Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 21, 2014, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
FAQs
1. What are the current types of free-night certificates (FNC)?
2. Where do I find the FNC(s) in my IHG online account?
3. Is a FNC revoked if I cancel my Chase card?
4. If I make a reservation using my FNC and then need to cancel, are there any special procedures? Do I have to call IHG?
5. Can I use my FNC for a date past the certificate's expiration, provided that I make the reservation prior to that expiration date?
6. Can I trade/gift my FNC?
7. If I have multiple IHG cards (other than the Traveler card), do I get more than one FNC?

1. What are the current types of free-night certificates (FNC)?

As of April 2023, there are four different active FNC types. Described below in order from newest to oldest (roughly), they will appear in your account under the following headings:
  • Premier Credit Card Annual Flex Night: The anniversary FNC, good for a base room up to 40K points, for the personal Premier card. This FNC is described as “flex” because you can redeem for an award in excess of 40K by adding points on top of the FNC (aka "topping up").
    • Note: points used to top up a Flex FNC are not subject to the 10% rebate for Select cardholders.
  • Business Credit Card Annual Flex Night: The anniversary FNC for the IHG Business card. This is identical in all respects to the Premier flex cert.
  • New Cardmember Bonus Free Night: Some recent offers for the personal Premier card have included one or more FNCs in the signup bonus. These FNCs are capped at 40K value; there is no "flex"/"top-up" option.
  • Select Credit Card Anniversary Night: The anniversary FNC for the older Select card, for which Chase stopped accepting applications in 2018. As with the previous category, this FNC type has a hard cap of 40K redemption value.
Depending on how long you have been a Chase IHG cardholder and which cards you've held, your FNC Details page may also display a placeholder section ("0 Anniversary Nights") for two other FNC types that no longer exist:
  • Premier Credit Card Anniversary Night: Prior to March 24, 2022, the personal Premier card FNC was hard-capped at 40K value. On March 24, all unused FNCs of this type were automatically converted to Premier "flex" FNCs as described above.
  • Credit Card Anniversary Night: Prior to May 1, 2018, anniversary FNCs for the Select card were uncapped--that is, they could be used at any IHG property.

2. Where do I find the FNC(s) in my IHG online account?

After you log into the website, click on the section at the top of the window showing your first name and current point balance. This will take you to the Overview page of the My Account section. Underneath the gray box showing your status level, member number, and points balance you will see a submenu with "Overview" selected. Click on "Rewards Wallet" to go to the page summarizing your FNCs. Click "Details" to see the type(s) of FNC(s) in your account.

You can also go directly to the Details page by logging in and visiting http://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/us/en...gmt/freenights (for English-speaking US members).

3. Is a FNC revoked if I cancel my Chase card?

No.

4. If I make a reservation using my FNC and then need to cancel, are there any special procedures? Do I have to call IHG?

You may cancel your reservation online using the same process as for any other reservation. The certificate is normally returned to your account immediately and available for re-use with no wait and no need to call IHG. For unknown reasons, on rare occasions a FNC will not instantly reappear; in such cases, call IHG customer service to have the FNC redeposited manually.

5. Can I use my FNC for a date past the certificate's expiration, provided that I make the reservation prior to that expiration date?

As of January 2019, members are reporting that they are unable to do this.
Formerly, some members reported success in doing this. (See, for example, the discussion at post #516.) Two basic recommendations:
  • It is advisable to obtain advance written confirmation, ideally from the hotel itself, that your certificate will be honored under these circumstances.
    • At least one FTer reports having successfully booked post-expiration stays without confirming with the property in advance; see posts 719 & 723. YMMV.
  • Once the certificate expiration date passes, you will not be able to make any changes to the reservation (occupancy, date, room type, etc).

6. Can I trade/gift my FNC?

No. FNCs are non-transferable.

7. If I have multiple IHG cards (other than the Traveler card), do I get more than one FNC each year?

Yes. The Select card (legacy), the personal Premier card, and the Premier Business card all include an anniversary FNC as a benefit. But note the difference, discussed above, between the Select card FNC--capped at 40K value--and the "flex" FNCs associated with the other cards. The no-fee Traveler card does not provide a FNC benefit.

