Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 21, 2014, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
FAQs
1. What are the current types of free-night certificates (FNC)?
2. Where do I find the FNC(s) in my IHG online account?
3. Is a FNC revoked if I cancel my Chase card?
4. If I make a reservation using my FNC and then need to cancel, are there any special procedures? Do I have to call IHG?
5. Can I use my FNC for a date past the certificate's expiration, provided that I make the reservation prior to that expiration date?
6. Can I trade/gift my FNC?
7. If I have multiple IHG cards (other than the Traveler card), do I get more than one FNC?

1. What are the current types of free-night certificates (FNC)?

As of April 2023, there are four different active FNC types. Described below in order from newest to oldest (roughly), they will appear in your account under the following headings:
  • Premier Credit Card Annual Flex Night: The anniversary FNC, good for a base room up to 40K points, for the personal Premier card. This FNC is described as “flex” because you can redeem for an award in excess of 40K by adding points on top of the FNC (aka "topping up").
    • Note: points used to top up a Flex FNC are not subject to the 10% rebate for Select cardholders.
  • Business Credit Card Annual Flex Night: The anniversary FNC for the IHG Business card. This is identical in all respects to the Premier flex cert.
  • New Cardmember Bonus Free Night: Some recent offers for the personal Premier card have included one or more FNCs in the signup bonus. These FNCs are capped at 40K value; there is no "flex"/"top-up" option.
  • Select Credit Card Anniversary Night: The anniversary FNC for the older Select card, for which Chase stopped accepting applications in 2018. As with the previous category, this FNC type has a hard cap of 40K redemption value.
Depending on how long you have been a Chase IHG cardholder and which cards you've held, your FNC Details page may also display a placeholder section ("0 Anniversary Nights") for two other FNC types that no longer exist:
  • Premier Credit Card Anniversary Night: Prior to March 24, 2022, the personal Premier card FNC was hard-capped at 40K value. On March 24, all unused FNCs of this type were automatically converted to Premier "flex" FNCs as described above.
  • Credit Card Anniversary Night: Prior to May 1, 2018, anniversary FNCs for the Select card were uncapped--that is, they could be used at any IHG property.

2. Where do I find the FNC(s) in my IHG online account?

After you log into the website, click on the section at the top of the window showing your first name and current point balance. This will take you to the Overview page of the My Account section. Underneath the gray box showing your status level, member number, and points balance you will see a submenu with "Overview" selected. Click on "Rewards Wallet" to go to the page summarizing your FNCs. Click "Details" to see the type(s) of FNC(s) in your account.

You can also go directly to the Details page by logging in and visiting http://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/us/en...gmt/freenights (for English-speaking US members).

3. Is a FNC revoked if I cancel my Chase card?

No.

4. If I make a reservation using my FNC and then need to cancel, are there any special procedures? Do I have to call IHG?

You may cancel your reservation online using the same process as for any other reservation. The certificate is normally returned to your account immediately and available for re-use with no wait and no need to call IHG. For unknown reasons, on rare occasions a FNC will not instantly reappear; in such cases, call IHG customer service to have the FNC redeposited manually.

5. Can I use my FNC for a date past the certificate's expiration, provided that I make the reservation prior to that expiration date?

As of January 2019, members are reporting that they are unable to do this.
Formerly, some members reported success in doing this. (See, for example, the discussion at post #516.) Two basic recommendations:
  • It is advisable to obtain advance written confirmation, ideally from the hotel itself, that your certificate will be honored under these circumstances.
    • At least one FTer reports having successfully booked post-expiration stays without confirming with the property in advance; see posts 719 & 723. YMMV.
  • Once the certificate expiration date passes, you will not be able to make any changes to the reservation (occupancy, date, room type, etc).

6. Can I trade/gift my FNC?

No. FNCs are non-transferable.

7. If I have multiple IHG cards (other than the Traveler card), do I get more than one FNC each year?

Yes. The Select card (legacy), the personal Premier card, and the Premier Business card all include an anniversary FNC as a benefit. But note the difference, discussed above, between the Select card FNC--capped at 40K value--and the "flex" FNCs associated with the other cards. The no-fee Traveler card does not provide a FNC benefit.

