Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Policy and Platinum Benefits

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2011, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: PC Platinum, Best Western Diamond, Skywards, Nectar
Upgrade Policy and Platinum Benefits

Is it just me thats been experiencing this of late? Just about every HI/CP Ive stayed at over the past three months, I am yet to receive a complimentary room upgrade (even when the rooms are available).
Now dont get me wrong, the points are great with Priority Club but the room upgrades are getting few and far between which sort of undervalues the Platinum status.
Now I generally stay at IHG hotels for nearly 200 days of the year (yes really!) but, most of the places now offer very little to the priority club member (points aside).
This ranges from discount on food and drinks vanishing (10%) to be replaced by a 20% service charge on everything at some places (Ive only noticed this on checkout).
Complimentary newspapers (gone)
Free drink at check in (offered by some but now gone)
The Priority check in has also lost its charm as a few of the hotels recently have removed the Priority check in sign so you queue with everyone else to sign in.
Am I expecting too much or just generally being a bit of a moaner?
Old Mar 29, 2011, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
200 nights are you aren't a RA?
Old Mar 29, 2011, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat, ICH Plat RA, Hyatt Diamond, LAN Prem Silver
I think you should join the Ambassador program, take advantage of the 241 deals at the IC's in Frankfurt, Vienna, Budapest and Malta and get yourself promoted to Royal Ambassador. Use the BOGO at the London IC.

I think you will find you receive far better treatment as a RA Platinum as opposed to a mere Platinum at many ICHG hotels, mainly CP's, across the UK.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 12:09 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8520/4.6.1.314 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/125)

HI Birmingham gave me an exec upgrade, free drinks voucher and were offering free Independents last weekend - and the weekend before, CP Manchester Airport gave me my usual Club room and club access - although they have told me in the past that is more to do with being an RA than a Plat
Old Mar 29, 2011, 12:12 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8520/4.6.1.314 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/125)

Originally Posted by mnredfox
200 nights are you aren't a RA?
I used to do over 100 nights at UK HIs and had never heard of Ambassador - many people will never use an IHG property outside the UK, and we currently only have one IC so not much opportunity to earn RA.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 2:09 pm

Do you have a list of the properties? May as well name and shame them!
Old Mar 29, 2011, 3:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Where do you mainly stay? Considering the number of nights, there are other programs that offer more status benefits for that level of stays, such as Marriott, Hilton, but obviously you need properties to stay at! ICHG tends to be more common outside of city centres than those two
Old Mar 29, 2011, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat, ICH Plat RA, Hyatt Diamond, LAN Prem Silver
Originally Posted by ag51

I used to do over 100 nights at UK HIs and had never heard of Ambassador - many people will never use an IHG property outside the UK, and we currently only have one IC so not much opportunity to earn RA.
That's true but given how cheap budget air travel is within Europe it's definitely worth taking advantage of the 241 deal's at IC's to make sure
you get RA. It does appear that many UK CP's look after RA's. Maybe we should list them. In additon to Manchester & Birmingham, Heathrow, Gatwick and London Shoreditch all seem to give preferential treatment to RA's.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 4:15 pm

Programs: IHG
Originally Posted by Motors
Do you have a list of the properties? May as well name and shame them!
The OP has a good point.

Motors has asked for an example, so here's one from me.

Holiday Inn Reading M4 Junction 10, United Kingdom.

The hotel has a formal policy of refusing upgrades to executive rooms, instead they offer a standard room on the 5th floor (they have six floors but the top floor is smoking)

The hotel formally defends it's policy here: (read Management responses)
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_R...e_England.html

Sorry for any pop ups, but this is a great site.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 4:42 pm

Programs: BMI/SQ/AFKL/PC RAmbo®/Oyster/B&Q
Originally Posted by midnight
The OP has a good point.

Motors has asked for an example, so here's one from me.

Holiday Inn Reading M4 Junction 10, United Kingdom.

