Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 12, 19, 3:59 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: jbeckett
Wiki Link
Where can I use the annual free-night certificate?

For certificates issued for the Select card before May 1, 2019, any IHG hotel with Chase free night space available. Chase free night certificates issued on or after May 1, 2019 for the Select card, or issued on any date for the Premier card, are limited to any IHG hotel costing 40000 points or less.

Where do I find the free-night cert in my IHG online account?

On the My Account page, look at the navigation menu on the left side of the screen. If you have a certificate -- either unused or used -- you will see a "Free Night" link below "My Offer Status" and above "Upcoming Reservations". If the link does not appear, try using this direct link after you have logged into your IHG account.

Is the annual free-night certificate revoked if I cancel my Chase card?

No.

If I make a reservation using my free-night certificate and then need to cancel, are there any special procedures? Do I have to call IHG?

You may cancel your reservation online using the same process as for any other reservation. The certificate is normally returned to your account immediately and available for re-use with no wait and no need to call IHG. For unknown reasons, on rare occasions a cert will not instantly reappear; in such cases, call IHG customer service to have the cert redeposited manually.

Can I use my free-night certificate for a date past the certificate's expiration, provided that I make the reservation prior to that expiration date?

As of January 2019, members are reporting that they are unable to do this.
Formerly, some members reported success in doing this. (See, for example, the discussion at post #516.) Two basic recommendations:
  • It is advisable to obtain advance written confirmation, ideally from the hotel itself, that your certificate will be honored under these circumstances.
    • At least one FTer reports having successfully booked post-expiration stays without confirming with the property in advance; see posts 719 & 723. YMMV.
  • Once the certificate expiration date passes, you will not be able to make any changes to the reservation (occupancy, date, room type, etc).
Can I trade/gift my Free-Night Certificate?

No. Anniversary Free-Night Certificates are non-transferable.
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 2, 16, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by dw View Post
It's possible this is a glitch and it's showing you the reimbursement rate the property receives from IHG Rewards for the award stay. $50 is definitely in the ballpark for that.
Thanks dw. Seems to have been a glitch--no longer seeing the $50 while searching inventory for chase anniversary free nights today.
Old Feb 3, 16, 10:09 am

Programs: IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, National EE
I have a free night that expires in June this year. I don't have time for an out-of-country trip so what's a good property to use it at in the US (minus HI)?

Looks like the Intercontinental Times Square and Willard DC are valuable redemptions. Location isn't much of an issue as I can position essentially anywhere in the US.
Old Feb 3, 16, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by ChiefNWA View Post
I have a free night that expires in June this year. I don't have time for an out-of-country trip so what's a good property to use it at in the US (minus HI)?

Looks like the Intercontinental Times Square and Willard DC are valuable redemptions.
Most ICs in major cities are points-expensive & thus, by one metric, valuable redemptions.

Just be sure to reserve early. The Times Square IC tends to run out of award rooms well in advance. (Most dates in March & April are already unavailable.) And with the increased points costs for both -- Times Square going from 50K to 60K, and the Willard going from 50K to 55K -- coming in less than 2 weeks, you'll be competing with a lot of members trying to book now.
Old Feb 8, 16, 2:20 am

Programs: IHG,Hyatt, Hilton Diamond, Marriott, Wyndham, SPG, United, Delta, Alaska, AA, Southwest
My dads first anniversary on his IHG card just passed and I am not seeing his free night. I thought the free night posted a few days before the anniversary date but I have only received a couple ( my card and my wife) free nights so I could be mistaken.

He got in on the Spire Elite deal last year and was awarded an extra 25K points but I didn't think this effected his annual free night which I am pretty sure was part of the Spire offer.

I sent an email to Chase but figured I would ask here in case that deal did not include a free annual night.

Thanks
Old Feb 8, 16, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyer4512 View Post
My dads first anniversary on his IHG card just passed and I am not seeing his free night. I thought the free night posted a few days before the anniversary date but I have only received a couple ( my card and my wife) free nights so I could be mistaken.

He got in on the Spire Elite deal last year and was awarded an extra 25K points but I didn't think this effected his annual free night which I am pretty sure was part of the Spire offer.

I sent an email to Chase but figured I would ask here in case that deal did not include a free annual night.

DH's account never got any email from IHG but the free night posted without hitch, with the exact date of the anniversary date.

Thanks
Mine didn't show up on the anniversary date, but rather towards the end of the anniversary week.

I did get an email from IHG a month before anniversary to inform me a free night was coming. No email on the posting. The duration of validity is kind of weird though - from 10/26/15 to 11/04/16. No idea why it is not exactly one year.

