Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 12, 19, 3:59 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: jbeckett
Wiki Link
Where can I use the annual free-night certificate?

For certificates issued for the Select card before May 1, 2019, any IHG hotel with Chase free night space available. Chase free night certificates issued on or after May 1, 2019 for the Select card, or issued on any date for the Premier card, are limited to any IHG hotel costing 40000 points or less.

Where do I find the free-night cert in my IHG online account?

On the My Account page, look at the navigation menu on the left side of the screen. If you have a certificate -- either unused or used -- you will see a "Free Night" link below "My Offer Status" and above "Upcoming Reservations". If the link does not appear, try using this direct link after you have logged into your IHG account.

Is the annual free-night certificate revoked if I cancel my Chase card?

No.

If I make a reservation using my free-night certificate and then need to cancel, are there any special procedures? Do I have to call IHG?

You may cancel your reservation online using the same process as for any other reservation. The certificate is normally returned to your account immediately and available for re-use with no wait and no need to call IHG. For unknown reasons, on rare occasions a cert will not instantly reappear; in such cases, call IHG customer service to have the cert redeposited manually.

Can I use my free-night certificate for a date past the certificate's expiration, provided that I make the reservation prior to that expiration date?

As of January 2019, members are reporting that they are unable to do this.
Formerly, some members reported success in doing this. (See, for example, the discussion at post #516.) Two basic recommendations:
  • It is advisable to obtain advance written confirmation, ideally from the hotel itself, that your certificate will be honored under these circumstances.
    • At least one FTer reports having successfully booked post-expiration stays without confirming with the property in advance; see posts 719 & 723. YMMV.
  • Once the certificate expiration date passes, you will not be able to make any changes to the reservation (occupancy, date, room type, etc).
Can I trade/gift my Free-Night Certificate?

No. Anniversary Free-Night Certificates are non-transferable.
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old May 6, 19, 8:50 pm
  #1066  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 198
I have a reservation for 6/4/19 that I want to cancel, that I made with a free night certificate that expired 4/9/19. But they won't let me move it to a different reservation that I do want to keep. I tried email, phone and chat. I guess they really have cracked down and there's no way around this. I will still be in Prague, just at the Hilton instead of the Intercontinental. So I guess at this point I might as well keep it and go check the room out. Who knows, maybe my husband and I will be fighting that night :-)
qofmiwok is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 19, 9:36 pm
  #1067  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 70
Originally Posted by qofmiwok View Post
I have a reservation for 6/4/19 that I want to cancel, that I made with a free night certificate that expired 4/9/19. But they won't let me move it to a different reservation that I do want to keep. I tried email, phone and chat. I guess they really have cracked down and there's no way around this. I will still be in Prague, just at the Hilton instead of the Intercontinental. So I guess at this point I might as well keep it and go check the room out. Who knows, maybe my husband and I will be fighting that night :-)
This has always been the case. You can't change a future reservation once the free night used for it has expired
thealphalion is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 19, 1:22 pm
  #1068  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 253
For the "new" igh card, when will I receive the annual free night cert? For the old ihg card, the cert posted to my ihg account the date after the card's anniversary. I still haven't received the cert for my new card even though the anniversary is a week ago. Thank.
asdfghjk is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 19, 1:24 pm
  #1069  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: California
Programs: American, Alaska, United, Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt, IHG
Posts: 1,021
Originally Posted by asdfghjk View Post
For the "new" igh card, when will I receive the annual free night cert? For the old ihg card, the cert posted to my ihg account the date after the card's anniversary. My new card's anniversary is a week ago. Thank.
The certs are not limited to one per account no matter how many cards you hold?

Airline benefits like AA are limited to one. No matter how many cards you hold. barclay and Citi.
RedElmo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 19, 1:28 pm
  #1070  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 253
Originally Posted by RedElmo View Post


The certs are not limited to one per account no matter how many cards you hold?

Airline benefits like AA are limited to one. No matter how many cards you hold. barclay and Citi.
I am pretty sure you can get 2 free nights if you hold both cards. The are considered to be 2 different products.
asdfghjk is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 19, 7:58 am
  #1071  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: flyover country
Posts: 961
Originally Posted by asdfghjk View Post
I am pretty sure you can get 2 free nights if you hold both cards.
That was my assumption, and I hope it's right. Please report when your free night is awarded. (Mine isn't due for many weeks.)
serpens is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 19, 11:12 am
  #1072  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 253
Originally Posted by serpens View Post
That was my assumption, and I hope it's right. Please report when your free night is awarded. (Mine isn't due for many weeks.)
Speaking of the devil, my IHG Premier card's reward night just posted this morning.
asdfghjk is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 19, 12:15 pm
  #1073  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: flyover country
Posts: 961
Originally Posted by asdfghjk View Post
Speaking of the devil, my IHG Premier card's reward night just posted this morning.
Great!
serpens is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 19, 3:51 pm
  #1074  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 17
I have a stay on Jun 3rd, and my credit card anniversary is Jun 16th. Any hope that I can use the free certificate for this stay? Any hope if I call chase?
bbs_ghost is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 19, 6:26 am
  #1075  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: CT/ Germany - Ich spreche deutsch
Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, LH Silver, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, Hyatt Disc, PC Plat, CC Gold
Posts: 3,908
Originally Posted by bbs_ghost View Post
I have a stay on Jun 3rd, and my credit card anniversary is Jun 16th. Any hope that I can use the free certificate for this stay? Any hope if I call chase?
wishful thinking but I doubt it and have never seen anyone post that they were able to do this.
christianj is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 19, 10:36 am
  #1076  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: flyover country
Posts: 961
Originally Posted by christianj View Post
wishful thinking but I doubt it and have never seen anyone post that they were able to do this.
I agree with christianj, but encourage bbs_ghost to post the results of his or her phone call.
serpens is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 19, 1:54 pm
  #1077  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 17
Originally Posted by serpens View Post
I agree with christianj, but encourage bbs_ghost to post the results of his or her phone call.
Originally Posted by christianj View Post


wishful thinking but I doubt it and have never seen anyone post that they were able to do this.
I tried, no go. Chase told me it is not possible to do that.
bbs_ghost is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 19, 7:35 pm
  #1078  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: flyover country
Posts: 961
Originally Posted by bbs_ghost View Post
I tried, no go. Chase told me it is not possible to do that.
Sorry about that. Thanks for the report.
serpens is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 19, 2:43 pm
  #1079  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: ORD
Posts: 590
Is anyone else having trouble booking a room with the chase free night good at any property. I have tried with two different certificates and they both error out on the final page after clicking book. I have tried hotels near ohare to hotels in Moorea. Both certificates are good past the date I am looking.

Whats really odd is the rate details are showing an amount owed instead of saying free. In example, Crowne Plaza Ohare is showing a rate of $40.

TIA
Corridor! is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 19, 2:55 pm
  #1080  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 198
Yes, I was having this problem with other night. When I tried to use the cert it showed free, then 64 euros on the fnal page, but then errored out when I tried to submit. I called and they were able to book it without problem and without the extra fee. I will add that I thought my certificate was limited to 40,000 point value, but it worked on a 55,000 point room.
qofmiwok is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread