Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 21, 2014, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
FAQs
1. What are the current types of free-night certificates (FNC)?
2. Where do I find the FNC(s) in my IHG online account?
3. Is a FNC revoked if I cancel my Chase card?
4. If I make a reservation using my FNC and then need to cancel, are there any special procedures? Do I have to call IHG?
5. Can I use my FNC for a date past the certificate's expiration, provided that I make the reservation prior to that expiration date?
6. Can I trade/gift my FNC?
7. If I have multiple IHG cards (other than the Traveler card), do I get more than one FNC?

1. What are the current types of free-night certificates (FNC)?

As of April 2023, there are four different active FNC types. Described below in order from newest to oldest (roughly), they will appear in your account under the following headings:
  • Premier Credit Card Annual Flex Night: The anniversary FNC, good for a base room up to 40K points, for the personal Premier card. This FNC is described as “flex” because you can redeem for an award in excess of 40K by adding points on top of the FNC (aka "topping up").
    • Note: points used to top up a Flex FNC are not subject to the 10% rebate for Select cardholders.
  • Business Credit Card Annual Flex Night: The anniversary FNC for the IHG Business card. This is identical in all respects to the Premier flex cert.
  • New Cardmember Bonus Free Night: Some recent offers for the personal Premier card have included one or more FNCs in the signup bonus. These FNCs are capped at 40K value; there is no "flex"/"top-up" option.
  • Select Credit Card Anniversary Night: The anniversary FNC for the older Select card, for which Chase stopped accepting applications in 2018. As with the previous category, this FNC type has a hard cap of 40K redemption value.
Depending on how long you have been a Chase IHG cardholder and which cards you've held, your FNC Details page may also display a placeholder section ("0 Anniversary Nights") for two other FNC types that no longer exist:
  • Premier Credit Card Anniversary Night: Prior to March 24, 2022, the personal Premier card FNC was hard-capped at 40K value. On March 24, all unused FNCs of this type were automatically converted to Premier "flex" FNCs as described above.
  • Credit Card Anniversary Night: Prior to May 1, 2018, anniversary FNCs for the Select card were uncapped--that is, they could be used at any IHG property.

2. Where do I find the FNC(s) in my IHG online account?

After you log into the website, click on the section at the top of the window showing your first name and current point balance. This will take you to the Overview page of the My Account section. Underneath the gray box showing your status level, member number, and points balance you will see a submenu with "Overview" selected. Click on "Rewards Wallet" to go to the page summarizing your FNCs. Click "Details" to see the type(s) of FNC(s) in your account.

You can also go directly to the Details page by logging in and visiting http://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/us/en...gmt/freenights (for English-speaking US members).

3. Is a FNC revoked if I cancel my Chase card?

No.

4. If I make a reservation using my FNC and then need to cancel, are there any special procedures? Do I have to call IHG?

You may cancel your reservation online using the same process as for any other reservation. The certificate is normally returned to your account immediately and available for re-use with no wait and no need to call IHG. For unknown reasons, on rare occasions a FNC will not instantly reappear; in such cases, call IHG customer service to have the FNC redeposited manually.

5. Can I use my FNC for a date past the certificate's expiration, provided that I make the reservation prior to that expiration date?

As of January 2019, members are reporting that they are unable to do this.
Formerly, some members reported success in doing this. (See, for example, the discussion at post #516.) Two basic recommendations:
  • It is advisable to obtain advance written confirmation, ideally from the hotel itself, that your certificate will be honored under these circumstances.
    • At least one FTer reports having successfully booked post-expiration stays without confirming with the property in advance; see posts 719 & 723. YMMV.
  • Once the certificate expiration date passes, you will not be able to make any changes to the reservation (occupancy, date, room type, etc).

6. Can I trade/gift my FNC?

No. FNCs are non-transferable.

7. If I have multiple IHG cards (other than the Traveler card), do I get more than one FNC each year?

Yes. The Select card (legacy), the personal Premier card, and the Premier Business card all include an anniversary FNC as a benefit. But note the difference, discussed above, between the Select card FNC--capped at 40K value--and the "flex" FNCs associated with the other cards. The no-fee Traveler card does not provide a FNC benefit.

In previous years, Chase issued the anniversary FNC shortly before the annual fee was billed. More recently, Chase has begun delaying issuance of FNCs until at least 8 weeks after the annual-fee statement date, presumably to prevent accountholders from canceling their cards while keeping the FNC.

Questions related to the extension of the certificate due to the Coronavirus are discussed in its own thread, which is here.

Print Wikipost

Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2017, 7:52 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver - IHG Spire AMB - Hilton Gold - Choice Hotels Platinum - Hertz Gold FiveStar
Originally Posted by vnfilm1
I have 1 night certificate and plan to use it at Intercontinental Hong Kong ( No. 18 Salisbury Road, Tsim Sha Tsui ) . However, I can not see any reward room available.

Have anyone able to view availability at this hotel thru IHG.com

I contacted the IHG reservation desk and was told I can not see reward night online myself. Only the reservation desk can and only reservation desk can book it for me.

I wonder if the information given to me is true . If not, how do you book an award night using Chase certificate . I log in my IHG account and still unable to book the reward using certificate myself. I have no problem booking a reward using point on my account.

