Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 21, 2014, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
FAQs
1. What are the current types of free-night certificates (FNC)?
2. Where do I find the FNC(s) in my IHG online account?
3. Is a FNC revoked if I cancel my Chase card?
4. If I make a reservation using my FNC and then need to cancel, are there any special procedures? Do I have to call IHG?
5. Can I use my FNC for a date past the certificate's expiration, provided that I make the reservation prior to that expiration date?
6. Can I trade/gift my FNC?
7. If I have multiple IHG cards (other than the Traveler card), do I get more than one FNC?

1. What are the current types of free-night certificates (FNC)?

As of April 2023, there are four different active FNC types. Described below in order from newest to oldest (roughly), they will appear in your account under the following headings:
  • Premier Credit Card Annual Flex Night: The anniversary FNC, good for a base room up to 40K points, for the personal Premier card. This FNC is described as “flex” because you can redeem for an award in excess of 40K by adding points on top of the FNC (aka "topping up").
    • Note: points used to top up a Flex FNC are not subject to the 10% rebate for Select cardholders.
  • Business Credit Card Annual Flex Night: The anniversary FNC for the IHG Business card. This is identical in all respects to the Premier flex cert.
  • New Cardmember Bonus Free Night: Some recent offers for the personal Premier card have included one or more FNCs in the signup bonus. These FNCs are capped at 40K value; there is no "flex"/"top-up" option.
  • Select Credit Card Anniversary Night: The anniversary FNC for the older Select card, for which Chase stopped accepting applications in 2018. As with the previous category, this FNC type has a hard cap of 40K redemption value.
Depending on how long you have been a Chase IHG cardholder and which cards you've held, your FNC Details page may also display a placeholder section ("0 Anniversary Nights") for two other FNC types that no longer exist:
  • Premier Credit Card Anniversary Night: Prior to March 24, 2022, the personal Premier card FNC was hard-capped at 40K value. On March 24, all unused FNCs of this type were automatically converted to Premier "flex" FNCs as described above.
  • Credit Card Anniversary Night: Prior to May 1, 2018, anniversary FNCs for the Select card were uncapped--that is, they could be used at any IHG property.

2. Where do I find the FNC(s) in my IHG online account?

After you log into the website, click on the section at the top of the window showing your first name and current point balance. This will take you to the Overview page of the My Account section. Underneath the gray box showing your status level, member number, and points balance you will see a submenu with "Overview" selected. Click on "Rewards Wallet" to go to the page summarizing your FNCs. Click "Details" to see the type(s) of FNC(s) in your account.

You can also go directly to the Details page by logging in and visiting http://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/us/en...gmt/freenights (for English-speaking US members).

3. Is a FNC revoked if I cancel my Chase card?

No.

4. If I make a reservation using my FNC and then need to cancel, are there any special procedures? Do I have to call IHG?

You may cancel your reservation online using the same process as for any other reservation. The certificate is normally returned to your account immediately and available for re-use with no wait and no need to call IHG. For unknown reasons, on rare occasions a FNC will not instantly reappear; in such cases, call IHG customer service to have the FNC redeposited manually.

5. Can I use my FNC for a date past the certificate's expiration, provided that I make the reservation prior to that expiration date?

As of January 2019, members are reporting that they are unable to do this.
Formerly, some members reported success in doing this. (See, for example, the discussion at post #516.) Two basic recommendations:
  • It is advisable to obtain advance written confirmation, ideally from the hotel itself, that your certificate will be honored under these circumstances.
    • At least one FTer reports having successfully booked post-expiration stays without confirming with the property in advance; see posts 719 & 723. YMMV.
  • Once the certificate expiration date passes, you will not be able to make any changes to the reservation (occupancy, date, room type, etc).

6. Can I trade/gift my FNC?

No. FNCs are non-transferable.

7. If I have multiple IHG cards (other than the Traveler card), do I get more than one FNC each year?

Yes. The Select card (legacy), the personal Premier card, and the Premier Business card all include an anniversary FNC as a benefit. But note the difference, discussed above, between the Select card FNC--capped at 40K value--and the "flex" FNCs associated with the other cards. The no-fee Traveler card does not provide a FNC benefit.

In previous years, Chase issued the anniversary FNC shortly before the annual fee was billed. More recently, Chase has begun delaying issuance of FNCs until at least 8 weeks after the annual-fee statement date, presumably to prevent accountholders from canceling their cards while keeping the FNC.

Questions related to the extension of the certificate due to the Coronavirus are discussed in its own thread, which is here.

Print Wikipost

Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG (Platinum Elite), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by soitgoes
You need to book your free night and your paid nights on different reservations.
That's what the IHG reps told me as well. What happens if I don't - i.e. if I book two nights with just one certificate? I assumed they'd just charge cash for the second night....and I hate splitting up my reservations. I'm always worried the hotel will mess up, think we've checked out, and empty out our room.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DrRodneyMcKay
That's what the IHG reps told me as well. What happens if I don't - i.e. if I book two nights with just one certificate? I assumed they'd just charge cash for the second night....and I hate splitting up my reservations. I'm always worried the hotel will mess up, think we've checked out, and empty out our room.
The system should not let you confirm a booking without the necessary number of certs.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DrRodneyMcKay
The system would not allow the booking.

