Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC Kuala Lumpur (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Simply put, as before Sep2017 Amb t+c rewtites, Ambassadors (non RAs) should book a Club room upfron if lounge access is required

Ambasador then is upgraded keeping their lounge access

Booking 1cat below Club Lounge rooms at an IC has never given Ambassadors a right to Lounge access.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 6:03 am

Programs: HH Diamond IHG Spire Amb MR PLAT
just did the IC KL I'm AMB/Spire booked on points. Upgrades to Club cost about 57usd plus tax..I drink so it was worth it for me i definitely got my money worth.. the food is good as well both breakfast and cocktail hour.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 2:07 am

I stayed here for two weekends this year as a Plat Amb. Both time I booked a club room for around 500-550 MYR. The first time I was upgraded to a ambassador suite. The second time the club manager emailed me four days before the stay saying that while they try to upgrade to Executive Suites all the suites were "fully committed" and instead offered me the choice of an airport pickup or buffet dinner for two at Serena Brasserie. I saw executive suites still available to book so I made a refundable booking for one and asked for them to cancel that booking and upgrade the original booking which they agreed to. I'm not sure what "fully committed" was supposed to mean or if there was some cancellation or internal confusion at the hotel but at least this seems to be an improvement from them inventing corner club rooms to upgrade to. On my last stay I got a teddy bear, some fruit, and 600 points as welcome amenities. I also had no problem getting 4pm late checkouts.

I think this hotel has 9 executive suites, 3 ambassador suites, and 1 presidential suite and 1 royal suite so I'm not sure what they do if too many Ambs/RA book club rooms. Assuming you can get upgraded to a suite I think this hotel is excellent value as the hotel is relatively cheap and the upgrade from a club room to suite is large (42 sqm to 84 sqm). The rooms I had look like the pictures on the website. They could be more modern but weren't dated either. Soundproofing could be improved though. The club lounge is the highlight of the hotel and much more visually appealing. I thought the food choices in the lounge were fairly high quality as well. During cocktail hour there was a rotating hot food selection, 2-3 white and red wines, a sparkling wine, standard spirits, and a few simple cocktails. The location is fairly central and a short walk to the Petronas Towers or one stop on the LRT although I think the GH, JW Marriott, RC, MO, etc. have slightly better locations.

I have no doubt that there are nicer hotels in KL but I think the IC is significantly cheaper so it's a good value especially if you can get a suite upgrade in which case it's an excellent value. I have also stayed at the Majestic as a Marriott Gold which is another good value although in a significantly less central location.
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 4:50 am
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by quant88

I have no doubt that there are nicer hotels in KL but I think the IC is significantly cheaper so it's a good value especially if you can get a suite upgrade in which case it's an excellent value. I have also stayed at the Majestic as a Marriott Gold which is another good value although in a significantly less central location.
This hotel would be close to the bottom on my preference list, if you want a better room much cheaper try the Element across the road, no club. The DT has gone downhill since the GM went Thai, the Hilton and LM are good value and I always enjoy the Sheraton, all usually cheaper than the nickel and dime IC.
happygolucky_nomad likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by quant88

The hotel has certainly come on since its early days after the brand switch from Niko. They've kept the bizarre bum washing toilets, but the rooms have been smartened. The lounge is impressive, as is the service there: my only niggle is its evening opening at 17:30 (for two hour). The infrastructure is old and the the lifts noisy. They have at last upgraded he gym.

Construction work that seemed to surround the property has been completed

I'm aware of but never understood subtle differences in room categories. I just book the cheapest and get a perfectly nice room, giant bed, on the club floors. On my own, I really couldn't give a toss about suites - they create more opportunity to lose my glasses

