Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 21, 2014, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
FAQs
1. What are the current types of free-night certificates (FNC)?
2. Where do I find the FNC(s) in my IHG online account?
3. Is a FNC revoked if I cancel my Chase card?
4. If I make a reservation using my FNC and then need to cancel, are there any special procedures? Do I have to call IHG?
5. Can I use my FNC for a date past the certificate's expiration, provided that I make the reservation prior to that expiration date?
6. Can I trade/gift my FNC?
7. If I have multiple IHG cards (other than the Traveler card), do I get more than one FNC?

1. What are the current types of free-night certificates (FNC)?

As of April 2023, there are four different active FNC types. Described below in order from newest to oldest (roughly), they will appear in your account under the following headings:
  • Premier Credit Card Annual Flex Night: The anniversary FNC, good for a base room up to 40K points, for the personal Premier card. This FNC is described as “flex” because you can redeem for an award in excess of 40K by adding points on top of the FNC (aka "topping up").
    • Note: points used to top up a Flex FNC are not subject to the 10% rebate for Select cardholders.
  • Business Credit Card Annual Flex Night: The anniversary FNC for the IHG Business card. This is identical in all respects to the Premier flex cert.
  • New Cardmember Bonus Free Night: Some recent offers for the personal Premier card have included one or more FNCs in the signup bonus. These FNCs are capped at 40K value; there is no "flex"/"top-up" option.
  • Select Credit Card Anniversary Night: The anniversary FNC for the older Select card, for which Chase stopped accepting applications in 2018. As with the previous category, this FNC type has a hard cap of 40K redemption value.
Depending on how long you have been a Chase IHG cardholder and which cards you've held, your FNC Details page may also display a placeholder section ("0 Anniversary Nights") for two other FNC types that no longer exist:
  • Premier Credit Card Anniversary Night: Prior to March 24, 2022, the personal Premier card FNC was hard-capped at 40K value. On March 24, all unused FNCs of this type were automatically converted to Premier "flex" FNCs as described above.
  • Credit Card Anniversary Night: Prior to May 1, 2018, anniversary FNCs for the Select card were uncapped--that is, they could be used at any IHG property.

2. Where do I find the FNC(s) in my IHG online account?

After you log into the website, click on the section at the top of the window showing your first name and current point balance. This will take you to the Overview page of the My Account section. Underneath the gray box showing your status level, member number, and points balance you will see a submenu with "Overview" selected. Click on "Rewards Wallet" to go to the page summarizing your FNCs. Click "Details" to see the type(s) of FNC(s) in your account.

You can also go directly to the Details page by logging in and visiting http://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/us/en...gmt/freenights (for English-speaking US members).

3. Is a FNC revoked if I cancel my Chase card?

No.

4. If I make a reservation using my FNC and then need to cancel, are there any special procedures? Do I have to call IHG?

You may cancel your reservation online using the same process as for any other reservation. The certificate is normally returned to your account immediately and available for re-use with no wait and no need to call IHG. For unknown reasons, on rare occasions a FNC will not instantly reappear; in such cases, call IHG customer service to have the FNC redeposited manually.

5. Can I use my FNC for a date past the certificate's expiration, provided that I make the reservation prior to that expiration date?

As of January 2019, members are reporting that they are unable to do this.
Formerly, some members reported success in doing this. (See, for example, the discussion at post #516.) Two basic recommendations:
  • It is advisable to obtain advance written confirmation, ideally from the hotel itself, that your certificate will be honored under these circumstances.
    • At least one FTer reports having successfully booked post-expiration stays without confirming with the property in advance; see posts 719 & 723. YMMV.
  • Once the certificate expiration date passes, you will not be able to make any changes to the reservation (occupancy, date, room type, etc).

6. Can I trade/gift my FNC?

No. FNCs are non-transferable.

7. If I have multiple IHG cards (other than the Traveler card), do I get more than one FNC each year?

Yes. The Select card (legacy), the personal Premier card, and the Premier Business card all include an anniversary FNC as a benefit. But note the difference, discussed above, between the Select card FNC--capped at 40K value--and the "flex" FNCs associated with the other cards. The no-fee Traveler card does not provide a FNC benefit.

In previous years, Chase issued the anniversary FNC shortly before the annual fee was billed. More recently, Chase has begun delaying issuance of FNCs until at least 8 weeks after the annual-fee statement date, presumably to prevent accountholders from canceling their cards while keeping the FNC.

Questions related to the extension of the certificate due to the Coronavirus are discussed in its own thread, which is here.

