Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 21, 2014, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
FAQs
1. What are the current types of free-night certificates (FNC)?
2. Where do I find the FNC(s) in my IHG online account?
3. Is a FNC revoked if I cancel my Chase card?
4. If I make a reservation using my FNC and then need to cancel, are there any special procedures? Do I have to call IHG?
5. Can I use my FNC for a date past the certificate's expiration, provided that I make the reservation prior to that expiration date?
6. Can I trade/gift my FNC?
7. If I have multiple IHG cards (other than the Traveler card), do I get more than one FNC?

1. What are the current types of free-night certificates (FNC)?

As of April 2023, there are four different active FNC types. Described below in order from newest to oldest (roughly), they will appear in your account under the following headings:
  • Premier Credit Card Annual Flex Night: The anniversary FNC, good for a base room up to 40K points, for the personal Premier card. This FNC is described as “flex” because you can redeem for an award in excess of 40K by adding points on top of the FNC (aka "topping up").
    • Note: points used to top up a Flex FNC are not subject to the 10% rebate for Select cardholders.
  • Business Credit Card Annual Flex Night: The anniversary FNC for the IHG Business card. This is identical in all respects to the Premier flex cert.
  • New Cardmember Bonus Free Night: Some recent offers for the personal Premier card have included one or more FNCs in the signup bonus. These FNCs are capped at 40K value; there is no "flex"/"top-up" option.
  • Select Credit Card Anniversary Night: The anniversary FNC for the older Select card, for which Chase stopped accepting applications in 2018. As with the previous category, this FNC type has a hard cap of 40K redemption value.
Depending on how long you have been a Chase IHG cardholder and which cards you've held, your FNC Details page may also display a placeholder section ("0 Anniversary Nights") for two other FNC types that no longer exist:
  • Premier Credit Card Anniversary Night: Prior to March 24, 2022, the personal Premier card FNC was hard-capped at 40K value. On March 24, all unused FNCs of this type were automatically converted to Premier "flex" FNCs as described above.
  • Credit Card Anniversary Night: Prior to May 1, 2018, anniversary FNCs for the Select card were uncapped--that is, they could be used at any IHG property.

2. Where do I find the FNC(s) in my IHG online account?

After you log into the website, click on the section at the top of the window showing your first name and current point balance. This will take you to the Overview page of the My Account section. Underneath the gray box showing your status level, member number, and points balance you will see a submenu with "Overview" selected. Click on "Rewards Wallet" to go to the page summarizing your FNCs. Click "Details" to see the type(s) of FNC(s) in your account.

You can also go directly to the Details page by logging in and visiting http://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/us/en...gmt/freenights (for English-speaking US members).

3. Is a FNC revoked if I cancel my Chase card?

No.

4. If I make a reservation using my FNC and then need to cancel, are there any special procedures? Do I have to call IHG?

You may cancel your reservation online using the same process as for any other reservation. The certificate is normally returned to your account immediately and available for re-use with no wait and no need to call IHG. For unknown reasons, on rare occasions a FNC will not instantly reappear; in such cases, call IHG customer service to have the FNC redeposited manually.

5. Can I use my FNC for a date past the certificate's expiration, provided that I make the reservation prior to that expiration date?

As of January 2019, members are reporting that they are unable to do this.
Formerly, some members reported success in doing this. (See, for example, the discussion at post #516.) Two basic recommendations:
  • It is advisable to obtain advance written confirmation, ideally from the hotel itself, that your certificate will be honored under these circumstances.
    • At least one FTer reports having successfully booked post-expiration stays without confirming with the property in advance; see posts 719 & 723. YMMV.
  • Once the certificate expiration date passes, you will not be able to make any changes to the reservation (occupancy, date, room type, etc).

6. Can I trade/gift my FNC?

No. FNCs are non-transferable.

7. If I have multiple IHG cards (other than the Traveler card), do I get more than one FNC each year?

Yes. The Select card (legacy), the personal Premier card, and the Premier Business card all include an anniversary FNC as a benefit. But note the difference, discussed above, between the Select card FNC--capped at 40K value--and the "flex" FNCs associated with the other cards. The no-fee Traveler card does not provide a FNC benefit.

In previous years, Chase issued the anniversary FNC shortly before the annual fee was billed. More recently, Chase has begun delaying issuance of FNCs until at least 8 weeks after the annual-fee statement date, presumably to prevent accountholders from canceling their cards while keeping the FNC.

Questions related to the extension of the certificate due to the Coronavirus are discussed in its own thread, which is here.

Print Wikipost

Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2016, 12:30 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
I've now got two (one expiring June 18th). I want to use both for my stay at the IC in Melbourne in late July. I've tried emailing the property twice now but have received no response. Should I just book and hope they accept it (or don't notice it) or try giving them a call and working it out over the phone. I feel the lack of response is their way of saying no...
Book it online. If it takes it - it takes it. Why chat with them?
Old Jul 9, 2016, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Used my free night cert at the IC in Toronto. Got a very large king room overlooking the CN Tower and Lake Ontario. It's a beautiful, elegant room. Now about those breakfast benefits.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 12:11 am

I've now got two (one expiring June 18th). I want to use both for my stay at the IC in Melbourne in late July. I've tried emailing the property twice now but have received no response. Should I just book and hope they accept it (or don't notice it) or try giving them a call and working it out over the phone. I feel the lack of response is their way of saying no...
Book the free nights online then a couple days before arrival call the hotel to just CHECK your reservation, if they say you are good to go chances are you will be.

