Wiki Posts
Search

Ants in Hotel, compensation?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2011, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM SkyClub; Starwood Gold, Hertz Gold, HILTON DIAMOND
Ants in Hotel, compensation?

I recently stayed overnight in the Holiday Inn Ronoake, VA ... when we woke up, we found ants crawling all over the wall in our room. They made it into my luggage and all over the desk. I was thoroughly disgusted. We told the front desk on check out about this. I feel like I should get something from Holiday Inn for this - Do they give some sort of compensation or partial refund?
Where should I direct my concern?
Thanks!
Old Jul 9, 2011, 2:56 pm

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Your stay should certainly be free.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Roger Lococco
Your stay should certainly be free.
Who do I contact or write to?
Thanks
Old Jul 9, 2011, 3:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If I woke up and found ants crawling into my luggage I wouldn't have been waiting till I checked out to inform the staff.
Why didn't you phone the front desk and get someone to come to your room and inspect it? You would have had a far better case for compensation if you had.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 3:48 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
If I woke up and found ants crawling into my luggage I wouldn't have been waiting till I checked out to inform the staff.
Why didn't you phone the front desk and get someone to come to your room and inspect it? You would have had a far better case for compensation if you had.
He was staying one night, so check out may have been minuetes after finding them.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
In Florida the ants are not optional... Not so sure about Virginia, though.

Roaches and bed bugs will follow you home but ants have no interest. Previous issues with Holiday Inns have resulted in nothing whatsoever. A post on TripAdvisor would do the most good for future customers of the hotel. Send an email to customer service but do not expect much of a response.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I woke up and showered... when I looked into my bag to get my clothes, they were swarming around the wall. I was on the 5th floor at the end. My room was next to the maids closet. I called down and then checked out. The response I got was, "Ill have somebody look into it" ... sounded convincing - NOT
Old Jul 10, 2011, 2:53 am

?

I would not expect anything for a minor issue. Did you take any photos?

Best to call house keeping or guest relations and have them come to inspect the problem first. In the cases that I had bugs in my room that were visible to stay it is normally an upgrade, free night, bottle of wine or something like that.

If you mention on departure, i think you got the level of response similar to your implied concern.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 3:58 am
Suspended

I will just to let it go.

Ants are harmless compare with other nasty animals.

There is some work the hotel need to do. But I would not take it further to cause myself stress.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 4:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Gold, IC Amb and Plat, HH Diamond
Smile

Originally Posted by zerafa
?

If you mention on departure, i think you got the level of response similar to your implied concern.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Some locations have ants. Some are harmful, some aren't. I spent 3 weeks in Bali, and in every hotel, from 5 star to 1 star, there were some sort of ants in them. Most were the super tiny type, you had to look very closely to even see them. Never got bit from any of them.

Customers leaving out food, is also a reason while there are many critters around, too. I left some Hyatt cookies they had given me out on the balcony one day. Only to come back and find a squirrel was chowing down.

If you got stung, or were injured, I can imagine some compensation. Otherwise, since it affected such a small part of your stay, I would let it go. Perhaps you have Myrmecophobia?
Old Jul 10, 2011, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by RamAir
I woke up and showered... when I looked into my bag to get my clothes, they were swarming around the wall. I was on the 5th floor at the end. My room was next to the maids closet. I called down and then checked out. The response I got was, "Ill have somebody look into it" ... sounded convincing - NOT
So what do you expect? You check out, do not really complain, just pay and depart. At the stage of check-out you should have said "I want to ...". At this stage, everything is settled and you should close the file.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 2:24 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, BW Diamond Select, Wyndham Gold
They could at least give you a copy of this DVD:

http://www.amazon.com/Them-Snap-Case...0329049&sr=1-1
Old Jul 10, 2011, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Contact the GM and IHG/PC.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 5:21 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC Gold, IC Plat Amb, Accor Gold
Just wondering what loss or harm you suffered for which compensation is required?
It would be helpful to let the hotel know so that they can rectify the problem if the housekeeping staff don't notice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.