In previous years, Chase issued the anniversary FNC shortly before the annual fee was billed. More recently, Chase has begun delaying issuance of FNCs until at least 8 weeks after the annual-fee statement date, presumably to prevent accountholders from canceling their cards while keeping the FNC.

Questions related to the extension of the certificate due to the Coronavirus are discussed in its own thread, which is here.

Print Wikipost

Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by rdh0924
My fiancee and I just used my free night cert at the Kimpton Canary in Santa Barbara (70k points/night value) two weeks ago. I figured that was my last year of non-points-based free nights through my IHG card. I just checked and my next free night (valid Jan. 19, 2019 to Jan. 18, 2020) appears to be working at any property, including the new IC Hayman Island and either of the IC Bora Bora properties. What a nice surprise - first I'm hearing of this extension.

Wooooo wonder how long that bug will last. My new certificate won’t be available till July! =(
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by RedElmo

Wooooo wonder how long that bug will last. My new certificate won’t be available till July! =(
They announced the one-year continuation of the old policy last year after some backlash. New anniversary certs will be issued for use at all properties until May 1, when the devaluation kicks in for good.
divinebaboon likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:09 pm

My fiancee and I just used my free night cert at the Kimpton Canary in Santa Barbara (70k points/night value) two weeks ago. I figured that was my last year of non-points-based free nights through my IHG card. I just checked and my next free night (valid Jan. 19, 2019 to Jan. 18, 2020) appears to be working at any property, including the new IC Hayman Island and either of the IC Bora Bora properties. What a nice surprise - first I'm hearing of this extension.
How did you find availability for IC Bora Bora? When I did a search, there was no availability. I don't think i would plan travel to Bora Bora just for a free night stay, but did consider having my stay subsidized since my wife also has an IHG certificate. What's the most value for this certificate on the west coast? I've used it at IC San Francisco, but rooms there during my stay were an average ~300/night. I used it once in Los Angeles as well for a $300/night room.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:21 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum, National EE
Originally Posted by pdragn78
How did you find availability for IC Bora Bora? When I did a search, there was no availability. I don't think i would plan travel to Bora Bora just for a free night stay, but did consider having my stay subsidized since my wife also has an IHG certificate. What's the most value for this certificate on the west coast? I've used it at IC San Francisco, but rooms there during my stay were an average ~300/night. I used it once in Los Angeles as well for a $300/night room.
Hmmm. When I search for the free IHG Chase anniversary night, I just click on see available dates and IC Bora Bora Le Moana has a handful of dates available in May. For instance, May 9-10 has a 1 Double Beach Bungalow available. Thalasso shows May 14 and May 16 as available, but when I search those dates at that hotel it for some reason shows unavailable.

As for best value on the West Coast, I would possibly say one of the Kimptons. The night we stayed at the Kimpton Canary in Santa Barbara would've ran us $700 for the night without the certificate. We've also stayed at the IC Beverly Hills and got upgrade to a corner suite with a nice view. That was pretty good value, though, if memory serves, there's not a lot to do/see/eat right around the hotel that's walkable.

It's all relative, though, as those rates will fluctuate depending on time of year or events going on around the particular dates.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:55 pm

Hmmm. When I search for the free IHG Chase anniversary night, I just click on see available dates and IC Bora Bora Le Moana has a handful of dates available in May. For instance, May 9-10 has a 1 Double Beach Bungalow available. Thalasso shows May 14 and May 16 as available, but when I search those dates at that hotel it for some reason shows unavailable.

As for best value on the West Coast, I would possibly say one of the Kimptons. The night we stayed at the Kimpton Canary in Santa Barbara would've ran us $700 for the night without the certificate. We've also stayed at the IC Beverly Hills and got upgrade to a corner suite with a nice view. That was pretty good value, though, if memory serves, there's not a lot to do/see/eat right around the hotel that's walkable.

