Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 21, 2014, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
FAQs
1. What are the current types of free-night certificates (FNC)?
2. Where do I find the FNC(s) in my IHG online account?
3. Is a FNC revoked if I cancel my Chase card?
4. If I make a reservation using my FNC and then need to cancel, are there any special procedures? Do I have to call IHG?
5. Can I use my FNC for a date past the certificate's expiration, provided that I make the reservation prior to that expiration date?
6. Can I trade/gift my FNC?
7. If I have multiple IHG cards (other than the Traveler card), do I get more than one FNC?

1. What are the current types of free-night certificates (FNC)?

As of April 2023, there are four different active FNC types. Described below in order from newest to oldest (roughly), they will appear in your account under the following headings:
  • Premier Credit Card Annual Flex Night: The anniversary FNC, good for a base room up to 40K points, for the personal Premier card. This FNC is described as flex because you can redeem for an award in excess of 40K by adding points on top of the FNC (aka "topping up").
    • Note: points used to top up a Flex FNC are not subject to the 10% rebate for Select cardholders.
  • Business Credit Card Annual Flex Night: The anniversary FNC for the IHG Business card. This is identical in all respects to the Premier flex cert.
  • New Cardmember Bonus Free Night: Some recent offers for the personal Premier card have included one or more FNCs in the signup bonus. These FNCs are capped at 40K value; there is no "flex"/"top-up" option.
  • Select Credit Card Anniversary Night: The anniversary FNC for the older Select card, for which Chase stopped accepting applications in 2018. As with the previous category, this FNC type has a hard cap of 40K redemption value.
Depending on how long you have been a Chase IHG cardholder and which cards you've held, your FNC Details page may also display a placeholder section ("0 Anniversary Nights") for two other FNC types that no longer exist:
  • Premier Credit Card Anniversary Night: Prior to March 24, 2022, the personal Premier card FNC was hard-capped at 40K value. On March 24, all unused FNCs of this type were automatically converted to Premier "flex" FNCs as described above.
  • Credit Card Anniversary Night: Prior to May 1, 2018, anniversary FNCs for the Select card were uncapped--that is, they could be used at any IHG property.

2. Where do I find the FNC(s) in my IHG online account?

After you log into the website, click on the section at the top of the window showing your first name and current point balance. This will take you to the Overview page of the My Account section. Underneath the gray box showing your status level, member number, and points balance you will see a submenu with "Overview" selected. Click on "Rewards Wallet" to go to the page summarizing your FNCs. Click "Details" to see the type(s) of FNC(s) in your account.

You can also go directly to the Details page by logging in and visiting http://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/us/en...gmt/freenights (for English-speaking US members).

3. Is a FNC revoked if I cancel my Chase card?

No.

4. If I make a reservation using my FNC and then need to cancel, are there any special procedures? Do I have to call IHG?

You may cancel your reservation online using the same process as for any other reservation. The certificate is normally returned to your account immediately and available for re-use with no wait and no need to call IHG. For unknown reasons, on rare occasions a FNC will not instantly reappear; in such cases, call IHG customer service to have the FNC redeposited manually.

5. Can I use my FNC for a date past the certificate's expiration, provided that I make the reservation prior to that expiration date?

As of January 2019, members are reporting that they are unable to do this.
Formerly, some members reported success in doing this. (See, for example, the discussion at post #516.) Two basic recommendations:
  • It is advisable to obtain advance written confirmation, ideally from the hotel itself, that your certificate will be honored under these circumstances.
    • At least one FTer reports having successfully booked post-expiration stays without confirming with the property in advance; see posts 719 & 723. YMMV.
  • Once the certificate expiration date passes, you will not be able to make any changes to the reservation (occupancy, date, room type, etc).

6. Can I trade/gift my FNC?

No. FNCs are non-transferable.

7. If I have multiple IHG cards (other than the Traveler card), do I get more than one FNC each year?

Yes. The Select card (legacy), the personal Premier card, and the Premier Business card all include an anniversary FNC as a benefit. But note the difference, discussed above, between the Select card FNC--capped at 40K value--and the "flex" FNCs associated with the other cards. The no-fee Traveler card does not provide a FNC benefit.

In previous years, Chase issued the anniversary FNC shortly before the annual fee was billed. More recently, Chase has begun delaying issuance of FNCs until at least 8 weeks after the annual-fee statement date, presumably to prevent accountholders from canceling their cards while keeping the FNC.

Questions related to the extension of the certificate due to the Coronavirus are discussed in its own thread, which is here.