Please advise and thank you
*** See Wiki at the top of this thread.... ***

From your main account page, click the "Free Night Status" tab on the left as shown below, from there you click "Book Free Night" and continue as usual. ^
Attached Images  
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Tony300S
*** See Wiki at the top of this thread.... ***

From your main account page, click the "Free Night Status" tab on the left as shown below, from there you click "Book Free Night" and continue as usual. ^
Thanks for your pointer. I tried to do the award free night booking , but unable to see the free night offer in Intercontinental hotel in Hong Kong. It is strange that the reservation personnel desk can see it, but not me.

Does anyone has the same problem for searching fee award night ?
Old Oct 18, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA Explorer card, AA Plat, Copa Plat, IHG Plat,
IHG system glitch Can't Book free nights

I just got off of chat with IHG rep and she said they were having problems with their system. I have tried several times to book my free night and she said sorry they are working on the problem!!!!
Old Oct 19, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA Explorer card, AA Plat, Copa Plat, IHG Plat,
IHG chat rep booked for me

Originally Posted by rrohio
I just got off of chat with IHG rep and she said they were having problems with their system. I have tried several times to book my free night and she said sorry they are working on the problem!!!!
Today I still couldn't book the free night on IHG so I did another chat today and this rep. went ahead and booked my free night for me. Thanks to a good rep. this one is done but I hope they get the website problem for Chase free nights fixed soon. Me and wife wife each have ones to use
Old Oct 19, 2017, 12:47 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Gold, Delta, AMEX Membership Rewards
I just spoke with an IHG rep last night who as able to book two nights using free night certs without issue.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: BA Silver, Icelandair, IHG Diamond Elite Ambassador, Hertz 5*
I am looking to book two nights in San Francisco - one night is the Chase Free Night and the other will be points - do I have to make two separate reservations or can I call and have the booking under one reservation number? I have look through the thread, but there doesn't appear to be a definitive answer -
Old Nov 6, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, CC Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, DL PM
Originally Posted by Skyline
I am looking to book two nights in San Francisco - one night is the Chase Free Night and the other will be points - do I have to make two separate reservations or can I call and have the booking under one reservation number? I have look through the thread, but there doesn't appear to be a definitive answer -
You have to book the nights separately. I usually write in the notes on the first reservation that I have a reservation for the following night and I ask to be kept in the same room.

You can also follow up with the hotel a week ahead of time to alert them that you have 2 reservations and would like to stay in the same room.
Skyline likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: BA Silver, Icelandair, IHG Diamond Elite Ambassador, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by KathinJax
You have to book the nights separately. I usually write in the notes on the first reservation that I have a reservation for the following night and I ask to be kept in the same room.

You can also follow up with the hotel a week ahead of time to alert them that you have 2 reservations and would like to stay in the same room.
Thank you - good clarification.
KathinJax likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 1:40 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
I have a UK IHG Mastercard and my credit card statement now says I have just recently earned my free night for this year and also when I log into my IC Hotels account, under "Free Night Status" I see a message that says "Congratulations, you have earned your free night....etc".

However, in the top right corner of the dialogue box it says, "Available Free Nights.....0" and there are no links or methods to book it?

So my questions it seems I have earned my 2017 free night on CC spend (and my IHG Mastercard on-line account clearly states this) but how do I actually book it?

Last edited by BOH; Nov 21, 2017 at 2:04 am
Old Nov 25, 2017, 8:11 pm

I have used my free night for the past 3 years with no problem, but apparently this time I did something wrong... I just used my Chase free night to book an IC suite, so good it was unbelievable. My email confirmation shows it as an AAA rate of "free", but the online reservation is showing the full monetary rate. My free night status shows the night as used. I assume the error is to do with it showing as an AAA rate? What did I do wrong? I don't even know whether I should call the hotel or IHG to fix this? The rate is way too high for me to gamble on whether or not I will be charged for it...
Old Nov 27, 2017, 11:30 pm

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
I've seen this happen too where it shows an AAA rate of "free" and a Chase Anniversary night of "free". The new web site seems buggy. I'd try to search again, too bad you can't book Chase nights on mobile.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 9:13 am

Has anyone tried to extend the expiration of your annual free night? Mine expires on December 16, 2017 but I don't have a need for it until Jan. 2018.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 2:00 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver - IHG Spire AMB - Hilton Gold - Choice Hotels Platinum - Hertz Gold FiveStar
Originally Posted by iowa guy
Has anyone tried to extend the expiration of your annual free night? Mine expires on December 16, 2017 but I don't have a need for it until Jan. 2018.
I read here somewhere that via SM or Chase chat they use to offer an extension, but believe those days have past. I think I tried myself a few years back with no luck.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by iowa guy
Have you read the discussion in the wiki above?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by jadecocoa
Just completed a Sept stay with a free night expiry in July. Have done this every year for the last 3 years without any problems.
Originally Posted by beltway
More detail would be helpful. Did you contact the property in advance? Have any issues on checkin/checkout?

How would the property know that you are booking with an expired 'anniversary free night'? Wouldn't they just see that you have a reservation for the night that you arrive?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.