90% of our reward bookings of any program are done on SINGLE night reservation even with consecutive nights in order to preserve the flexibility to cancel. Never a single hotel has messed up our reservations, whether it is booked under one account or two accounts.

We just used our 2 certs at IC Hong Kong 2 weeks ago. Even it took a while for the FD staff who was only on the job for 3 months, to get everything in order, we were told no need to do check out/check back in. Keys programmed accordingly and fruit plate was delivered on each day as it was a separate reservation under separate account.

Sure, it may take a little bit longer at check in on figuring out HOW they would handle it - whether it is combined together or linked together or just a manual note in the record card or input in the system, it always works - we always are kept in the same room. Sometimes we need to get our keys reprogrammed sometimes we dont - all up to the individual hotel's preference. Housekeeping sometimes get a big confused as that dept seems to be the least informed. No biggie. Just tell the staff that you have another night. The person responsible to clean your room will figure that out with the supervisor.

While not the same program, we had 4 separate reservations for 4 consecutive nights at a Marriott program's property in South Africa recently because the hotel never released more than 2 nights in a row and our dates all were released one at a time. No problem. After a bit of search, the FD clerk found all 4, showed it to us on the screen when we checked in. We only needed to sign one form for the first night and were told to get our keys reprogrammed each evening when we returned from the national park. Worked like a charm. The nights even posted correctly into the Marriott account.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:16 pm

I called them the other night to ask about using a one-night cert in the middle of a multi-night stay. I think what they told me is consistent with @Happy's account above. In effect, I'll book the stay online, then ring them back and ask the cert be applied. This is what I normally do with other chains, as well, and I've never had an issue.

What I'm wondering about is booking an Ambassador breakfast rate for multiple nights and then calling to see what they can do regarding the cert use (which is not an Ambassador BOGO cert). I'm assuming that what I want-- free night plus free breakfast-- is probably not feasible, but I figure no harm in trying, as I can always cancel.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This was a friend's experience at IC HKG 3 weeks ago.

He booked a weekend BOGO stay, then 2 separate nights with 2 Chase FN certs one from his account one from his wife's account.

At check in he got an upgrade from the originally booked harbor view room but was told in order to stay at the same room, he would need to pay HKD800 a night on the FN cert reservations. However the next day the hotel FD called, said they would not charge the HKD800/night upgrade. Friend said the room was probably 40 to 50 sq meters with an equal size bathroom. I have no idea what room he has been upgraded to. He always has good luck at IC HKG. This is not the first time he combined 2 types of certs from 2 accounts with only 1 pay night but he said the upgrade is the biggest on this stay.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:59 pm

Past experience at Seoul IC Grand Parnas was very positive. Total non-revenue stay, status by way of the Chase card, and they upgraded one room to a junior suite and treated us kindly.

This time we're looking to return to the same property, and in order to get adjoining rooms so we can keep an eye on the little Zippy Pinheads, I'm thinking to book one room as a revenue stay (Ambassador breakfast rate), book the other room using certs/points, and see what they can do for us. If necessary, we can take breakfast outside the hotel one morning.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
IHG Free night/points redemption

I'm booking Montreal for the F1 race next June. My wife and I have the IHG visa, for a few months now. I believe my anniversary date is a month before and my wife's might be very close to the dates we will be traveling. I still need to find this out but assuming both of our anniversary dates are prior to June 6 checkin. I've got the following questions:

I was considering booking on points/cash for two nights each-two separate reservations back to back, hopefully not have to change rooms. Would I be able to apply the free night cert by calling and changing the reservation even last minute.

Are the free night certs based on a certain room rate availability or can you use them provided the standard room is available at all.

Is it possible to combine a points night or points/cash night with another free night using the cert?
Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Jonesdds
I was considering booking on points/cash for two nights each-two separate reservations back to back, hopefully not have to change rooms. Would I be able to apply the free night cert by calling and changing the reservation even last minute.
you won't be able to change the reservation if there is no points redemption availability....cancelling your room will not guarantee that the room will then be available to use the free night....

Are the free night certs based on a certain room rate availability or can you use them provided the standard room is available at all.
i believe the free night cert can be used as long as a room is available for points redemption....

Is it possible to combine a points night or points/cash night with another free night using the cert?
they will be separate reservations....but in my experience if you let them know while checking in then they let you keep the same room throughout your stay....
Old Oct 2, 2017, 11:49 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver - IHG Spire AMB - Hilton Gold - Choice Hotels Platinum - Hertz Gold FiveStar
Originally Posted by flyer4512
We plan on using our free IHG nights in 2018 at Palazzo or Venetian.

