What should I do? Someone is using my acct #

Old Jul 14, 2011, 11:22 am

If you dont want to cancel incase of messing someone elses stay up, why not take your credit card details out of your account so they cannot charge it.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 11:46 am

Programs: UA Platinum, IHG Spire ambassador, Hilton gold, Bonvoy??? Platinum
Happened to me twice

This has happened to me twice. Each time I call PC or the hotel to confirm it is not my credit card that is being used. First time I received points and called PC to let them know and they added a note so the other guy would get points and they let me keep the points.

Second time was last week. Confirmed it was not my credit card with the hotel. I have not seen the points yet, so maybe it too is a non issue.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
My advice is to register for lots of PC promotions!
Good suggestion.
What i would do: document somewhere that you actually did inform them about the problem (email for example). Otherwise i would not worry.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
This happened to me once. I called the hotel and they removed the number from the booking.

I also once got 4 nights credit from an IC stay that someone else did. And it triggered a Stay X bonus! This didnt show up beforehand in my bookings.

I would NOT cancel the reservation. Someone has probably mistyped a number somewhere. Why ruin their trip by cancelling their stay?!
Old Jul 15, 2011, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
I could sit back and collect the points for the stay, which I assume may be credited to my account.
Also, consider checking the Promotion Discussion thread to make sure you have not been signed up for some sort of a "Phantom Stays Promotion".
Old Jul 22, 2011, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Thank you all. Here is the final result.

I did follow most of the advice given here. I have changed my phone # of record with Priority Club. Hopefully, if someone calls and represents that they are me, they won't have the correct phone #. I have changed my online PIN. I checked the promos thread and signed up for every promo that looked like a possibility. I have a record of what happened and when I phoned PC to notify them of the reservation error.

This was a 4 night stay at a Holiday Inn Express in the USA.

Today (5 days after "I" checked out) I received over 15,500 points. Ironically, that'll be enough points to push me up to Platinum status this year.

Now I'll just have to watch my account to be sure no one else tries to redeem "my" points. Because PC sent me an email notifying me of this erroneous reservation, I'm hoping that the same will happen again if someone makes a reservation using my points. Another tip-off would be if I were to see my PC account balance suddenly drop when I check AwardWallet.

Last edited by GetawaysRus; Jul 22, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.