DH never received any email but his posted without glitch, again weird dates 01/04/16 to 01/13/17.

Seems there are additional 9 to 10 days padding to the validity.

Last edited by Happy; Feb 8, 16 at 1:44 pm
Old Feb 8, 16, 3:53 pm

Programs: IHG,Hyatt, Hilton Diamond, Marriott, Wyndham, SPG, United, Delta, Alaska, AA, Southwest
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Mine didn't show up on the anniversary date, but rather towards the end of the anniversary week.

I did get an email from IHG a month before anniversary to inform me a free night was coming. No email on the posting. The duration of validity is kind of weird though - from 10/26/15 to 11/04/16. No idea why it is not exactly one year.

DH never received any email but his posted without glitch, again weird dates 01/04/16 to 01/13/17.

Seems there are additional 9 to 10 days padding to the validity.
I found an email that said thanks for applying on 2/8 so it wasn't instant approval but given I made his first purchase 2/19 I couldn't have taken long.

No email regarding the free night so far.

Our last free night posted for my wife in Sept , 4 days before her anniversary date just like mine.

No rush for the night as it will be for April 2017 and can't even be booked yet

No word from Chase yet

Last edited by flyer4512; Feb 8, 16 at 4:10 pm
Old Feb 12, 16, 12:35 am

Programs: Still deciding...
Exchanging Free Night Cert. for Night booked on points?

Apologies if this is a repeat, but I searched and read the wiki and couldn't find an answer. If I book an IHG room on points, can I call once I receive my Free Night Cert and exchange it?

I booked Thalasso and don't want to risk losing my reso, but would love to have the 50k points back to spend on Points Breaks.

Thank you very much!
Old Feb 22, 16, 7:42 pm

Hi. SO i Looked through about 25-30 pages and did a search, but couldn't find an answer. Can you have two IHG credit cards and get two free nights? Thanks

Edit: looks like you can't product convert SWA to IHG, per my convo with chase rep, eh.

Last edited by leftpinky; Feb 22, 16 at 8:32 pm
Old Mar 8, 16, 7:48 am

Has anyone been successful with converting an award night to an anniversary night? If so, did you ask IHG or the hotel about doing it? My husband's anniversary night won't be coming for another 10 days or so, and the hotel we want seems to have very limited award rooms for our dates.

Last edited by mareh; Mar 29, 16 at 3:41 pm
Old Mar 17, 16, 11:37 am

Location: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada and Sacramento, CA, US; UA Explorer Card Holder
Originally Posted by mareh View Post
I think this has come up before, but I can't find it. Has anyone been successful with converting an award night to an anniversary night? If so, did you ask IHG or the hotel about doing it? My husband's anniversary night won't be coming for another 10 days or so, and the hotel we want seems to have very limited award rooms for our dates.
One approach is to just book the anniversary night, and then to cancel the duplicate awards booking. I did this recently in Miami Beach at the HI.
Old Mar 17, 16, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Reindeerflame View Post
One approach is to just book the anniversary night, and then to cancel the duplicate awards booking. I did this recently in Miami Beach at the HI.
I can't. There's no award availability now.
Old Mar 26, 16, 4:24 am

Sorry for this basic question, but I'm new to the IHG rewards card and have been trying to find out for a while now how I can use the free night certificate? There are no instructions with the materials I received with the card. Also I do not see the "free night status" area in my online profile that some blogs talk about. I asked IHG rewards on Twitter and they said that the free night can only be booked by phone. Is that true?

Thanks.
Old Mar 26, 16, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by Hosserunda View Post
Sorry for this basic question, but I'm new to the IHG rewards card and have been trying to find out for a while now how I can use the free night certificate? There are no instructions with the materials I received with the card. Also I do not see the "free night status" area in my online profile that some blogs talk about. I asked IHG rewards on Twitter and they said that the free night can only be booked by phone. Is that true?
This & much more is explained in the wiki at the top of this page. (Must use desktop/"Full Site" mode to view it.)
Old Mar 27, 16, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by beltway View Post
This & much more is explained in the wiki at the top of this page. (Must use desktop/"Full Site" mode to view it.)
I read the Wiki and neither "this" nor "much more" related to my specific issues is explained. I do not have that button the wiki is talking about in my online profile and IHG has stated to me in writing that you can only book by phone... Any advice?
Old Apr 14, 16, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, AS, LH, BA, VS, HHonors, Hyatt, Club Carlson, IHG, Marriott
Has anyone had any luck extending the validity of of the cert after it expires or having it reissued?

Search this Thread