Print Wikipost

Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard

Old Sep 12, 2014, 8:31 am

[QUOTE=beltway;23514747]No. Why would you be charged anything (other than for consuming the free-night cert itself)?[/QUOTE

Thanks for the reply! In my understanding the free night is from the $49 membership but now chase refund me .
Old Sep 16, 2014, 2:29 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
I have booked to use my UK IHG Rewards Black Visa card at an IC. Will my Ambassador benefits apply, including the upgrade from a Classic room?

Thanks.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 5:52 pm

Last year, I got my chase free night email around Aug 25, which is my card anniversary. This year, nothing till date. Both IHG and Chase are passing the buck to each other. Any ideas what to do now? I need to make a reservation quickly.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 6:31 pm

This will be my first time getting the free annual night, my card anniversary is 9/25

I have a couple questions, the free night with show up on my account under "My Offer Status" around the time of my anniversary, correct ?

This cert can be used for a free night at any IHG hotel including Intercontinental ?

The hotel I am looking at is the Intercontinental Boston for July 2015 and the cheapest rate is $539 a night.

Thanks

Last edited by flyer4512; Sep 16, 2014 at 6:46 pm
Old Sep 17, 2014, 5:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyer4512
This will be my first time getting the free annual night, my card anniversary is 9/25

I have a couple questions, the free night with show up on my account under "My Offer Status" around the time of my anniversary, correct ?

This cert can be used for a free night at any IHG hotel including Intercontinental ?

The hotel I am looking at is the Intercontinental Boston for July 2015 and the cheapest rate is $539 a night.

Thanks
Yes, yes, and if there is award space, then you can use your certificate. If there is no award space, you cannot.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Yes, yes, and if there is award space, then you can use your certificate. If there is no award space, you cannot.
Thanks, If they show rooms available using points the free cert should be accepted for that date, correct ?

Thanks
Old Sep 17, 2014, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Thanks, If they show rooms available using points the free cert should be accepted for that date, correct ?

Thanks
YES. Actually, Free Night is found under FREE NIGHT STATUS tab.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 4:38 pm

Where is the "free night status" tab ?

I go into account and I don't see that tab. Is it possible the tab will appear when the free night certificate is issued ?

Thanks

Last edited by flyer4512; Sep 17, 2014 at 4:45 pm
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:53 pm
Suspended

I go into account and I don't see that tab. Is it possible the tab will appear when the free night certificate is issued ?

Thanks
I think that is probably it. I am not a big IHG guy, but it would appear that since you don't have that tab and I do, that once your web page changes, you have the free night loaded into your account.

That tab will probably also track your free nights that you earn from the current promotion -- I'm just guessing on that, however, but it makes sense.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC

Thanks
Have never seen this before, pretty cool. Only feature to add is a record of where you used all of your free nights. ^
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:07 am
Suspended

That tab only appears once you have a free-night cert. And it stays there even after the cert is consumed.

If you have this option, it will appear on the My Account page in the navigation menu on the left (below My Offer Status and above Upcoming Reservations).
Old Sep 19, 2014, 4:30 pm

Data Point concerning free night

Thank you for contacting IHG Rewards Club regarding your inquiry. We appreciate the opportunity to assist you with your concerns regarding your anniversary certificate.

Kindly wait within 1-2 weeks after your anniversary date for your free night certificate be available for redemption. You will be notified via email communication once it is available on your account.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 1:17 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Keyser
has anyone here managed to use the free night for someone else????

I want to use it to book a stay for my father tomorrow night....
Was your father able to use your free night? I'm wondering the same thing...found a post (page 18) that includes an IHG email stating it may be used for someone else so long as their name is included in the reservation. However, the email is from 2012 and the T&C's clearly state the annual free night is non-transferable.

Your experience would be helpful to know.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by 54austin
Was your father able to use your free night? I'm wondering the same thing...found a post (page 18) that includes an IHG email stating it may be used for someone else so long as their name is included in the reservation. However, the email is from 2012 and the T&C's clearly state the annual free night is non-transferable.

Your experience would be helpful to know.
i never went ahead & booked....i didn't get a response here & the t&c said that its not transferable so i couldn't take a chance....
Old Sep 24, 2014, 9:12 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Keyser
i never went ahead & booked....i didn't get a response here & the t&c said that its not transferable so i couldn't take a chance....
Thanks for the response. I'm going to give it a try. The first night will be on my own certificate and I've added myself as an additional guest on the subsequent two nights. I'll also email the hotel to have them link all the reservations. Hopefully, it will work out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.