They are only accepting award reservations through 12/30/2017 does anyone have any idea when they will open up to March 2018 ?
I didn't see any direct responses to this part of your question. Ever find out?

I'm planning on stacking my AMB BOGO cert with the Chase Free Night for a 3-night stay, but I'm seeing the same availability as you did, Chase Free nights only open until 12/30/17. Reward point nights and BOGO cert availability is open, just no the Chase free nights... Wondering when the 2018 bank opens?
Old Oct 2, 2017, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Tony300S
I didn't see any direct responses to this part of your question. Ever find out?

I'm planning on stacking my AMB BOGO cert with the Chase Free Night for a 3-night stay, but I'm seeing the same availability as you did, Chase Free nights only open until 12/30/17. Reward point nights and BOGO cert availability is open, just no the Chase free nights... Wondering when the 2018 bank opens?
Nothing yet, I just keep looking every week

IHG and Venetian weren't any hep but you calling couldn't hurt as the more people that bring it up the better chance it gets corrected
Old Oct 2, 2017, 5:20 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver - IHG Spire AMB - Hilton Gold - Choice Hotels Platinum - Hertz Gold FiveStar
Nothing yet, I just keep looking every week

IHG and Venetian weren't any hep but you calling couldn't hurt as the more people that bring it up the better chance it gets corrected
True. I actually called Palazzo today but got lost in the call loop so I hung up. Doesn't make sense that the BOGO rate and full reward nights are available but not the Chase nights. Award rate buckets should all be linked.

I wanted to get a hold of the IHG Elite check in desk at Palazzo, figured if anyone knows it would be them.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 5:43 pm

True. I actually called Palazzo today but got lost in the call loop so I hung up. Doesn't make sense that the BOGO rate and full reward nights are available but not the Chase nights. Award rate buckets should all be linked.

I wanted to get a hold of the IHG Elite check in desk at Palazzo, figured if anyone knows it would be them.

Let me know what you find

IHG actually tried to tell me they might be sold out, lol

Last edited by flyer4512; Oct 2, 2017 at 5:49 pm
Old Oct 3, 2017, 2:19 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Let me know what you find

IHG actually tried to tell me they might be sold out, lol
3 strikes today!
  1. Tried hotel direct who doesn't even know they have and IHG Elite check-in desk. Useless, referred to IHG.
  2. Tried AMB Live Chat, they didn't even try, and referred me immediatly to IHG Reward Club toll free number. 888-211-9874
  3. Tried IHG Reward Club via above number and got a guy who knew what I was referring to, I explained the situation with the other reward banks, but he insisted the Chase Free nights are "completely separate" than other reward night types, only the hotel has control of if or when they release those for 2018 (even suggested they might not be participating) and IHG has no contact info for this magical person and or being.

So there it is, a full 360 run around of nobody knows nothing! I'll prob just book a full points reward night after my 2-night BOGO cert as a placeholder for the night I wanted to use the Chase night and swap them if the status changes. No point in wasting any more time with these clowns.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 2:28 pm

3 strikes today!
  1. Tried hotel direct who doesn't even know they have and IHG Elite check-in desk. Useless, referred to IHG.
  2. Tried AMB Live Chat, they didn't even try, and referred me immediatly to IHG Reward Club toll free number. 888-211-9874
  3. Tried IHG Reward Club via above number and got a guy who knew what I was referring to, I explained the situation with the other reward banks, but he insisted the Chase Free nights are "completely separate" than other reward night types, only the hotel has control of if or when they release those for 2018 (even suggested they might not be participating) and IHG has no contact info for this magical person and or being.

So there it is, a full 360 run around of nobody knows nothing! I'll prob just book a full points reward night after my 2-night BOGO cert as a placeholder for the night I wanted to use the Chase night and swap them if the status changes. No point in wasting any more time with these clowns.
I have 2 nights held on points for March 3-5 but I doubt I waste 120K points and still get stuck with ~80 in resort fees

I held the nights on points because in the past I have done this while I waited for our ( my wife has a card also ) IHG free nights to post. The hotel ( Sanibel Florida) showed reward nights but by the time our IHG free nights posted reward nights were sold out. I cancelled our points reservations and was then able to book our free nights.

Hopefully IHG free night rewards show up at some point before our trip

Last edited by flyer4512; Oct 3, 2017 at 2:33 pm
Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:29 pm

I have 1 night certificate and plan to use it at Intercontinental Hong Kong ( No. 18 Salisbury Road, Tsim Sha Tsui ) . However, I can not see any reward room available.

Have anyone able to view availability at this hotel thru IHG.com

I contacted the IHG reservation desk and was told I can not see reward night online myself. Only the reservation desk can and only reservation desk can book it for me.

I wonder if the information given to me is true . If not, how do you book an award night using Chase certificate . I log in my IHG account and still unable to book the reward using certificate myself. I have no problem booking a reward using point on my account.

Please advise and thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.