Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC: SAMUI BAAN TALING NGAM RESORT -Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: Infinity Milage Lands Gold,Star Alliance Gold, IHG Diamond RA, Kimpton Inner Circle
delete

Last edited by shoven; Mar 18, 2018 at 4:20 pm
Old Mar 18, 2018, 5:15 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
Contemplating paying for Club access. Is this worthwhile?

Also, any experiences of transferring from the airport?

thanks
Old Apr 6, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: UA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy occasionally Bonvoyed Mostly
I was thinking about staying here for 4 nights on an upcoming vacation plan and wanted to know how the "free" club breakfast is ? It says that if you are in one of the club rooms or villas, you get free breakfast in the Amber restaurant. Is the free breakfast just the free breads/croissants or can you order the things on the menu available for breakfast ? The Amber restaurant menu seems to have a lot of things but I didn't find any info on what kind of breakfast you get for free.

Can you please provide some insight based on your experience ? thanks.

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
That isn't the whole story though is it?

For all its faults this property does offer a club experience very similar to that you would get in a club lounge just without the lounge. It is certainly far more similar to a full lounge experience (e.g. Unlimited happy hour drinks within the time slots) than say the Amstel.

Club guests get breakfast in the main restaurant (pretty crowded we thought and not great service), afternoon tea in the main lounge and evening drinks and nibbles at the bar. The lack of physical lounge is not what would put me off this property, is the poor execution of most services.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by darshakthakore
I was thinking about staying here for 4 nights on an upcoming vacation plan and wanted to know how the "free" club breakfast is ? It says that if you are in one of the club rooms or villas, you get free breakfast in the Amber restaurant. Is the free breakfast just the free breads/croissants or can you order the things on the menu available for breakfast ? The Amber restaurant menu seems to have a lot of things but I didn't find any info on what kind of breakfast you get for free.

it is a free full breakfast in the utter chaotic shambles that is Amber
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by surryson

thanks
1. No

2. Yes, rent a car the resort is isolated (as is the much better Conrad nearby) and the added flexibility you get from having a car is very useful.

Old Apr 6, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
Originally Posted by darshakthakore

it’s the full restaurant buffet breakfast.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 9:37 pm

At the resort currently. I am not impressed. Lots of shortcomings.
Arriving by car from the airport (1200 bath one way for 2 people in a minivan - there is a desk just before you finally leave the airport structure, takes almost 1 hour). Nobody there to greet. 2 persons at check in desk, had to ask if we can check in, Nobody there to help with luggage.
At check in no real explanation of resort etc. No letter or other descriptions of benefits for RAs. Only lengthy explanation was that wine and snacks is not included in the free minibar and you get only one set of the liquor bottles per stay.

No club lounge
'Club' consists of normal breakfast in Amber (average with lots of small shortcomings - like no napkin to touch the bread on the cutting board, knife sot sharp,,,,,).
High tea in the afternoon in the bar at lobby level. Reasonable selection of savory and sweet of mixed quality (finger sandwiches completely dried out etc).
Evening cocktails at the bar in front of amber. Nice view, almost drinkable wine, food not up to IC standards (low quality, low quantity).

Btw: they refuse to call a taxi and want you to use their overpriced car service. They seem to take advantage of the location - makes you feel trapped. Food etc is expensive.

Next time in Thailand we will go back to Hua Hin (first choice, nice city and good hotel) or Pattaya (nice hotel, city is a dump) and not come back here.
The recommendation of renting a car is a good one, but make sure you have a nav.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 5:01 am

Programs: Infinity Milage Lands Gold,Star Alliance Gold, IHG Diamond RA, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
At the resort currently. I am not impressed. Lots of shortcomings.
Arriving by car from the airport (1200 bath one way for 2 people in a minivan - there is a desk just before you finally leave the airport structure, takes almost 1 hour). Nobody there to greet. 2 persons at check in desk, had to ask if we can check in, Nobody there to help with luggage.
At check in no real explanation of resort etc. No letter or other descriptions of benefits for RAs. Only lengthy explanation was that wine and snacks is not included in the free minibar and you get only one set of the liquor bottles per stay.

No club lounge
'Club' consists of normal breakfast in Amber (average with lots of small shortcomings - like no napkin to touch the bread on the cutting board, knife sot sharp,,,,,).
High tea in the afternoon in the bar at lobby level. Reasonable selection of savory and sweet of mixed quality (finger sandwiches completely dried out etc).
Evening cocktails at the bar in front of amber. Nice view, almost drinkable wine, food not up to IC standards (low quality, low quantity).

Btw: they refuse to call a taxi and want you to use their overpriced car service. They seem to take advantage of the location - makes you feel trapped. Food etc is expensive.

