Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 21, 2014, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
FAQs
1. What are the current types of free-night certificates (FNC)?
2. Where do I find the FNC(s) in my IHG online account?
3. Is a FNC revoked if I cancel my Chase card?
4. If I make a reservation using my FNC and then need to cancel, are there any special procedures? Do I have to call IHG?
5. Can I use my FNC for a date past the certificate's expiration, provided that I make the reservation prior to that expiration date?
6. Can I trade/gift my FNC?
7. If I have multiple IHG cards (other than the Traveler card), do I get more than one FNC?

1. What are the current types of free-night certificates (FNC)?

As of April 2023, there are four different active FNC types. Described below in order from newest to oldest (roughly), they will appear in your account under the following headings:
  • Premier Credit Card Annual Flex Night: The anniversary FNC, good for a base room up to 40K points, for the personal Premier card. This FNC is described as “flex” because you can redeem for an award in excess of 40K by adding points on top of the FNC (aka "topping up").
    • Note: points used to top up a Flex FNC are not subject to the 10% rebate for Select cardholders.
  • Business Credit Card Annual Flex Night: The anniversary FNC for the IHG Business card. This is identical in all respects to the Premier flex cert.
  • New Cardmember Bonus Free Night: Some recent offers for the personal Premier card have included one or more FNCs in the signup bonus. These FNCs are capped at 40K value; there is no "flex"/"top-up" option.
  • Select Credit Card Anniversary Night: The anniversary FNC for the older Select card, for which Chase stopped accepting applications in 2018. As with the previous category, this FNC type has a hard cap of 40K redemption value.
Depending on how long you have been a Chase IHG cardholder and which cards you've held, your FNC Details page may also display a placeholder section ("0 Anniversary Nights") for two other FNC types that no longer exist:
  • Premier Credit Card Anniversary Night: Prior to March 24, 2022, the personal Premier card FNC was hard-capped at 40K value. On March 24, all unused FNCs of this type were automatically converted to Premier "flex" FNCs as described above.
  • Credit Card Anniversary Night: Prior to May 1, 2018, anniversary FNCs for the Select card were uncapped--that is, they could be used at any IHG property.

2. Where do I find the FNC(s) in my IHG online account?

After you log into the website, click on the section at the top of the window showing your first name and current point balance. This will take you to the Overview page of the My Account section. Underneath the gray box showing your status level, member number, and points balance you will see a submenu with "Overview" selected. Click on "Rewards Wallet" to go to the page summarizing your FNCs. Click "Details" to see the type(s) of FNC(s) in your account.

You can also go directly to the Details page by logging in and visiting http://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/us/en...gmt/freenights (for English-speaking US members).

3. Is a FNC revoked if I cancel my Chase card?

No.

4. If I make a reservation using my FNC and then need to cancel, are there any special procedures? Do I have to call IHG?

You may cancel your reservation online using the same process as for any other reservation. The certificate is normally returned to your account immediately and available for re-use with no wait and no need to call IHG. For unknown reasons, on rare occasions a FNC will not instantly reappear; in such cases, call IHG customer service to have the FNC redeposited manually.

5. Can I use my FNC for a date past the certificate's expiration, provided that I make the reservation prior to that expiration date?

As of January 2019, members are reporting that they are unable to do this.
Formerly, some members reported success in doing this. (See, for example, the discussion at post #516.) Two basic recommendations:
  • It is advisable to obtain advance written confirmation, ideally from the hotel itself, that your certificate will be honored under these circumstances.
    • At least one FTer reports having successfully booked post-expiration stays without confirming with the property in advance; see posts 719 & 723. YMMV.
  • Once the certificate expiration date passes, you will not be able to make any changes to the reservation (occupancy, date, room type, etc).

6. Can I trade/gift my FNC?

No. FNCs are non-transferable.

7. If I have multiple IHG cards (other than the Traveler card), do I get more than one FNC each year?

Yes. The Select card (legacy), the personal Premier card, and the Premier Business card all include an anniversary FNC as a benefit. But note the difference, discussed above, between the Select card FNC--capped at 40K value--and the "flex" FNCs associated with the other cards. The no-fee Traveler card does not provide a FNC benefit.