Print Wikipost

Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:05 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by diver858
I booked a room for myself (and a friend), using my wife's free anniversary night (with her consent). Was not possible to remove her name from the reservation online, I added my name as the second person.
Should I (or wife) call the property, attempt to change the names? If not, will there be any issues at check-in?
I wouldn't expect issues at check-in. I've done a similar thing a few times, using my cert/points to book for DW. Each time I've coordinated with her to make sure I was available by phone to speak to the front desk but it's never been necessary. Hotels have allowed her to check in with no fuss.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: AA Life-Plat 5MM, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, UA, BA
Question

Originally Posted by vh_bu98
IHG extended the >50k redemption for a year due to the complaints.
Just noticed this. Great news. Is there a link to IHG announcement about this extension?
On what date this extension ends? Is this a deadline for booking or for the stay?
Old Jan 12, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by IntFF
Just noticed this. Great news. Is there a link to IHG announcement about this extension?
On what date this extension ends? Is this a deadline for booking or for the stay?
There’s no deadline other than your expiration date. Basically this is the last year that it will be available for redemption at any property.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by IntFF
Certificates issued through May 1 2019 will work anywhere.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA Life-Plat 5MM, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, UA, BA
Originally Posted by Super Mario
Thank you. Useful info.
Ideally, after IHG reimpose the 40K points limit for Free Night Cert (which was a Big Downgrade), the rule should be that the Free Night Cert is worth 40K points but the member can add. This should enable, for example, to book with a Free Night Cert a 50K points hotel and add 10K points.
Any way to push IHG in this direction ?? (It is also a small software project for IHG)
Does IHG have an official representative on FlyerTalk? Like Hilton Honors has?
lchan1982 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Super Mario
Correct. I confirmed this earlier today with a Chase CSR, FWIW.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:59 am

I tried using one of our certs at a date past the expiration and the booking page wouldn't take it. I remember last year I was still able to book within the timeframe for
a date past the timeframe.

Foolishly I didn't subscribe to this thread and missed the post that IHG extended the redemption level to 50,000 for one more year. Too late for me, tough luck.

But a quick question. the 40,000 is only meant for ICs or for any other property? I noticed that the HI Maldives went up from 40k to 45k. Maybe just so it got
over the threshold?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Exleftseat
But a quick question. the 40,000 is only meant for ICs or for any other property? I noticed that the HI Maldives went up from 40k to 45k. Maybe just so it got over the threshold?
Good anywhere that has award nights available at 40K or less.

Also, the legacy certs (issued up to May 1) are not capped at 50K. They’re good at any property: I recently used one at a 55K Kimpton.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by persoid
When do anniversary nights get awarded?

My anniversary date for the Chase IHG card is July 6, but I wonder if IHG/Chase may award these a few weeks ahead of the anniversary date, as is the case with the Chase Hyatt card. Does anyone have any experience with this, and can shed some light on my question?

Thanks in advance.
My anniversary date is 1/15, and the free night was available for booking on 1/16. Unlike my wife, who received a postcard advising her of her upcoming free night, I did not receive any advance notification either by email or mail.

I booked my free night immediately for a 45000-point room.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
Good anywhere that has award nights available at 40K or less.

Also, the legacy certs (issued up to May 1) are not capped at 50K. They’re good at any property: I recently used one at a 55K Kimpton.
Thanks for clearing this up for me.
beltway likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 1:07 am

HI,

I have a free night booked on the 17th March in Miami however would like to change hotels but don't want to cancel the free night and then not be able to rebook the new hotel. Does anybody know a way of checking if the free night is available before i cancel?
Thanks
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:15 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, M Life Gold, Wyndham Diamond, Caesars Diamond, IHG Plat
Hello.

I recently just booked 2 nights at the Venetian under 2 different reservations for each night. Under the 60k award night reservation it states under the "Taxes and Additional charges", that there will be a 45.00 resort fee per night. As for the annual free night cert reservation, it does not have that language. Does that mean I will only pay 1 nights worth of resort fee from the points redemption?
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by plzkthx
Hello.

I recently just booked 2 nights at the Venetian under 2 different reservations for each night. Under the 60k award night reservation it states under the "Taxes and Additional charges", that there will be a 45.00 resort fee per night. As for the annual free night cert reservation, it does not have that language. Does that mean I will only pay 1 nights worth of resort fee from the points redemption?
Resort fees are per night at any property in Vegas. No matter how you book. Only high rollers get resort fees waived.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Exleftseat
I tried using one of our certs at a date past the expiration and the booking page wouldn't take it. I remember last year I was still able to book within the timeframe for
a date past the timeframe.
Anybody else experiencing this? If so, it’s a big deal.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum, National EE
My fiancee and I just used my free night cert at the Kimpton Canary in Santa Barbara (70k points/night value) two weeks ago. I figured that was my last year of non-points-based free nights through my IHG card. I just checked and my next free night (valid Jan. 19, 2019 to Jan. 18, 2020) appears to be working at any property, including the new IC Hayman Island and either of the IC Bora Bora properties. What a nice surprise - first I'm hearing of this extension.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.