Crowne Plaza Brussels Le Palace (Master Thread)

Old Oct 26, 2004, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Crowne Plaza Brussels Le Palace (Master Thread)

Has anyone stayed at the CP Brussels City Centre in the last few months since its refurbishment?

Past reports were critical but the hotel was sold last year and the rooms were apparently done up this year. I need somewhere convenient for Gare du Nord as I need to get an early train back to the airport. Thanks.
Old Oct 27, 2004, 12:11 am

Programs: AC Elite *G :: LH Sen *G :: IC Royal Amb :: PC Plat :: HH Diamond
Just two weeks ago I stayed at the Hilton Brussels City, which is next door to the Crowne Plaza. The CP entrance towards Rogier (where Hilton and Sheraton has their main entrances) was still closed (due to refurbishments according to a sign on that door). And the facade was definitely not completed since construction workers were all over the Crowne Plaza.

I had my last night at the CP airport. This was a great hotel, can’t be older than 2 years or so. Very modern and well equipped (WLAN internet in the public areas and LAN in the rooms). Executive Club lounge with open bar up on the top floor.
They offer a free shuttle bus to and from the airport and the trip takes less than 4 minutes. Internet rates from 82 euro.
Old Oct 27, 2004, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Many thanks - will have a look at the Hilton (which is actually owned by the same Swedish group who own the CP, I found out yesterday).
Old Oct 27, 2004, 7:28 am

Programs: AC Elite *G :: LH Sen *G :: IC Royal Amb :: PC Plat :: HH Diamond
Please note that Hilton Brussels is not the same as Hilton Brussels City, go for the City one if you wanna stay in the Rogier area

Have a nice trip!
Old Nov 21, 2004, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Oh dear, oh dear

OK, I'm back from my one night at the CP Brussels (Rue Gineste one, not the Europa). This hotel has undergone a major refurbishment, but I still cannot recommend it if you want a four star experience.

Its hard to know where to start. Some rooms have had an Art Nouveau makeover, but not the standard one I was in. (No Ambassador upgrade - and yes, I do know the rules, but the place seemed pretty empty.) They have been redecorated but not to a high standard. The rooms are small, have low saggy beds and, because the hotel is 'E' shaped, most rooms look directly into the room opposite.

The in-room facilities are simply not up the scratch despite the refurb. I don't expect a four star bathroom to have plastic cups that come sealed in a bag. Neither do I expect the shower to be on the side, not end, of the bath giving you no room to move. I don't expect worn carpet (obviously not replaced during the refurb), a half-broken TV remote control or a broken kettle. I don't expect the TV channels available to bear no resemblance to the list in the in-room booklet. Neither do I expect my alarm call from the automated system you set yourself via your phone to be 15 minutes late. However, the CP delivers all this and more.

Good points: it is next to Rogier Metro and 2 minutes from Nord station (where airport trains stop). It is also at the top end of the main shopping street. However, with the Hilton Brussels City literally next door and the Sheraton opposite, there is no reason to stay here even at the Euro 71 weekend rate.

By the way, make sure you come out of Nord station from the right exit. The side exit leaves you in an Amsterdam-style red light area that is certainly not for the narrow minded - especially on the street behind the street behind the station.

If you want to stay in the heart of the tourist area, I passed a new-looking Ibis and Novotel built around a nice square near the Grand Place which may be worth a look. If you want top-end luxury, the Amigo is the obvious choice.

(I'm only hoping that I get the 2,000 bonus BA Miles from the current IC promotion, which is the only reason I stayed here. If the promo doesn't kick in - and I wasn't invited to register, only heard about it on FT - I will be very annoyed!)
Wolfram Heerlen likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2004, 10:41 am

Programs: Platinum Royal Ambassador,GC Elite,HH Gold,DC Gold,*A Gold
Having stayed at some of the same places as you and had similar service, and noted comments from them, this place must be horrific to get this sort of review RJB!!!!

I am doing a lot of euro travel next year, and this place was on my list so I will avoid it like the plaque, seems beyond belief that a hotel just having a refurb can have worn carpets and so on, I would imagine one of the main reasons you stayed there was because it had just been refurbed, as any one would.

I would send an email to PC and let them know how bad it is, and how unhappy you are.

Shocking really.

Dino
Old Jul 4, 2009, 2:13 am

Programs: IHG, CC, HH, AF, AA, UA
Question Update on CP Brussels "Le Palace" ?

Does anyone have some more recent experience staying at this hotel ?

How are Platinum members treated and is there a lounge ?

Thanks,
Yann

Last edited by yann; Jul 4, 2009 at 2:25 am
Old Apr 14, 2011, 9:37 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
CP Brussels Le Palace

I spent 3 nights at this property, a combination of a paid stay and a 2 for 1 rate stay. The hotel is located across the street from the Rogier Metro station (4.5 euro day ticket, 1.80 euro single ticket), and about a 2 block walk to Gare du Nord which allows you access to the airport (5.20 euro) or other parts of Belgium (I did a side trip over to Leueven which has the oldest Catholic university in Belgium dating back to 1425). There is a bus station next to the rail station (I did bus to Leuven and rail back to break it up).

Free wifi is offered and I noticed the router in the hallway above a doorway just down from mine. Signal was very good as I uploaded a couple hundred photos.

I did not have breakfast here as it was not included in my rate, and at 26 euros (about $37) well out of my price range.

As you cross the street to the Rogier station entrance there is a shopping center that includes a supermarket down below (closes at 2000, closed on Sunday). If you continue on it takes about 20 minutes to walk to Grand Place along primarily pedestrian-only streets. If you don't mind the walk you could easily explore the city center without getting a Metro ticket or pass at all.

I had a 4th floor room that looked across the courtyard into another room, so no view to speak of. You will notice street noise, particularly sirens and accelerating motorcycles and cars from the boulevard on the side of the hotel, but this noise seems to be easily tuned out by turning on the heating/air conditioning unit to block it. I slept well.

Also note there is a 6 euro city tax per night that will be charged on check-out. The hotel adjoins a Hilton (did an award night there in conjunction with this stay) and the Sheraton with a Brussels Grill restaurant, a franchise I saw about Brussels, is behind the hotel.

I'd readily stay here again.

Old Jan 7, 2016, 1:56 pm

Programs: Priority Platinum
Any recent stays here?
Old Jan 7, 2016, 3:22 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Club Carlson & Hilton HHonors Gold, Sixt Platinum
I've stayed multiple times at this property in the last 2 years. They always honored my elite status with an upgrade to a deluxe room or junior suite. Breakfast is really worth it, but it's best to add the breakfast fee to your online booking, which is a lot cheaper than adding it in the hotel itself.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:00 am

Programs: Spire Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by Weller
Any recent stays here?
I had a one night stay here 3 weeks ago in the one bedroom suite. Nice suite with large living room, separate bedroom, 2 toilets and view on the 'Botanique' park. Great room!

If found breakfast was good, but nothing outstanding tho.. Just a very decent 4* breakfast.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Full report of my last stay:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28227668-post58.html
Old Jun 30, 2017, 11:34 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by nicolas75
nicolas75 not sure if you will see this but in the quoted post you mentioned "Free minibar (but not informed at check-in)"

How did you find out? Anyone else have info to report?

I am considering a cheap mattress run for accelerate - CP is €83 and HI Schuman is €70 both incl breakfast, not planning to spend much time in the hotel. Which one should I go for?
Old Jun 30, 2017, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by :D!
nicolas75 not sure if you will see this but in the quoted post you mentioned "Free minibar (but not informed at check-in)"

How did you find out? Anyone else have info to report?

I am considering a cheap mattress run for accelerate - CP is €83 and HI Schuman is €70 both incl breakfast, not planning to spend much time in the hotel. Which one should I go for?
I was told upon check in, rather nonchalantly, like it was no big deal. Well, when you see the minibar, it is no big deal. I think 1 maybe 2 beers inside with 1 maybe 2 Coca Cola drinks. Not fully stocked but I guess it's ok as an unexpected benefit. Spire here.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 12:24 am

Programs: QR Plat, HH Diamond
I think the executive rooms with view of Botanique Park are quite decent for the corporate rate paid and I really liked the sauna + mini-gym across the hall

the location is decent as well as the service, would stay here again for +/- EUR 100

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.