FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   What should I do? Someone is using my acct # (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1236638-what-should-i-do-someone-using-my-acct.html)

GetawaysRus Jul 13, 2011 1:57 pm

What should I do? Someone is using my acct #

I find this pretty odd. I have quite a number of points/miles programs with a variety of airlines and hotel chains. But I'm having an issue with Priority Club.

I received an email yesterday from Priority Club that I have a 4-night reservation at a Holiday Inn Express beginning on July 16. The only problem is that I did not make this reservation and I have no plans to visit this hotel. Someone else gave PC my account number, so PC assigned the reservation to me.

I phoned PC last night. So I know that this is not an award reservation (that would use my points) - the party will be paying for this hotel stay. The room is being held with a credit card, and I did learn that the last 4 digits of the credit card do not match any of my cards. They were unable or unwilling to release any other information.

So this is pretty creepy. I could sit back and collect the points for the stay, which I assume may be credited to my account. I asked the CSR about changing my PC account number, but they did not want to do that. Perhaps this is someone who is making an innocent mistake and simply gave PC the wrong account number when they made the reservation. If I allow dark thoughts to enter my mind, perhaps this is my ex-wife (who might know my account number and address) - in the event that it is the ex, I changed the phone number in my PC account to a number that she would not know. The CSR assured me that if anyone calls representing to be me, they would have to provide my name, address, and a correct phone numaber for verification.

Anyone have this happen before? Any advice about what to do?

freq7381 Jul 13, 2011 2:01 pm

Be nice. Call and let them know truth

CokeandTaco Jul 13, 2011 4:12 pm

The obvious choice is to call again and get everything straightened out. That is what I would do.
Just curious......can you see the reservation online with the confirmation #? If yes, you should be able to see the name/names that are listed in the reservation.

Spock Seat Jul 13, 2011 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by GetawaysRus (Post 16721924)
Any advice about what to do?

Did you cancel the rogue reservation, and then change your password?

Spock Seat.

GetawaysRus Jul 13, 2011 6:05 pm

I've called Priority Club twice - first the reservation line, and then Guest Relations (800-621-0555).

The reservation clerk did zip. The rep at Guest Relations was more helpful. He advised putting some documentation in what he called their "corporate system" that this has happened. If it were to happen again, there will therefore be a clear record in my account that something fishy is going on. We discussed canceling the reservation, but it is possible that it is a simple and innocent error on someone's part (maybe they mis-spoke their PC account number, and that may get corrected at check-in). I didn't want someone to show up and be out of luck for a room if it's an innocent error.

Yes, I can see the rogue reservation online if I sign on to the ICH website (along with a legit reservation that I've made for myself later this year).

The CSR in Guest Relations was only able to tell me that the reservation was made using my PC account number, so my name/address/phone are automatically attached to it by their system (and that's how I got that automated email just the other day). The rep couldn't see the name of the person who made it or anything else that might have been a clue. I also don't see anthing more when I check my PC account online.

Because ICH hotels do send an automated email for reservations, I'm hoping that I'll be able to pick up if there is any funny business in the future.

Changing my password is probably a good idea (though that will be yet another darn password to try to remember). Changing the password would stop someone from hacking my account online, but I don't think it would stop someone from trying to make a reservation by phone. I think I mentioned above that I've already changed the phone number that ICH hotels has for me.

view-with-a-room Jul 13, 2011 6:10 pm

The entire ICH system was down for two days! Did the IHC staff both to mention the ICH system was down for two days and all reservations were completed via phone? No one at IHC will take ownership of the issue so you must take ownership of the issue. Log on and cancel the reservation so you are not charged for a no show.

Dave Noble Jul 13, 2011 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by view-with-a-room (Post 16723389)
The entire ICH system was down for two days! Did the IHC staff both to mention the ICH system was down for two days and all reservations were completed via phone? No one at IHC will take ownership of the issue so you must take ownership of the issue. Log on and cancel the reservation so you are not charged for a no show.

Why really worry. The credit card used to secure the booking is not any of the OP's

Dave

CokeandTaco Jul 13, 2011 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by GetawaysRus (Post 16723353)
The CSR in Guest Relations was only able to tell me that the reservation was made using my PC account number, so my name/address/phone are automatically attached to it by their system (and that's how I got that automated email just the other day). The rep couldn't see the name of the person who made it or anything else that might have been a clue. I also don't see anthing more when I check my PC account online.

This statement from CSR sounds dubious. How could your name be attached to the reservation? I always assumed you had to be logged-in to your PC account during the reservation for your information to be shown? Of course, I could be wrong. Maybe this was a phone reservation?
Strange story......Best of luck....

Flying Lawyer Jul 13, 2011 11:11 pm

Most likely the same name and somebody attached the number to the reservation. Happened to me quite a few times and I had no reason to complain.

SpaceAce Jul 13, 2011 11:22 pm

I've had this happen once before and it was a non-event. That it was attached to my PC account didn't attach the credit card info. Never saw the points, so I presume it was corrected at check in by whoever was really staying there. There's about zero chance it was someone else with my name.

Markie Jul 13, 2011 11:28 pm

Happened to me as well - I just cancelled the reservation and changed my PIN.

3544quebec Jul 13, 2011 11:54 pm

I wouldn't assume a benign outcome. While it is almost certainly an innocent mistake, I have checked in and found that the reservation was in the correct name but the address and PC number of some other 3544quebec was in the system. If the reservation is in your account another GetawaysRus will not be able to view the reservation or cancel it. I have just had the HI Brussels Airport post a stay to my account for a date that I was in Brisbane. While I appreciate the 4853 pts I don't take kindly to the 135 Euro that has been charged to my credit card. And to top it off Amex tell me that since I had a stay at the hotel 6 months ago its not fraud but a merchant error and the responsibility is mine to correct the erroneous charge!

I don't think you should feel any responsibility to either IHG or the other GetawaysRus when it may land you with a charge to your CC which will involve more hassle for you to resolve

mnredfox Jul 14, 2011 12:21 am

Originally Posted by Markie (Post 16724685)
Happened to me as well - I just cancelled the reservation and changed my PIN.

+1, and make sure PC documents this somehow.

Spock Seat Jul 14, 2011 9:33 am

Originally Posted by GetawaysRus (Post 16723353)
Changing my password is probably a good idea (though that will be yet another darn password to try to remember). Changing the password would stop someone from hacking my account online, but I don't think it would stop someone from trying to make a reservation by phone. I think I mentioned above that I've already changed the phone number that ICH hotels has for me.

It's the only idea. There are no other options, and no questions. From that, have CS transfer all your points and status to a new account and demand no less. Accounts are not teddy bears, they are practically bank accounts, but with "currencies" not backed up by Fed, ECB, and the Ag-Bank of China.

I would treat it as such, rather than worry about what numbers you would have to remember later on. Outrageous. Good luck.

Spock Seat.

RatherBeOnATrain Jul 14, 2011 10:19 am

Originally Posted by GetawaysRus (Post 16721924)
Any advice about what to do?

My advice is to register for lots of PC promotions!