I wouldn't attract any undue attention by telling them the cert is expired.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by flyer4512
Book the free nights online then a couple days before arrival call the hotel to just CHECK your reservation, if they say you are good to go chances are you will be.

I wouldn't attract any undue attention by telling them the cert is expired.
IMO this is a recipe for a disaster at check-in. I've never attempted it, but if I were to, I'd make certain I had a green light in writing from someone at the property. Rely on a mere phone call, and the words exchanged between you & the FDC on arrival may be equally unprintable.

(Unless, of course, you like the idea of having to pay rack rate, in which case be my--rather, their--guest.)
Old Jul 15, 2016, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by beltway
IMO this is a recipe for a disaster at check-in. I've never attempted it, but if I were to, I'd make certain I had a green light in writing from someone at the property. Rely on a mere phone call, and the words exchanged between you & the FDC on arrival may be equally unprintable.

(Unless, of course, you like the idea of having to pay rack rate, in which case be my--rather, their--guest.)
Have there been any datapoints of someone who made this type of booking and ran into problems later? I have hesitation as well, but I just haven't heard of any issues at all.

My wife and I each have a free night expiring in October and no plans to use them before then. We we are going to SE Asia in late January and would love to use our certs at IC SIngapore.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Have there been any datapoints of someone who made this type of booking and ran into problems later? I have hesitation as well, but I just haven't heard of any issues at all.

My wife and I each have a free night expiring in October and no plans to use them before then. We we are going to SE Asia in late January and would love to use our certs at IC SIngapore.
Read this entire thread - in the long gone past there were people had greenlight from IHG to use expiring cert for future stays but being warned that any change on the reservation would render the booking reverted back to the revenue booking and the expired cert worthless.

I 100% agree with beltway - unless you get a WRITTEN permission from IHG / hotel in using the expired certs for future stays, be prepare to be their PAYING Guest at rack rate. Aint going to be cheap at Singapore IC.

Better to get your clearance before your certs expired. If both parties agree, then you have a nice free stay. If told No can do, then you look for alternative and not to let your certs expire worthless. It is very simple approach to avoid nasty surprise.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 7:11 pm

Dec 2015 I used an expired certif by calling central reservations , I was told OK -- BUT-- if do not use on the reservation I made, the ticket would expire worthless even if I cancelled way before official hotel cancellation date
Old Jul 15, 2016, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Read this entire thread - in the long gone past there were people had greenlight from IHG to use expiring cert for future stays but being warned that any change on the reservation would render the booking reverted back to the revenue booking and the expired cert worthless.

I 100% agree with beltway - unless you get a WRITTEN permission from IHG / hotel in using the expired certs for future stays, be prepare to be their PAYING Guest at rack rate. Aint going to be cheap at Singapore IC.

Better to get your clearance before your certs expired. If both parties agree, then you have a nice free stay. If told No can do, then you look for alternative and not to let your certs expire worthless. It is very simple approach to avoid nasty surprise.
I might email the hotel, but I can already imagine they'll say "no" if I ask about using an expired cert.
Regarding asking IHG, how do I contact them? Is there a specific email for Ambassadors?
Old Aug 3, 2016, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA Explorer card, AA Plat, Copa Plat, IHG Plat,
Ours are mising today

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I'm missing the view of my free night, too, now! When I checked my account this evening I could not find the link in the left-side column. It was there a day or two ago when I checked. Anyone else seeing a glitch tonight?

Update: Next morning, the "Free Night Status" link is visible again. Sloppy IT for pushing out glitches like this.
Both me and my wife's view free nights are missing from are screen today
Old Aug 4, 2016, 2:27 am
Formerly known as hcampana

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I used 2 certificates (one new, one expiring) at once before and had no problem with it. I used them at IC Paris for a 2 night stay.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 11:46 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Citi-Prestige,
Originally Posted by rrohio
Both me and my wife's view free nights are missing from are screen today
Mines is missing today when i looked
Old Aug 14, 2016, 9:40 pm

Can the free night certificate be used at a Kimpton?
Old Aug 16, 2016, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zippy the pinhead
Can the free night certificate be used at a Kimpton?
I dont think Kimpton is bookable with points yet. Until that happens, the cert could not be used to book there.

Someone corrects me if s/he could book a point stay at Kimpton. I have never seen it available for award booking for the few cities I looked.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
got the email this morning that my free night is on the way & i should get it within the next 30 days....

a bit early this year....if i remember correctly i get the free night in october every year....
Old Aug 17, 2016, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Keyser
got the email this morning that my free night is on the way & i should get it within the next 30 days....

a bit early this year....if i remember correctly i get the free night in october every year....
The cert should post on or near your account anniversary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.