In previous years, Chase issued the anniversary FNC shortly before the annual fee was billed. More recently, Chase has begun delaying issuance of FNCs until at least 8 weeks after the annual-fee statement date, presumably to prevent accountholders from canceling their cards while keeping the FNC.

Questions related to the extension of the certificate due to the Coronavirus are discussed in its own thread, which is here.

Print Wikipost

Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2011, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by soitgoes
PCR, not Reservations.

The exact number on the e-mail is 1-877-318-5890, but it doesn't really matter.
very true....i just called the plat line....
Old Nov 1, 2011, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Ie, just because you are going to redeem for 40k doesn't mean the average person does. I suspect most people (especially the ones who are not FTers) redeem between 15k and 25k.
i agree....i just redeemed mine for a property that was going for 15k a night....
Old Nov 2, 2011, 10:38 am

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Just redeemed the cert for a stay at the Palazzo.

Originally Posted by dawgs
Has anyone successful used this cert at the Venetian in Vegas yet?
Originally Posted by tdfxman
Good question. I can't wait to see the answer.

Last edited by rdchen; Nov 3, 2011 at 9:32 pm
Old Nov 3, 2011, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Oct 12 anniversary, still no cert.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Still no email but I called 1-877-318-5890 and the CSR confirmed I have a credit of 1 night valid through 31 Oct 2012 on the account. Anniversary was 8 Oct.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

No cert on either account also. However thanks to the advice of soitgoes we have already used one cert for a Nov stay at ICHK. Anniversary date is Oct 26.

I believe IHG's IC has totally messed up things with the re-design of the PCR site. Plenty of the functions no longer work. The automatic emailing probably is also affected. Thank goodness that we dont need to present the e-cert at the hotel, as specifically specified in the confirmation of booking.

EDIT:

e-Certs arrived today 11/04/11.

Last edited by Happy; Nov 4, 2011 at 5:56 pm
Old Nov 10, 2011, 7:38 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Well isn't this just the biggest joke.

Anniversary date Oct 12. Already got my big email.

Nov 9th I get a letter in the mail from IHG saying congratulations on reaching 1 year.

Then letter says something like "expect and email soon"...
Old Nov 10, 2011, 10:50 pm

This seems to be a mess. So here's what happens:

1. I get an email 8/29 telling me of my upcoming anniversary of 10/13. Email says I will receive the cert within one week of anniversary date.

2. Annual fee charged 10/1

3. Today, 11/10 I call. Agent first says info she has on her screen says 6-8 weeks. I ask her to look into it. She finds an email that should have been sent to me dated 10/19 (the "week of my anniversary) and that email says I should get it 2-4 weeks after that date.

It's clear that there is a glitch somewhere. Agent put notes in and said it will go to their marketing department for review.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 7:24 am

i have been waiting my free night e-mail since 9/29. i called and talked to the Philippines 3 times to no avail.
sent 2 emails which were answered that they would look into it. NO ANSWER.

just called the number in the above message and was now told that the free night has been there since 9.30.

no explanation as to why i never received email about it and admitted it does not show in my account.

PRIORITY CLUB IS THE WORST!!!
Old Nov 16, 2011, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rdchen
Just redeemed the cert for a stay at the Palazzo.
^ Good to hear it works there.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 11:49 pm

11/17 still no cert...
Old Nov 17, 2011, 9:22 am

Programs: AS 100K, AA Gold, IC Diamond AMB, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mnredfox
11/17 still no cert...
Isn't it safe to assume that if you paid your annual fee/passed your anniversary with the card, that there is a free night "credit" in your account, just waiting to be used?

That's the assumption I am making, email or no (and in my case, like yours, no email...)
Old Nov 17, 2011, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by TheBeerHunter
Isn't it safe to assume that if you paid your annual fee/passed your anniversary with the card, that there is a free night "credit" in your account, just waiting to be used?

That's the assumption I am making, email or no (and in my case, like yours, no email...)
Makes sense, but without a code how do I redeem?
Old Nov 17, 2011, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is no code. You redeem simply by telling the PCR phone rep that you want to book your Chase Free Night. The so-called e-certificate is simply an email telling you to call to book.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by soitgoes
There is no code. You redeem simply by telling the PCR phone rep that you want to book your Chase Free Night. The so-called e-certificate is simply an email telling you to call to book.
that's correct....i just called the plat line & asked to redeem my night....didn't need any code....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.