Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 22, 19, 1:15 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: serpens
Wiki Link
Where can I use the annual free-night certificate?

For certificates issued for the Select card before May 1, 2019, any IHG hotel with Chase free night space available. Chase free night certificates issued on or after May 1, 2019 for the Select card, or issued on any date for the Premier card, are limited to any IHG hotel costing 40000 points or less.

Where do I find the free-night cert in my IHG online account?

On the My Account page, look at the navigation menu on the left side of the screen. If you have a certificate -- either unused or used -- you will see a "Free Night" link below "My Offer Status" and above "Upcoming Reservations". If the link does not appear, try using this direct link after you have logged into your IHG account.

Is the annual free-night certificate revoked if I cancel my Chase card?

No.

If I make a reservation using my free-night certificate and then need to cancel, are there any special procedures? Do I have to call IHG?

You may cancel your reservation online using the same process as for any other reservation. The certificate is normally returned to your account immediately and available for re-use with no wait and no need to call IHG. For unknown reasons, on rare occasions a cert will not instantly reappear; in such cases, call IHG customer service to have the cert redeposited manually.

Can I use my free-night certificate for a date past the certificate's expiration, provided that I make the reservation prior to that expiration date?

As of January 2019, members are reporting that they are unable to do this.
Formerly, some members reported success in doing this. (See, for example, the discussion at post #516.) Two basic recommendations:

• It is advisable to obtain advance written confirmation, ideally from the hotel itself, that your certificate will be honored under these circumstances.
    • At least one FTer reports having successfully booked post-expiration stays without confirming with the property in advance; see posts 719 & 723. YMMV.
  • Once the certificate expiration date passes, you will not be able to make any changes to the reservation (occupancy, date, room type, etc).

Can I trade/gift my Free-Night Certificate?

No. Anniversary Free-Night Certificates are non-transferable.

If I have both the IHG Select (old) card and the IHG Premier (new) card, do I get two free nights?

Yes, each card gets you a free night on or about that card's anniversary.
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 8, 19, 11:04 pm

Programs: Delta PM, ICH PLAT
Originally Posted by RedElmo View Post
Resort fee not waived. You have to pay it.
Thats too bad. A cash booking on priceline for the same Venetian/Palazzo nights cost ~$250 for the 2 nights I'm interested in. Ended up booking Vdara for $251 cash + $75 restaurant credit for the 2 nights I want.

This is sad, as, with the 40K cap, I'm finding equivalent value (vs cash booking on priceline) at or below $150 at best. (Ya, its still worth more than my annual fee...but comes with additional hassle - need to find availability for and book 2 nights separately, expiration date to worry about, and other lost opportunities (can't get credit card points, can't take advantage of 4th reward night free, can't earn points, etc.)
Old Dec 8, 19, 11:11 pm

Programs: American, Alaska, United, Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt, IHG
Originally Posted by chunky649 View Post
Thats too bad. A cash booking on priceline for the same Venetian/Palazzo nights cost ~$250 for the 2 nights I'm interested in. Ended up booking Vdara for $251 cash + $75 restaurant credit for the 2 nights I want.

This is sad, as, with the 40K cap, I'm finding equivalent value (vs cash booking on priceline) at or below $150 at best. (Ya, its still worth more than my annual fee...but comes with additional hassle - need to find availability for and book 2 nights separately, expiration date to worry about, and other lost opportunities (can't get credit card points, can't take advantage of 4th reward night free, can't earn points, etc.)

Although off season I got a huge 1400 sq foot suite upgrade. Had a personal workout room and sauna inside the room.

That alone was worth several annual fees and resort fee.
jn in ca likes this.
Old Dec 9, 19, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
in the past, i have always used the certificate on a trip to nyc but with the 40k limit now i was looking through the limited list of properties where i could use it....just realised that the candlewood suites in times square has gone back to 40k points....it would never have been my first choice of property but its near the location where i need to be so works out quite well in the end....
Old Dec 10, 19, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by chunky649 View Post
Sorry for the newbie question, but I'm reading different answers...

