Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IHG Shareholder Discount

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2018, 6:53 pm

still an interesting topic. does it still work? can someone PM me the actual discount? thx
Old Jul 28, 2018, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by BruceyBonus
If you can find a broker that deals in paper share certificates on the London Stock Exchange, your name will end up on the shareholder's register in the UK and that *should* make you eligible for the discount. The registrar is Equiniti, who offer a postal dealing service for Ł20.00.

AFAIK, there is nothing stopping US citizens holding a paper share certificate in a UK company.
I understand this is an old thread, but Im trying anyway.

I have IHG shares, and I would like to get this discound. Im from Norway, and like in the US. I cant get the shares inn my own name. Im thinking I could move my shares from my Norwegian broker to an UK based one, ie. Equiniti.
Does anyone have experience with Equiniti? Do I need to have any special account?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:02 pm

what's the best way for a US citizen to acquire 1 stock?

BTW My disney paper cert gives me no discounts
Old Nov 23, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
I'm curious if there is any new information on this subject?

My pursuit started out with learning about cruise discounts for shareholders. That seems fairly explicit for the three larger cruise companies. A minimum of 100 shares would yield one a discount of between $50 and $150 on a cabin, depending upon the # of days for the cruise. Trying to decide whether to do one or more of them. Half thinking about getting shares for grandkids....

But while looking for that information, I also stumbled upon IHG, 3M and Kimberly-Clark shareholder benefits.

3M will let one order $26 gift boxes of their products (2019 price). My shares are held at a brokerage, but a note to 3M got me information on how to proceed. I ordered two and they have arrived.

Kimberly-Clark has a gift box program similar to 3M's, but I neglected to record the details. I don't have Kimberly-Clark stock and the deal didn't pique my interest enough to go further.

But I'm still hoping to learn more about the IHG program??
Old Jan 22, 2021, 9:30 am

If you would like to find the smallest of COVID silver linings, you can find it in the fact that I, an employee at an IHG property, stumbled across this thread and believe I have an answer for you.

It looks like it's 15% off of the regular Best Flexible Rate--which is just the base rate that we sell. The shareholder discount does have a harsher cancellation policy than normal however. It requires full prepayment from the time of booking, and the terms indicate there is no refund in the event of cancellation. This puts it in the ballpark of the Book Early & Save discount that anybody could book online prior to COVID and especially so if you piggyback your IHG Rewards member discount on top of that. The terms also state that you are required to present a voucher. Speaking as someone who has worked at IHG hotels for approximately 10 years, I encountered this discount code for the first time only today, and I don't know what type of voucher I'd even be looking for. If you use this discount at a specific hotel with a stickler at the front desk and you don't have a voucher, it'll likely affect your experience there.

Based on the above, I don't personally believe it would be worthwhile to purchase IHG stock in order to have the discount available to you. An IHG Rewards member discount of an advance purchase (Book Early & Save) rate will get you within $5 max of a shareholder discount. In addition, for the former, it's easy for you to book, any front desk agent should know exactly what they are doing with it, and it doesn't require you to purchase stock you otherwise might not want. For the latter, you have to purchase stock, lack of familiarity with the discount is likely to negatively affect your service experience, and it's not as easy for you to book.

That being said, a conversation about buying stock at different exchanges for yourself or your kids in order to garner discounts is not exactly a conversation a large cross section of society (including myself) is normally having, so I'm pretty sure I'm replying to a bunch of people who are smarter than me and whom I can only aspire to be like.....so feel free to come to your own conclusion regardless of my own.

Happy travels to you all.
seawolf, DaveH, DiverDave and 6 others like this.

Last edited by Patroclus; Jan 22, 2021 at 9:37 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.