It's all relative, though, as those rates will fluctuate depending on time of year or events going on around the particular dates.
Thanks for the tip about the Kimpton. I redid the search using the certificate and you are correct, there does appear to be availability at IC Bora Bora Le Moana. The only room type available is double beach bungalow which averages ~$500 USD/night. I got the same result as you with the Thalasso, calendar shows available, but it goes away when i try to pick those dates. I must have been searching for award night availability instead of certificate availability originally. Thanks for feedback, but don't think I"ll be traveling to Bora Bora to save $500 on a room, lol. Now if it was an over water bungalow- different story.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:39 am

Chase FN (what about travel date >6 months after FN expiration)

I am planing a trip to Asia in October and would like to stay a few days in HKG en route. The flight dates are not certain depending on milage award availability. I am wondering whether I could still make use of a Chase FN cert expiring late Feb in this scenario.

I guess I could still make a guestimate of travel dates and speculatively book a HKG hotel with the FN cert. Question is which hotel at what price point. For example, what happens, if at check-in, hotel says they didn’t receive payment voucher from IHG or cert was already expired (more than 6 months ago), that I have to pay a walk-up cash price or IHG points. We don’t need high end accommodation on this trip, so I was thinking maybe book an HIX could yield easier recovery (I.e., cheaper cash and point price) from a potential mishap with using expired FN cert.

Is this a valid concern or not? I did use expired FN in the past once but it was only a week or so beyond the expiration date and I was on home ground (not on foreign soil).
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum, National EE
As long as it shows as available for the Chase FN when booking on IHG, I haven't heard of it being an issue. I would just make sure you're going to for sure be taking the trip in October because once your certificate is expired, you can't make changes to that reservation or you'll lose the FN.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Have they closed the loophole to be able to book a reservation past the expiration as long as it is booked before expiration? I have not been able to book a reservation in October for my free night that expires in June. When I check to see what nights are available for the free night, the ones that show availability come up unavailable when I try to book. The free night does work as long as I don't go past June. Is anyone else experiencing this?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Richard1148
Have they closed the loophole to be able to book a reservation past the expiration as long as it is booked before expiration? I have not been able to book a reservation in October for my free night that expires in June. When I check to see what nights are available for the free night, the ones that show availability come up unavailable when I try to book. The free night does work as long as I don't go past June. Is anyone else experiencing this?
see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30648555-post967.html
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jbeckett
Thanks. I didn't look back far enough to see that post.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:09 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
I recently got the Chase IHG card, and am not really clear on the free night certificate. The last billing cycle that closed included the annual fee, and I have paid that balance. The way I read the rules, I don't think I have to wait a full year to get a certificate, but am wondering when it will be added to my IHG account. I'm hoping soon as I have an overnight stay in Hong Kong in about a month, and would like to try and use it for the IC. Any guidance would be helpful!
Old Feb 3, 2019, 7:49 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
I recently got the Chase IHG card, and am not really clear on the free night certificate. The last billing cycle that closed included the annual fee, and I have paid that balance. The way I read the rules, I don't think I have to wait a full year to get a certificate, but am wondering when it will be added to my IHG account. I'm hoping soon as I have an overnight stay in Hong Kong in about a month, and would like to try and use it for the IC. Any guidance would be helpful!
The initial free night certificate will be deposited around the time of your first annual renewal of the card, so yes, you’ll have to wait around a year. Also, the certificates are now limited to properties redeeming for 40k points or less per night, so you won’t be able to use it at the ICs in Hong Kong.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 5:41 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Oh well...so much for wishful thinking. Thanks for the help!
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:44 pm

Couple questions—

1. I’m looking to book 4 nights at an IC in NY with my wife. I have 2 certs, my wife 1, my dad 1. The wiki says not transferable but ideally I would book 1 night with each cert and then email the hotel to combine them. On my dad’s reservation, I can comment that I’m checking in. Would this work? I’ve done similar with other hotel certs.

2. The reason I have 2 certs is because my cert that was supposed to expire October 2018 stopped working about an hour early so they just issued me a new cert. This one is called “Chase Anniversary Free Night”. The regular anniversary one is called “Select IHG Rewards Club Credit Card Free Night”. I don’t see any limitations in the terms for either one. When I select either one, it allows me to look at higher category properties but I haven’t gone so far as to book them. Does this mean they’re both uncapped?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Can you book a free night past the exp. date at this point. It seems this may no longer be possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.