... However, it appears I am able to book the Vegas Venetian/Palazzo rooms. (I made it all the way to the end without clicking BOOK)...
It will error out once you click book.
Old Jan 9, 20, 3:41 pm

I just had an interesting experience I thought I would share. I was looking to book a stay with my anniversary reward night, and in poking through the IHG site saw that kimpton hotels were showing free night availability, even though they were over the 40k limit. Trying to book it though would error out at checkout. I contacted customer support to voice my confusion and frustration with the site showing free night availability for the properties but being unable to book. The team at IHG was kind enough to convert my free night into points above 40k so that I could book the kimpton room. Has anyone else had this experience?
Old Jan 9, 20, 4:48 pm

Programs: American, Alaska, United, Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt, IHG
Originally Posted by ramlax13 View Post
The team at IHG was kind enough to convert my free night into points above 40k so that I could book the kimpton room. Has anyone else had this experience?
No. but Iím hoping to experience this soon! Haha.
beltway likes this.
Old Jan 10, 20, 2:06 am

Programs: Bonfire Titanium, HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Accor Silver
Is anyone holding off those certs in hopes to redeem a night at those newly minted six senses or Mr/Mrs Smith properties?

For rates going at 800-1k/night, I would say if you have a few more weeks to burn and can travel last minute, it's worth waiting for those property to be able to be redeemable by points in the coming weeks..
Old Jan 10, 20, 6:50 am
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, LH Silver, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, Hyatt Disc, PC Plat, CC Gold
Originally Posted by bluestrudels View Post
Is anyone holding off those certs in hopes to redeem a night at those newly minted six senses or Mr/Mrs Smith properties?

For rates going at 800-1k/night, I would say if you have a few more weeks to burn and can travel last minute, it's worth waiting for those property to be able to be redeemable by points in the coming weeks..
And you think those properties are going to be less than 40k per night in order to use the certs?
Old Jan 10, 20, 6:59 am

Programs: Bonfire Titanium, HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by christianj View Post
And you think those properties are going to be less than 40k per night in order to use the certs?
Uh, I'm still holding on to one of those last uncapped reward night cert, was hoping to get more value for the last redemption with these newly added luxury properties..
christianj likes this.
Old Jan 10, 20, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by RedElmo View Post
No. but Iím hoping to experience this soon! Haha.
ďPriority Club. Itís Easier!Ē
Old Jan 11, 20, 12:25 am

Hi, I have a certificate expired 6/20 but i have no plans since I am so busy with the kids. Do you know where I could trade or sell it? Thanks.
Old Jan 15, 20, 1:53 am

So... I happened to try and check for free night availability and although none of the properties showed it available on the summary page of all properties in the city, for some reason a few of them showed availability when clicking into the property.

The thing is... I should have a 40k capped free night, and these properties are 55k Anyone ever see this? If so, any problems at check in?
Old Jan 15, 20, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*A Gold, WN A+ CP, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Gold
DW and I recently used our 40k certs (we each had 1) on a pair of nights at a HIX that was asking $300/night or 30k points. Apparently there's a big event in the area as several hotels are sold out and the rest are asking elevated rates. Ordinarily I'd expect this HIX and its competition (Hampton, Fairfield, etc.) to price at $129-149 nightly rate.

Certs were a good way to avoid paying high rates. But "How much are those certs worth?" is a tricky question:

1. Nominally they're worth $300 because that was the cash alternative
  2. But the alternative to have booked with 30k points reduces the value at $210 (I value IHG points at 0.7cpp)
  3. But what I would have been willing to pay, in cash or points equivalent, was about $150. Above that I considered not taking the trip or traveling somewhere else instead.
Bottom line? Definitely not $300... arguably not even $210... maybe $150... but also arguably higher than $150 as I did choose to stay there rather than upset my travel plans.
Old Jan 17, 20, 12:57 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
system down

I have been trying to redeem a Chase Free Night Cert for two days now. Customer service keeps telling me the system is broken, but they won't say when it will be fixed. They insist I keep calling back to find out if it is working again. Very frustrating
Old Jan 18, 20, 2:06 am

It worked for me on the app, day before your post. Website did not work for me either.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: