Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 21, 2014, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
FAQs
1. What are the current types of free-night certificates (FNC)?
2. Where do I find the FNC(s) in my IHG online account?
3. Is a FNC revoked if I cancel my Chase card?
4. If I make a reservation using my FNC and then need to cancel, are there any special procedures? Do I have to call IHG?
5. Can I use my FNC for a date past the certificate's expiration, provided that I make the reservation prior to that expiration date?
6. Can I trade/gift my FNC?
7. If I have multiple IHG cards (other than the Traveler card), do I get more than one FNC?

1. What are the current types of free-night certificates (FNC)?

As of April 2023, there are four different active FNC types. Described below in order from newest to oldest (roughly), they will appear in your account under the following headings:
  • Premier Credit Card Annual Flex Night: The anniversary FNC, good for a base room up to 40K points, for the personal Premier card. This FNC is described as “flex” because you can redeem for an award in excess of 40K by adding points on top of the FNC (aka "topping up").
    • Note: points used to top up a Flex FNC are not subject to the 10% rebate for Select cardholders.
  • Business Credit Card Annual Flex Night: The anniversary FNC for the IHG Business card. This is identical in all respects to the Premier flex cert.
  • New Cardmember Bonus Free Night: Some recent offers for the personal Premier card have included one or more FNCs in the signup bonus. These FNCs are capped at 40K value; there is no "flex"/"top-up" option.
  • Select Credit Card Anniversary Night: The anniversary FNC for the older Select card, for which Chase stopped accepting applications in 2018. As with the previous category, this FNC type has a hard cap of 40K redemption value.
Depending on how long you have been a Chase IHG cardholder and which cards you've held, your FNC Details page may also display a placeholder section ("0 Anniversary Nights") for two other FNC types that no longer exist:
  • Premier Credit Card Anniversary Night: Prior to March 24, 2022, the personal Premier card FNC was hard-capped at 40K value. On March 24, all unused FNCs of this type were automatically converted to Premier "flex" FNCs as described above.
  • Credit Card Anniversary Night: Prior to May 1, 2018, anniversary FNCs for the Select card were uncapped--that is, they could be used at any IHG property.

2. Where do I find the FNC(s) in my IHG online account?

After you log into the website, click on the section at the top of the window showing your first name and current point balance. This will take you to the Overview page of the My Account section. Underneath the gray box showing your status level, member number, and points balance you will see a submenu with "Overview" selected. Click on "Rewards Wallet" to go to the page summarizing your FNCs. Click "Details" to see the type(s) of FNC(s) in your account.

You can also go directly to the Details page by logging in and visiting http://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/us/en...gmt/freenights (for English-speaking US members).

3. Is a FNC revoked if I cancel my Chase card?

No.

4. If I make a reservation using my FNC and then need to cancel, are there any special procedures? Do I have to call IHG?

You may cancel your reservation online using the same process as for any other reservation. The certificate is normally returned to your account immediately and available for re-use with no wait and no need to call IHG. For unknown reasons, on rare occasions a FNC will not instantly reappear; in such cases, call IHG customer service to have the FNC redeposited manually.

5. Can I use my FNC for a date past the certificate's expiration, provided that I make the reservation prior to that expiration date?

As of January 2019, members are reporting that they are unable to do this.
Formerly, some members reported success in doing this. (See, for example, the discussion at post #516.) Two basic recommendations:
  • It is advisable to obtain advance written confirmation, ideally from the hotel itself, that your certificate will be honored under these circumstances.
    • At least one FTer reports having successfully booked post-expiration stays without confirming with the property in advance; see posts 719 & 723. YMMV.
  • Once the certificate expiration date passes, you will not be able to make any changes to the reservation (occupancy, date, room type, etc).

6. Can I trade/gift my FNC?

No. FNCs are non-transferable.

7. If I have multiple IHG cards (other than the Traveler card), do I get more than one FNC each year?

Yes. The Select card (legacy), the personal Premier card, and the Premier Business card all include an anniversary FNC as a benefit. But note the difference, discussed above, between the Select card FNC--capped at 40K value--and the "flex" FNCs associated with the other cards. The no-fee Traveler card does not provide a FNC benefit.

In previous years, Chase issued the anniversary FNC shortly before the annual fee was billed. More recently, Chase has begun delaying issuance of FNCs until at least 8 weeks after the annual-fee statement date, presumably to prevent accountholders from canceling their cards while keeping the FNC.

Questions related to the extension of the certificate due to the Coronavirus are discussed in its own thread, which is here.