Next time in Thailand we will go back to Hua Hin (first choice, nice city and good hotel) or Pattaya (nice hotel, city is a dump) and not come back here.
The recommendation of renting a car is a good one, but make sure you have a nav.
I have 5 nights booked in July feeling a little bit uncertain after reading your post, I have stayed at the other IC's in Thailand several times especially Bangkok and have always had great service, I have always enjoyed the club benefits at the other 3 and was looking forward to drinks with a view in the evening at Samui if the wine is not great I really hope they can mix a good cocktail.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by surryson

thanks
I sometimes think I stay at different places that some folks :-)

Airport pick up is good, no delays for us (although a strange little airport ... like small-vill).... it's a 4 wheel drive of some description (can't remember what but a decent one IC branded) .... they do a telephone check in which is very efficient and all the normal limo goodies. Is a bit of trek and have to confess through parts of town I had not considered to ask existed.....having spent some weeks and visits the last year to Thailand I now know are fairly typical in fact. Once you been to Pattaya there isn't much left to shock I guess :-)

The club pack I too was suspicious of but it proved to be solid, in fact very good. You get good tables at the front and rapid service at the Air bar and plenty of nibbles .... typical club lounge in a way, some super, some forgettable.

Afternoon tea I thought was again solid enough (maybe not the Landmark in London and at same prices but solid fare) and they serve it to the pool side as well which as first sounded odd but was very good.....oh and to room. We got stella upgrades from base or near base to those villa's that line the beach....I forget the designation but very good and indeed they will deliver afternoon tea to room and I'm fairly sure I got at least 3 levels of upgrade.

Breakfasts I thought to be very good and well attended. I have read about issues with language .... we experienced few of these and indeed saw enthusiasm and service a plenty. Maybe the clear away was a little quick but that tends be FE Asia for you .... it's a sport at Shanghai Expo! :-)

In fact it impressed me that club and pool side service preferences were communicated between previous stopped IC's stayed previous weeks and provided without even been asked for....every day. Rather cool.

The mini bar situ that Unterwings mentions is true .... but all I'd say is, have a word before you go. They are helpful folks I found.

If you liked the other three IC's I see little reasons why you won't like this one. All three are entirely different but good in their own way. We certainly didn't come away feeling disappointed in any way. That said I asked some of the guys on here before going and got good advice and approached people there before the stay.

The beach is a bit disappointing ..... rubbish and rough sand, mind all the beaches I saw over 5 odd weeks were disappointing.

Also is fair to say there are some F&P aspects to the hotel that could use some sprucing up .... nothing that would grate too much but could do with a buff.

All that said, I'm a bit of soft touch .... so long as folks are bringing me what I need I don't get too upperty. Mrs Attacama tends be not quite so generous when sees poor breakfast service in IC PL, O2, BKK etc but even she was happy here.

I think if you set your stall out politely before you travel you unlikely be disappointed.
Eltham likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 7:05 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
Thank you kindly for all the feedback
Old Apr 7, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
Originally Posted by Atacama40

Airport pick up is good, no delays for us (although a strange little airport ... like small-vill).... it's a 4 wheel drive of some description (can't remember what but a decent one IC branded) .... they do a telephone check in which is very efficient and all the normal limo goodies. Is a bit of trek and have to confess through parts of town I had not considered to ask existed.....having spent some weeks and visits the last year to Thailand I now know are fairly typical in fact. Once you been to Pattaya there isn't much left to shock I guess :-)

The club pack I too was suspicious of but it proved to be solid, in fact very good. You get good tables at the front and rapid service at the Air bar and plenty of nibbles .... typical club lounge in a way, some super, some forgettable.

Afternoon tea I thought was again solid enough (maybe not the Landmark in London and at same prices but solid fare) and they serve it to the pool side as well which as first sounded odd but was very good.....oh and to room. We got stella upgrades from base or near base to those villa's that line the beach....I forget the designation but very good and indeed they will deliver afternoon tea to room and I'm fairly sure I got at least 3 levels of upgrade.

Breakfasts I thought to be very good and well attended. I have read about issues with language .... we experienced few of these and indeed saw enthusiasm and service a plenty. Maybe the clear away was a little quick but that tends be FE Asia for you .... it's a sport at Shanghai Expo! :-)

In fact it impressed me that club and pool side service preferences were communicated between previous stopped IC's stayed previous weeks and provided without even been asked for....every day. Rather cool.

The mini bar situ that Unterwings mentions is true .... but all I'd say is, have a word before you go. They are helpful folks I found.

If you liked the other three IC's I see little reasons why you won't like this one. All three are entirely different but good in their own way. We certainly didn't come away feeling disappointed in any way. That said I asked some of the guys on here before going and got good advice and approached people there before the stay.

The beach is a bit disappointing ..... rubbish and rough sand, mind all the beaches I saw over 5 odd weeks were disappointing.

