FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   2012 London Olympic Hotels (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1235418-2012-london-olympic-hotels.html)

chipsodg Jul 10, 2011 9:39 am

2012 London Olympic Hotels

Has anyone managed to book a HI for the Olympics? If so, any advice woud be greatly appreciated

Need a room for the 11 August, I am a RA

thank you

torcross Jul 10, 2011 9:54 am

Rooms should be bookable 50 weeks in advance, IME it always seems to happen on a Sunday morning (in the UK anyway) so for your date it may be bookable from Sunday 21st August for next year.

I have used this system every year to book HIX Cheltenham that I can book on points for 15000 points a night or pay £375 a night (this is because of the horse racing festival) as it is at the moment. The points option only seems to last a day or 2 so I always get in early, I suspect it will be the same for London next summer, get in early and you should be ok.

Raffles Jul 10, 2011 10:15 am

As HI is a sponsor and, I believe, paid by donating rooms, you may be unlucky.

Me2Earth Jul 10, 2011 3:34 pm

I am also going to the 2012 Olympics for about a week.

Is IC a good choice base on its location? Or any other hotel ( HI / CP) which is better? I am an RA though, so I prefer staying in an IC. Yes I am going to use a lot of points and hopefully there is a pointbreaks there.

I have just observed that when there is a huge event in a particular place they offer nice hotel near the area. Like the last World Cup ( IC Johannesburg) and a huge boxing fight and Superbowl in Dallas last year ( I got IC Dallas and lots of CP/HI nearby).

Raffles Jul 11, 2011 1:07 am

Originally Posted by Me2Earth (Post 16704462)

Is IC a good choice base on its location? Or any other hotel ( HI / CP) which is better? I am an RA though, so I prefer staying in an IC. Yes I am going to use a lot of points and hopefully there is a pointbreaks there.

Ha ha ha ha.

Almost all 4 and 5 star hotels in Central London were 'given' to the IOC as part of the Olympic bid. 40,000 rooms were handed over - that is pretty much every decent bed in the central area. This does NOT include the beds required for all the TV crews and the like, those 40,000 are for the IOC, sponsors and national athletic federations.

You have zero chance of getting into the IC. You probably have zero chance of getting into any PC hotel in central London - I imagine their sponsorship deal also meant handing over all the HIE's. Your best bet is to keep away from the UK if at all possible.

The UK newspapers are showing 2-star properties listed at £300-£500 per night during the games, and insisting on payment up front with no cancellations.

Shantanu Jul 11, 2011 1:51 am

I suggest making a friend who lives not too far away!

I live in the middle of Epping Forest, but still only a 15 minute drive away from the site in normal traffic......and, I have tickets!....and I also already have requests for people to stay for the whole Olympics.

markdg Jul 11, 2011 1:52 am

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 16706436)
Ha ha ha ha.

Almost all 4 and 5 star hotels in Central London were 'given' to the IOC as part of the Olympic bid.

Just to note, that is standard practice in every country that has the Olympics - it's not just a London thing.

Shantanu Jul 11, 2011 1:57 am

Why not try the newly built hotels which are not due to open until later this year or early next year?

I presume everything in Docklands is already block sold, but there are new properties to open on the Westfield Stratford site, as well as an aloft at the Docklands Excel. I would also try the Holiday Inn Express in Greenwich too...even though it is on the wrong side of the river, it isn't far from the Olympics on the Jubilee Line.

I would definitely look for hotels using the tube, overground and DLR maps.

Raffles Jul 11, 2011 2:23 am

Originally Posted by Shantanu (Post 16706538)
Why not try the newly built hotels which are not due to open until later this year or early next year?

I presume everything in Docklands is already block sold, but there are new properties to open on the Westfield Stratford site, as well as an aloft at the Docklands Excel. I would also try the Holiday Inn Express in Greenwich too...even though it is on the wrong side of the river, it isn't far from the Olympics on the Jubilee Line.

I would definitely look for hotels using the tube, overground and DLR maps.

As Westfield is DIRECTLY opposite the stadium, I doubt you'll be getting in there :D

Similarly, the aloft is only a couple of DLR stops away. The HIE in Greenwich will presumably be booked for the showjumping, which takes place in Greenwich.

Your best bet may be, for eg, the HIE in Croydon. 5 minutes walk to a railway station that will get you into London in 15 minutes.

boar Jul 11, 2011 3:28 am

Originally Posted by Me2Earth (Post 16704462)

I have just observed that when there is a huge event in a particular place they offer nice hotel near the area. Like the last World Cup ( IC Johannesburg) and a huge boxing fight and Superbowl in Dallas last year ( I got IC Dallas and lots of CP/HI nearby).

Pointbreak during the Olympics. Great stuff. ;)

I agree with Croydon. Even consider Sevenoaks, Sutton , Slough all close enough to London via train. Even Ashford wouldn't be a bad choice - fast train to St Pancras.

stimpy Jul 11, 2011 5:04 am

I looked at Starwood and they have rooms for sale at all their London properties. However it is ridiculously expensive. I have tickets for one event, but if I go I will probably sleep at a friends house rather than pay 500 quid for a hotel.

ag51 Jul 11, 2011 6:26 am

Hilton are offering rates for before and after the Olympic period, but nothing during (so they've either already sold out, or more likely haven't put them on sale yet).

stimpy Jul 11, 2011 7:09 am

Even staying in a tent will cost £30. Here are some cheaper options.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/london-...5875-23262292/

Shantanu Jul 11, 2011 3:39 pm

I received this info this afternoon and thought it may interest you....

The Staybridge Suites at the Westfield Centre will not be opening until 17th August 2012....so, no good for the Olympics.

The Premier Inn at Westfield Stratford will open in time, and they have confirmed that all rooms will be available to book during the Olympics as soon as they are ready to sell the rooms!

The Holiday Inn Express Stratford says that they will load the Olympics inventory onto the system 50 weeks before the dates, and that they will have availability.....which will undoubtedly be good news for a handful of people who are committed enough to booking rooms there. I would imagine the Holiday Inn Express North Greenwich would be the same too.....but I don't know.

This comes from my ex-girlfriend's grandmother, who works for the Olympic Delivery Authority.....so, I don't know how accurate the information is.....especially coming from her!

offerendum Jul 11, 2011 3:49 pm

[QUOTE=Me2Earth;16704462]

Yes I am going to use a lot of points and hopefully there is a pointbreaks there.

QUOTE]

Hope that´s a joke! To get a room for 40000 points would be more than luck in my eyes...