Print Wikipost

Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, CC Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, DL PM
Originally Posted by Keyser
still waiting for mine to post....wanted to use it this weekend but its too late for that now....
My fee was charged around the 1st of the month, but I have yet to receive the anniversary free night. However, they sent me an e-mail in August stating that the free night would post on my anniversary date - which is at the end of the month per the e-mail.
Brendan likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by KathinJax
My fee was charged around the 1st of the month, but I have yet to receive the anniversary free night. However, they sent me an e-mail in August stating that the free night would post on my anniversary date - which is at the end of the month per the e-mail.
i usually get that email but didn't receive it this time....
Brendan likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by KathinJax
My wife didn't receive email notification either. Just appeared on 9/1.
Brendan likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
Do you take any additional measures (like contacting the property directly beforehand) or do you just make a booking as usual?
Book as usual, we get 3 certs, one is my dads that arrives in February. We use all 3 certs in April ( my wife and I have certs that arrive in Sept) so my dads has already expired. We us them almost every year at the Holiday Inn Indian Rocks beach Florida

I put my wife's name on my free night and my dads, she calls the week before we arrive to combine all 3 nights so we don't have to change rooms and that also confirms that my dads free night be honored.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 4:56 pm

No email but I did receive mailers saying the cert would arrive ~ 9/13
Old Sep 17, 2018, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i was going to wait till the end of this week & then call them but the free night posted to my account last night....
Brendan and KathinJax like this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Did your FN cert post on the anniversary date? Before? After?

My husband never receives any email nor postcard on his IHG card about the FN, but in the past the cert just shows up the week of Anniversary, like a couple days before the actual anniversary date which is 09/19. We have not seen the cert yet.

UPDATE

FN shows up today. the day after anniversary date. Never receive any form of reminder for his account. Mine always receives an email a month ahead, sometimes also a postcard mailer. No idea why different treatment because both accounts have not blocked junk mails from IHG.
Brendan likes this.

Last edited by Happy; Sep 20, 2018 at 9:57 am
Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:04 pm

My certificate just expired. I remember the expiration date was 10/5/18 (which is today), and I just logged in at 8:57 PM Pacific time, which is 11:57 PM EST, and the cert was expired. If it expires on 10/5, shouldn't it be available for me to book? Is there anything I can do? IHG customer service isn't the easiest to contact, in my expirience.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 2:46 pm

The same thing happened to me, mine expired on 10.12.18, I logged in at 19:30 on the 12th and my free cert was gone. I contacted support and there response was "Thank you for taking time to contact IHG Rewards Club Service Center.

I can see here that you are one of our loyal Platinum elite members since 2004. Welcome back!

I read your email that you were looking for your Chase Free Night. I can see here that the said Free Night was expired last 12 October 2018. As much as I want to reinstated it, I was unable to do so. For your reference, our members are given an ample time to use their Chase Free Night.

Thank you for your patience and kind understanding on this matter. If you have additional questions, please let us know -- we’d be happy to follow up."
Thanks but expiring on the 12th means that I have through the 12th to redeem my free night. Any suggestions on getting this resolved?
Old Oct 15, 2018, 7:55 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Originally Posted by N0LID
The same thing happened to me, mine expired on 10.12.18, I logged in at 19:30 on the 12th and my free cert was gone. I contacted support and there response was "Thank you for taking time to contact IHG Rewards Club Service Center.

I can see here that you are one of our loyal Platinum elite members since 2004. Welcome back!

I read your email that you were looking for your Chase Free Night. I can see here that the said Free Night was expired last 12 October 2018. As much as I want to reinstated it, I was unable to do so. For your reference, our members are given an ample time to use their Chase Free Night.

Thank you for your patience and kind understanding on this matter. If you have additional questions, please let us know -- we’d be happy to follow up."
Thanks but expiring on the 12th means that I have through the 12th to redeem my free night. Any suggestions on getting this resolved?
Don't wait until the evening of the expiration to try and use it. Likely it is tied to a certain time zone.
ARR72 likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Carl Christensen
Don't wait until the evening of the expiration to try and use it. Likely it is tied to a certain time zone.
Shouldn't that time zone be in the terms and conditions and based on a US time zones?
Old Oct 17, 2018, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Indeed.
365 days from the issuance and then wait till the last day to book ... then wonder why the time zone is not stated in the T&Cs...
What a difference of a day make, literally. And it is not really the program's fault even though in theory the program should specifiy the EXACT hour and minute and in what time zone, the cert would go poof.

One more thing to consider - IHG is a UK-based company. So dont expect everything would be US-centric.
If the Midnight is based on UK time, yes, the midnight has most likely passed at 19:30 US Eastern Summer Time. (12:30AM UK time fwiw).
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
My certificate just expired. I remember the expiration date was 10/5/18 (which is today), and I just logged in at 8:57 PM Pacific time, which is 11:57 PM EST, and the cert was expired. If it expires on 10/5, shouldn't it be available for me to book? Is there anything I can do? IHG customer service isn't the easiest to contact, in my expirience.
Shouldn't that time zone be in the terms and conditions and based on a US time zones?
FYI
IHG is a UK-based company.

Would not be surprised that other than the hotel cancellation deadline (based on hotel's local time), everything else is based on UK time.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by jadecocoa
Just completed a Sept stay with a free night expiry in July. Have done this every year for the last 3 years without any problems.
I'm thinking that certain properties allow this, and maybe others don't.
Or does IHG itself now strictly enforce the stay-by-validity-end-date stipulation?

The quoted post is from 2016.
Any current data on success booking within the stipulated dates of validity, but for a later date of stay?

​​​​​​
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
I booked a room for myself (and a friend), using my wife's free anniversary night (with her consent). Was not possible to remove her name from the reservation online, I added my name as the second person.
Should I (or wife) call the property, attempt to change the names? If not, will there be any issues at check-in?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.