Also is fair to say there are some F&P aspects to the hotel that could use some sprucing up .... nothing that would grate too much but could do with a buff.

All that said, I'm a bit of soft touch .... so long as folks are bringing me what I need I don't get too upperty. Mrs Attacama tends be not quite so generous when sees poor breakfast service in IC PL, O2, BKK etc but even she was happy here.

I think if you set your stall out politely before you travel you unlikely be disappointed.
Completely agree. We had a lovely stay, and a little bit of groundwork beforehand paid off handsomely. It’s not the best IC by some distance, but it was perfectly fine for us. One’s attitude makes a huge difference to stay quality, not just here but anywhere.
Atacama40 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Eltham

Completely agree. We had a lovely stay, and a little bit of groundwork beforehand paid off handsomely. It’s not the best IC by some distance, but it was perfectly fine for us. One’s attitude makes a huge difference to stay quality, not just here but anywhere.
100% .... standardised elite status delivery is a bad thing .... it never works as a huge percentage of the posts and frustrations on FT confirm. But as you say a little groundwork and some friendly comms is key. That's not to say it should not work a little better.

And in fairness it was reading posts by folks like unterwings and scubador who clearly know the place well that allows one to find the right person, ask the right question and usually you will get the thing you want.

Like you, that's my experience....rarely fails, even with one or two locations who are a little more distant....it really is a case of not who you know but how you make your case. And my wife put it really well to me a while back...she said that these folks are bored to death in the main serving the same folks with the same things.....so if you differentiate yourself a little and hook up with a little lightness and human glint then they will want to solve your issues and serve you well. It's true, that's how you get the right mini bar contents etc.

Mind whilst that has worked at some of the most beautiful places on the planet it didn't work for me at the HI Regent's Park last week! Got an amazing suite, lovely room goodies and would the desk dragon give me a 2nd drinks voucher? .... not until hell froze over! despite a few goes, she ground me into the floor without so much as a smile! :-) ....
Old Apr 8, 2018, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Atacama40

Whilst we went at a very busy time, I could not have had a more different experience. Service standards across the piece are appalling (in fact they make the IC O2 and IC PL appear world class). This was not helped by having booked a beach villa which I found underwhelming and overpriced (and as a RA we still seemed to receive one of the worst units). Practically every single interaction with this property was painful and almost every service was screwed up. My wife is a fluent Thai speaker and whether instructions were conveyed in English or Thai they were equally screwed up in execution.

After 2 days I was so frustrated I cancelled all in resort F&B reservations and drove elsewhere daily for dinner. Thank god we had the car.

It would be a cold day in hell before I spent another £5k there is all I will say. This place had by far the worst service of any IC I have ever stayed in. I could not have been more disappointed as we had a very different stay last time we went to this property in Royal Meridien guise.
Unterwegs likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Whilst we went at a very busy time, I could not have had a more different experience. Service standards across the piece are appalling (in fact they make the IC O2 and IC PL appear world class). This was not helped by having booked a beach villa which I found underwhelming and overpriced (and as a RA we still seemed to receive one of the worst units). Practically every single interaction with this property was painful and almost every service was screwed up. My wife is a fluent Thai speaker and whether instructions were conveyed in English or Thai they were equally screwed up in execution.

After 2 days I was so frustrated I cancelled all in resort F&B reservations and drove elsewhere daily for dinner. Thank god we had the car.

It would be a cold day in hell before I spent another £5k there is all I will say. This place had by far the worst service of any IC I have ever stayed in. I could not have been more disappointed as we had a very different stay last time we went to this property in Royal Meridien guise.
In fairness I did read your review before we booked and went. It was useful to understand the data shared.

Does surprise me but I believe fully what you describe without a doubt. And in fairness I've read your comments at other locations and when we both been in same area at same time and witnessed the same service level good or bad.....I'm thinking back to IC PL Club Lounge breakfast service you mentioned maybe this time last year.....have to say we agreed it was as bad as you mentioned. I have a feeling we were sitting by you when you complained....correctly I have to say.

It prompts a thread in it's own right.....the worst ever IC ... and why.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP IC AMBASSADOR/DIAMOND Tk/ELITE (*G), JumeirahONE Gold
I was there three times on points. There is no way I would pay the actual rates they are asking for. Totally overpriced. For a place that retails at euro350+, it is a dump.

Funnily enough some of the suites (not the ones on the beach) are on Airbnb and they go for 100 or less a night most of the time outside peak times. Not sure how people got to own them. Maybe original designer or architect?

Meals at Amber and Flames are poor and service at flames is terrible.

The place has a big focus on weddings and this is an annoyance specially when they allow people attending the wedding staying at other hotels to use the pool.

Much better options elsewhere in KS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.