In previous years, Chase issued the anniversary FNC shortly before the annual fee was billed. More recently, Chase has begun delaying issuance of FNCs until at least 8 weeks after the annual-fee statement date, presumably to prevent accountholders from canceling their cards while keeping the FNC.

Questions related to the extension of the certificate due to the Coronavirus are discussed in its own thread, which is here.

Print Wikipost

Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard

Old May 7, 2017, 1:06 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
If I use the annual credit card certificate at the Venetian in Vegas does that waive the $39 resort fee?
Old May 7, 2017, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by frudd38
Has anyone used it at Palazzo/Venetian past expiration without issues?
I stayed last month at Venetian for 2 nights using the annual free night from the CC as well as points for the 2nd night. I can't answer your question regarding using the cert past expiration but wanted to let you know I had an issue when I checked in that they couldn't find my reservation. I had booked the nights over the phone. it took the front desk over an hour to have someone make a new reservation (supposedly sold out weekend) but I did get my room for the weekend. I'd suggest confirming with the hotel that your reservation is in their system prior to arriv

Originally Posted by RedElmo
If I use the annual credit card certificate at the Venetian in Vegas does that waive the $39 resort fee?
Old May 7, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA Platinum; IHG Diamond Ambassador
No, they will charge the resort fee.
Old May 7, 2017, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by ARR72
No, they will charge the resort fee.
Darn. And I confirmed it. I booked two nights and it shows the $39 resort fee plus taxes. I hope it's taxes on the $39 and not the rack rate of the room. It's $600 a night for those nights.
Old May 7, 2017, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA Platinum; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Good luck - pretty sure they won't charge taxes on the rack rate, so,if any, should be minimal.

Last edited by ARR72; May 7, 2017 at 4:49 pm Reason: Typo
Old May 7, 2017, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by ARR72
Good luck - pretty sure they won't charge taxes on the rack rate, so,if any, should be minimal.
Good... I hope not.
Old May 7, 2017, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2Millon Mile Flyer, IC Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by RedElmo
Darn. And I confirmed it. I booked two nights and it shows the $39 resort fee plus taxes. I hope it's taxes on the $39 and not the rack rate of the room. It's $600 a night for those nights.
They'll charge tax on the resort fee too. I found that out on a recent stay. It came out to 43/nt total. What a ripoff!
Old May 7, 2017, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by PremExecSNA
They'll charge tax on the resort fee too. I found that out on a recent stay. It came out to 43/nt total. What a ripoff!
Thanks I think that is what the words on the reservation was trying to say but it was worded very poorly. I figured it was exactly that.. .but wanted to make sure it wasn't the tax on the $600 room and then $39 fee
Old May 8, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: BA
edit: deleted
Old May 9, 2017, 7:37 am

Programs: IHG AMB/Spire, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by lincoln boy
it will go back to the inventory right away.
so now way for the 800 customer service line to do the flip for me from point stay to free night certificate stay? I was on another vacation so when they dates came up I was using the IHG app and I did not see the option to book with a reward certificate. stupid me for not "testing" it a few days before to see if I could use the reward night booking on the app.
Old May 15, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: 1MM UA
Originally Posted by eggzlot
so no way for the 800 customer service line to do the flip for me from point stay to free night certificate stay? I was on another vacation so when they dates came up I was using the IHG app and I did not see the option to book with a reward certificate. stupid me for not "testing" it a few days before to see if I could use the reward night booking on the app.
(I assume "now" should be "no.)

I'm sure they can do it. The only way to find out if they will do it is to call.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by darkness449
I stayed last month at Venetian for 2 nights using the annual free night from the CC as well as points for the 2nd night. I can't answer your question regarding using the cert past expiration but wanted to let you know I had an issue when I checked in that they couldn't find my reservation. I had booked the nights over the phone. it took the front desk over an hour to have someone make a new reservation (supposedly sold out weekend) but I did get my room for the weekend. I'd suggest confirming with the hotel that your reservation is in their system prior to arriv
We plan on using our free IHG nights in 2018 at Palazzo or Venetian.

I have always been able to use my dads cert even though he is not onsite at the IHG's so hopefully Vegas works the same as I'm hoping to stay 3 nights using my cert, my wife's and my dads.