One small joy is having an LRT station outside the door. The other was easy access to the quirky old shopping mall across the road, Malaysia's first: but that finally closes at the end of this year.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist , Bonvoy Titanium United Silver AA Platinum, AS Gold 75K
Originally Posted by nvoi
What would be your suggestion? If overall IHG properties are enforcing the terms and won't give club access, I better take my room nights elsewhere (i guess there's really only marwood or Hilton...).
I highly recommend the Grand Hyatt, Westin and JW in that order (for KL) . Hyatt Globalist benefits are the best by far! I hate always fighting for my benefits and playing games with Intercontinental, its totally obnoxious and honestly ridiculous. I however like the IHG brand for everything other then Intercontinental. As a Spire Ambassador I get excellent treatment from all the other brands in the IHG family including the newly acquired Kimpton properties (US based higher end boutique brand) I recommend if you have to choose one brand to be loyal to and Hyatt has properties in the cities you frequent it has the best loyalty program you will always enjoy upgrades, lounge access and you will never have to fight with them, you will honestly just feel appreciated for your business. My second choice is Marriott/SPG for loyalty benefits but I still personally value the IHG brand as they have a lot of hotels and like I said they treat you pretty good at all the other hotels outside of Intercontinental.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by applejax
... I however like the IHG brand for everything other then Intercontinental. As a Spire Ambassador ...

Your view will be quite different once you attain RA status
Unterwegs, nicolas75 and scubaccr like this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Any updates for 2019 stays? Plan 3 nights end November- tentative booking for Grand Premier King.
I am Platinum Ambassador. Switched form SPG (using BRG's) to ICH. Been very satisfied with ICH hotels thus far. Starriot status dropped to Platinum Elite.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zebranz
Any updates for 2019 stays? Plan 3 nights end November- tentative booking for Grand Premier King.
I am Platinum Ambassador. Switched form SPG (using BRG's) to ICH. Been very satisfied with ICH hotels thus far. Starriot status dropped to Platinum Elite.
It has a comfortable and well-catered club lounge: quite a spectacular and well managed space. But I'm pretty sure they won't upgrade you to club access.

I'd suggest going for a lesser room and counting on a room upgrade. Use the cash saved towards buying yourself club access.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:24 am
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
I would suggest staying across the road at the Element, much better room for a lot less coin. The IC KL has long been a disappointing hotel when it comes to alternatives in the area.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 6:27 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
What does an IC hotel car service cost for a one-way run between KLIA and the hotel? Is it worth it? What alternatives are recommended— regular taxi all the way, train to KL Sentral then car or cab, other options?

Does KLIA have a mid-range official car service like the AoT cars in Bangkok?

Edited to add: I see that ALM KL Airport Limo is the mid-range car service from KLIA. Welcome any opinions on whether it’s worth it and a comparison to IC’s hotel car service.

Last edited by MegatopLover; Jul 24, 2019 at 6:59 am
Old Jul 24, 2019, 8:42 am

Last time there I was using Grab (asian version of uber, works very similar) a lot. Cheaper than Taxi, and often a regular Taxi shows up. Don't remember how much it was from / to the airport but it was very reasonable.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MegatopLover
What does an IC hotel car service cost for a one-way run between KLIA and the hotel? Is it worth it? What alternatives are recommended— regular taxi all the way, train to KL Sentral then car or cab, other options?

Does KLIA have a mid-range official car service like the AoT cars in Bangkok?

Edited to add: I see that ALM KL Airport Limo is the mid-range car service from KLIA. Welcome any opinions on whether it’s worth it and a comparison to IC’s hotel car service.
Train or bus to Sentral then LRT (metro) or taxi/Grab to the hotel. Ampang Park LRT station is across the road from the IC, on a direct line from Sentral.

Train is MYR55, bus MYR15, LRT MYR3, taxi/Grab around MYR20. Train takes 30 minutes to Sentral, bus one hour. Count on additional 30 minutes for the transfer from Sentral.

Taxi is MYR75, Grab a little less. You can find limo services online. Hotel car will be a silly price. Journey around one hour or a little less, but can be a longer if there's traffic.

If I'm not in a hurry I take the bus: otherwise the train - though if there's two or more of us taxi makes more sense.
MegatopLover likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 9:03 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
Last time there I was using Grab (asian version of uber, works very similar) a lot. Cheaper than Taxi, and often a regular Taxi shows up. Don't remember how much it was from / to the airport but it was very reasonable.
My last Grab ride from KUL to the GH (near KLCC, so about the same as the IC) was RM87.90 with RM9 in tolls.Grab had a promo before this and the price was like RM 10 less. I'm usually getting in to KUL about 3 pm so a little traffic in town.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 3:21 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
My corporate rate includes breakfast. Two of us (1 room) for 3 nights. Difference for Club Room is $68 a night (all in).

Am I better off:
1. paying for drinks and meals (with Ambassador discount)
2. buying up for club access
3. book a club room for the $204

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.