The hotel has a formal policy of refusing upgrades to executive rooms, instead they offer a standard room on the 5th floor (they have six floors but the top floor is smoking)

The hotel formally defends it's policy here: (read Management responses)
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_R...e_England.html

Sorry for any pop ups, but this is a great site.
The response is so entirely ignorant and/or full of sh*t , that i thought worthy of a copy/paste to save the bother

Quote:

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments.

We are however disappointed by some of your ratings which are clearly motivated by your having demanded a free upgrade to an executive room on arrival, which you are aware you are not entlted to as a Platinum Priority Club member in a Holiday Inn. This entitlement to a free room upgrade only applies when you stay at an Intercontinental Hotel which is the 5 star brand within our chain. As you will appreciate , this was explained to you by both the duty manager on arrival and our guest relations department, but regretably motivated your review without any valid reason.
I would also note for the record that our new hotel is a Four Star property having recently been awarded AA 4 star status whilst the other Holiday Inn you refer to in Reading has a 3 star classification.
Regards

:unquote

...in fact looking at the reviews it wouldn't be at all surprising if they wrote a few themselves.Some are a little OTT .....even for a ' boutique ' HI

Last edited by docklander; Mar 29, 2011 at 5:49 pm Reason: ..additional literary flair
Old Mar 29, 2011, 4:50 pm

Programs: IHG Plat; CC Gold
I have also stayed at Reading, junction 10, they were not very good, they wanted to charge me for a room I had already paid for, and ignored requests.

Conversely, I got good treatment with upgrade and drinks etc from Stratford on Avon last week,
Old Mar 30, 2011, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by docklander
Quote:

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments.

We are however disappointed by some of your ratings which are clearly motivated by your having demanded a free upgrade to an executive room on arrival, which you are aware you are not entlted to as a Platinum Priority Club member in a Holiday Inn. This entitlement to a free room upgrade only applies when you stay at an Intercontinental Hotel which is the 5 star brand within our chain. As you will appreciate , this was explained to you by both the duty manager on arrival and our guest relations department, but regretably motivated your review without any valid reason.
I would also note for the record that our new hotel is a Four Star property having recently been awarded AA 4 star status whilst the other Holiday Inn you refer to in Reading has a 3 star classification.
Regards

:unquoteI
I'd be sending this cr8p through to IHG corporate. The tone is incredibly condescending for somebody that doesn't even know the rules of their own programme.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by camsean
I'd be sending this cr8p through to IHG corporate. The tone is incredibly condescending for somebody that doesn't even know the rules of their own programme.
Poor customer relations on the part of the hotel, but they do know the rules of the program. There is no requirement to upgrade to Executive Rooms; the hotel is fulfilling it's obligations by giving PC members rooms on a higher floor, as stated in the T&Cs. While many hotels obviously think that they will generate more loyalty and repeat business by offering better than the minimum required, some will stick to the letter of the rules.

4.Hotel Room Upgrades for Platinum Members: Platinum level members will be offered a complimentary upgrade, as determined by the hotel, which might include rooms on higher floors, corner rooms, newly renovated rooms, or rooms with preferred views. The upgrade will be offered at time of check-in, based on availability, and will only apply to the member's personal guest room. The hotel is not required to upgrade members to suites or specialty rooms. Upgrade benefit will not apply to rooms booked as a Reward Night reservation.
http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/pc/.../0/en/ptc.html
Old Mar 30, 2011, 7:53 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum Amb
If they know the rules then why are they quoting that room upgrades are only for Intercontinental Hotels and not Holiday Inns for Plat? I was under the impression that IC didnt recognize Plats at all and only reward AMB status.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by PixieStyx
If they know the rules then why are they quoting that room upgrades are only for Intercontinental Hotels and not Holiday Inns for Plat? I was under the impression that IC didnt recognize Plats at all and only reward AMB status.
I was only talking about the upgrades for Plats at HIs - you're right that the bit about ICs is drivel (unless the person who complained was a Plat Amb or RA)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.