Of course I'll call before we get there and ask them to combine the nights so that we don't have to change rooms at which point I should have a good idea if my dads cert will be accepted but I will book him as night # 3 just in case.

They are only accepting award reservations through 12/30/2017 does anyone have any idea when they will open up to March 2018 ?

Thanks

Last edited by flyer4512; Jun 20, 2017 at 7:31 pm
Old Jun 25, 2017, 9:14 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Happy
1) Chase posts annual fee on the first business day of the month following the anniversary.

2) Chase has a 24 months wait period on a second bonus in many of its cards' T&Cs. No idea if such is added to the IHG card which always is a bit of an outliner in Chase card family. 80K offer is currently dead.
I know the post I am replying to is from 2015.

FYI, I was offered 80K today in an email for an IHG MasterCard. I applied online late this afternoon and was approved.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyer4512
We plan on using our free IHG nights in 2018 at Palazzo or Venetian.

I have always been able to use my dads cert even though he is not onsite at the IHG's so hopefully Vegas works the same as I'm hoping to stay 3 nights using my cert, my wife's and my dads.

Of course I'll call before we get there and ask them to combine the nights so that we don't have to change rooms at which point I should have a good idea if my dads cert will be accepted but I will book him as night # 3 just in case.

They are only accepting award reservations through 12/30/2017 does anyone have any idea when they will open up to March 2018 ?

Thanks
I dont know if this policy change is Chain-wide or only apply to IHG properties in Greater China...

For our Free Night Certs booked the IC HKG, I noticed I could no longer add an additional guest name online like any other point booking when using the FN certs (Adding additional guest in each other's reservation facilitate the hotel to link both ressie together before we check in).

Here is the language in the reservation that may or may not show up in bookings for US property...

Additional Guest Restrictions:
For your account security, the following restrictions apply: In order to add an additional guest, the original booking member must either call the IHG Rewards Club Service Center to provide the additional guest information no less than 7 days prior to the check-in date, or be present at the time of check-in at the hotel to provide identification. To change any provided information, the member must follow the same procedure mentioned above. Please refer to member terms and conditions for more details.

Regardless I assume in order to use your Dad's cert, your name has to be on his reservation as an Additional Guest. Whether this call-in policy is a chain-wide or region specific, I have no idea.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
I dont know if this policy change is Chain-wide or only apply to IHG properties in Greater China...

For our Free Night Certs booked the IC HKG, I noticed I could no longer add an additional guest name online like any other point booking when using the FN certs (Adding additional guest in each other's reservation facilitate the hotel to link both ressie together before we check in).

Here is the language in the reservation that may or may not show up in bookings for US property...

Additional Guest Restrictions:
For your account security, the following restrictions apply: In order to add an additional guest, the original booking member must either call the IHG Rewards Club Service Center to provide the additional guest information no less than 7 days prior to the check-in date, or be present at the time of check-in at the hotel to provide identification. To change any provided information, the member must follow the same procedure mentioned above. Please refer to member terms and conditions for more details.

Regardless I assume in order to use your Dad's cert, your name has to be on his reservation as an Additional Guest. Whether this call-in policy is a chain-wide or region specific, I have no idea.
I decided to use points for the 3rd night in Vegas instead of my dads free night cert, it's costing me 25K points over using the cert in Vegas and points in Florida but it's a lot easier for us to change hotels if need be in Florida than Vegas as we don't rent a car in Vegas

I just booked his cert for the Florida in 2018 and was able to add my name on the reservation when I booked. This option seems hit and miss as some years it lets me add my name and some years it doesn't. I then chatted with IHG to confirm it was there and as always we will call the hotel before we arrive.

In the past we have used 3 rewards certs back to back to back for me my dad and my wife, I put the first night in my wife's name and she calls to combine the 3 nights so that we stay in the same room. We have never had an issue and they actually give us 3 separate bills in all 3 of our names.

From our experience the hotels outside vegas ( who track everything) don't even care what the first name on the reservation is I checked into a hotel last month where I was the additional guest on my dads reservation and the clerk never asked my name or questioned the credit card that we used which was in my wife's name.

It seems like overseas has additional security also.

Last edited by flyer4512; Jun 26, 2017 at 5:20 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.