience, as well as a small selection of cocktails. The cocktails are basically long drinks (spirit and mixer), again, not bad. They also offer some puff straws, nuts and crisps with the drinks though staff may need reminding of this.
arpiuk is offline  
Old Jul 19, 18, 6:28 pm
  #433  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: IHG Spire Royal Amb, HHon Diamond, Marriott Titanium...Airlines: BA Gold (OW Emerald), LH SEN** (*G), QF Gold (LT Silver), VA, UA
Posts: 2,071
Very disappointing stay as a third time guest over the 25 year history of the hotel. It is in desperate need for renovation and everything from the sewage smell around the hotel to the super noisy aircon units and worn furniture and bathroom fittings needs an urgent update. Even the pool villas that are not that old are in a poor state with non functioning and only cold water outdoor showers.

Biggest problem though are the out of control mainland Chinese tour and family groups. Completely destroying what was once a peaceful hotel and also doing damage to the wildlife around as we were told by the staff not to mention the attitude and disrespect for any other travellers. The hotel is trying to keep the hotel full by allowing cheap groups to stay who pay a ridiculous rate and don't even spend any money at the hotel leaving each night on a tour bus.

And they are allowing these groups everything from smoking everywhere in front if dining clients to running around the club lounge (while not being club guests) shouting and taking photos.

Apprently the only time you can safely visit this hotel is now over Xmas. I will not be back!
Unterwegs and demue like this.
Sydfly is offline  
Old Dec 12, 18, 3:39 pm
  #434  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: MAN
Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador
Posts: 282
Does anyone have any recent experience of staying at this hotel? The reviews on Tripadvisor seem to be generally very good.

I have three nights in June 2019 to plan for.
Crofton138 is offline  
Old Dec 12, 18, 11:12 pm
  #435  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Stuck on this planet - mainly in STR and LAX
Posts: 4,521
Originally Posted by Crofton138 View Post
Does anyone have any recent experience of staying at this hotel? The reviews on Tripadvisor seem to be generally very good.

I have three nights in June 2019 to plan for.
I left my review in the Royal Ambassador thread. In short: not happy, too many shortcomings. Would not go back.
Crofton138 likes this.
Unterwegs is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread