Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any luck getting room upgrades on stay with points?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2011, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Any luck getting room upgrades on stay with points?

Currently a plat, looking to book a stay with points for 3 nights at the ICH in Sydney and 3 nights at the Holiday Inn in Cairns....wondering if I can get a room upgrade even though I'm paying with points.

also, debating upgrading to ambassador for this trip...with the airport car service and just everything else ambassador comes with...... would that be a good idea?

I'm assuming guaranteed upgrades still apply on stays with points?

Last edited by apolloms; Jul 14, 2011 at 4:30 pm
Old Jul 14, 2011, 9:07 pm

Programs: IC Platinum Ambassador, Fairmont President's Club, AC Altitude Elite 50K
Originally Posted by ianturner
Currently a plat, looking to book a stay with points for 3 nights at the ICH in Sydney and 3 nights at the Holiday Inn in Cairns....wondering if I can get a room upgrade even though I'm paying with points.

also, debating upgrading to ambassador for this trip...with the airport car service and just everything else ambassador comes with...... would that be a good idea?

I'm assuming guaranteed upgrades still apply on stays with points?
Guaranteed upgrades with Ambassador does not apply on point stays. It's up to the individual hotels. That being said, I've never not been upgraded.

I would recommend getting ambassador prior to booking your stay and e-mailing the GM or Guest Relations Director after you've booked.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Shouldn't make a difference at Holiday inns, they generally try to UG plats regardless. But your AMB status means nothing there.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 1:50 am

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8520/4.6.1.314 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/125)

Airport car service isn't free to Amb or RA (free airport transfers for RAs at all hotels would be a great benefit if anyone from IHG is reading this :-)), it's supposed to be discounted but I've never had a rate quoted that was cheaper than just getting a taxi.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 5:01 am

Programs: Hyatt PL, PC Spire/RA, HH GOLD, SPG Green, Marriott Silver, Skywards B, CSA Gold, Lufthansa Paper,UA
Originally Posted by ag51
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8520/4.6.1.314 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/125)

Airport car service isn't free to Amb or RA (free airport transfers for RAs at all hotels would be a great benefit if anyone from IHG is reading this :-)), it's supposed to be discounted but I've never had a rate quoted that was cheaper than just getting a taxi.
but the car usually way better (if it matters)
Old Jul 15, 2011, 12:59 pm
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I just stayed at the ICH Sydney last week (Plat Ambassador) on points. At checkin, they offered upgrade to the Executive floor, but the charge was $120AUD per night.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Hoc
I just stayed at the ICH Sydney last week (Plat Ambassador) on points. At checkin, they offered upgrade to the Executive floor, but the charge was $120AUD per night.
So how is that an upgrade, if you're paying for it?

I've had pretty good luck with upgrades when staying on points, but I'm guessing Australia is different...
Old Jul 16, 2011, 12:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Gold, IC Amb and Plat, HH Diamond
IHG policy is no upgrade for points stays, but sometimes individual properties give them. Very hit and miss, The best advice is not to expect anything and don't be disappointed if that's exactly what you receive, anything else is a nice bonus. Not sure on the ambassador upgrade for points, I'll defer to other posters on that one, but if that's the only time you'll be using it then probably not worth the gamble, maybe simpler to offer to pay for an upgrade if nothing offered when you arrive, often can bag a bargain if inventory is there.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 2:48 pm

Programs: IC/AMB - Diamond Elite, AC E50K, AA, AM-Onyx, HH-Diamond, BW, Choice - Gold
For Ambassador and RA , the no upgrade policy also applies on reward nights, as per the T&Cs:

"When staying on Reward Nights, all Ambassador and Royal Ambassador privileges apply with the exception of upgrades, free Pay TV film per stay, 24 hour guaranteed room availability, 8:00am early check-in and complimentary mini bar beverages. Ambassadors are charged Single Rate for Double Room Occupancy."

However, many properties do offer more than what the T&Cs state.

mxm135
Old Jul 17, 2011, 5:12 am

Programs: UA Premier Exec; AA Platinum; SPG Gold; PC Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by Bjmcisaac
I would recommend getting ambassador prior to booking your stay and e-mailing the GM or Guest Relations Director after you've booked.
I asked at check-in if I bought an Ambassador membership, would they upgrade me for my current stay (on points), and they were very glad to do so. Think that IC front desk people get graded/spiffed on how many Ambassador memberships they sign up, so they are motivated to give you the upgrade.

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Shouldn't make a difference at Holiday inns, they generally try to UG plats regardless. But your AMB status means nothing there.
Ambassador = PC Gold
Old Jul 18, 2011, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by anothersuitcase
Very hit and miss, The best advice is not to expect anything and don't be disappointed if that's exactly what you receive, anything else is a nice bonus.
My experience is more hit than miss, but good advice above. ^
Old Jul 18, 2011, 1:09 am

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
A bit difficult to determine if the room is an upgrade or not as rooms are subjective at best. At a stay at the Mark Hopkins last weekend one night was a paid night and one night was an award night. I asked if the Platinum and Ambassador status was taken into consideration and the staff indicated yes but no futher explaination. The 4 PM checkout was appreciated and the room was on the 12th floor but no free breakfast or free mini bar or suite. Ironically the view was the least desired view so I was a bit disappointed.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 9:05 am

Got upgraded to Club at CPH Towers as Plat. Lounge is open 24/7.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.