Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Holiday Inn Sandton (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2008, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Holiday Inn Sandton (Master Thread)

need a night in JNB and thinking I may avail myself of the fab 5k a night here .
but dont want to stay there if its a dump

Anyone been there?
Old Jan 1, 2009, 3:17 am

It's a brand new property. We were there in early Oct. on a very cheap promotional rate. Check-in took a bit long (because of the unusually low rate and they had just opened), but the service was overall helpful. We were upgraded to a very nice corner room and I was only Gold at the time. The b'fast was nice (about 150 ZAR, IIRC), but we didn't receive any PC points for it (I think they were still figuring out the PC system). There is a small shopping mall nearby with a Pick'n'Pay where we were able to stock up on provisions for our upcoming safari (to Kruger NP). We picked up our rental car at Budget, which is just two blocks down Rivonia Rd., walking distance. The car from the airport was ZAR300; we used www.buzzaround.co.za and were very pleased with the service (extremely helpful driver).

I'd definitely go back if I wanted to stay in Sandton, but I think next time we'll probably stay at the HI in Soweto and visit some of the historical sites and museums there, since we haven't been yet.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I've stayed at most of the HIs in Sandton, many of which are now just Southern Suns, and found them all quite acceptable and safe. Were J'burg on my itinerary for the next two months I'd have no hesitancy in booking them on a Points Break...though I'd love to see the IC Sun come back on the list. That was a sweet deal! Since Sandton itself is relatively new, all these properties are in very good shape, though some of the best have now left the HI fold in the rearrangement of brands that occurred over the past two years.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
We've a PB night in Soweto and a BOGO at the IC coming up. I was thinking of extending the trip by a night or two, so honu's comments are very interesting. Might even change the IC revenue booking for a PB redemption at the HI , especially as the IC rates at southernsun.co.za have increased to match IHG so no rate guarantee credit.

I'm assuming that only the Towers part is now the IC, with the other part now a Southern Sun.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Roger
I'm assuming that only the Towers part is now the IC, with the other part now a Southern Sun.
IIRC it is now just the Towers. Given promos and all, I'd opt for one of the HIs in Sandton over the Towers. Save the money and the BOGO (if it doesn't expire this month or next).
Old Jan 2, 2009, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Stayed at the HI Sandton in November for one night - about 730 rand if I recall correctly. PC points didn't post and still haven't despite putting in a missing points request.

The property is brand new and very nice lobby. Rooms are excellent. Property lacks any kind of character - but I think that is common with the Sandton area. Free parking for all guests. About a 5 minute walk from Nelson Mandela square, with a smaller mall right next door. Concierge tried to dissuade us from walking to Mandela square due to safety concerns: I don't think this was out of vested interest to take hotel car but rather a common advisory. In any case, during daytime I don't see why one wouldn't walk as there are many people and the area is very commercial with lots of people about.

Internet is expensive, and no perks for platinum status whatsoever. But staff was very nice and helpful. Pool was advertised as open but had no water in it, although a lifeguard was on duty and towels were provided.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I'm at this property now and I have to say this is the finest HI I've ever been too. I got an upgrade to an enormous executive suite, all modern and luxurious. This is better than most CP's I know and even better than some IC's I could name.

It's next to a nice shopping mall and there is an Aston Martin dealer across the street. Very upscale area.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't forget to have a big juicy steak at The Butcher Shop across in the Square!
Old Mar 24, 2009, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Don't forget to have a big juicy steak at The Butcher Shop across in the Square!
Already been there! Funny you mentioned this. When I asked the hotel concierge where the Butcher Shop was, they gave me a coupon. When I read the coupon later it says it is only for air crew. So apparently some flight crews stay here and they thought I was one of them. But I didn't think it was right to use it so I'll give it back.

It is a great restaurant and was quite busy on a Tuesday night. No economic crisis visible here!
Old Mar 25, 2009, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
... apparently some flight crews stay here ...
Yes, I mentioned the lack of 'English' channels on the TV (thinking of BBC World and Sky News) and the preponderance of Arab channels such as Al-Jazeera. They pointed out that they had a lot of crew from Etihad and other airlines from the region.

Ahem, I would have used the coupon.

OT, I know but I was a guest of a party apparently ripped off by The Butcher Shop. My hosts ordered (or thought they did) wine by type, e.g. Pinotage, and were served vintage wine at far higher prices. [I'm told this has happened to other parties,especially when a group.] After a heated discussion, the restaurant partially reduced the bill. Not my tab that time, and the wine was divine, but when I've been back, I've been very careful to specify exactly what we wanted.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I mentioned the lack of 'English' channels on the TV (thinking of BBC World and Sky News) and the preponderance of Arab channels such as Al-Jazeera. They pointed out that they had a lot of crew from Etihad and other airlines from the region.
They have Sky, CNN and Al Jazeera in English now. BBC too I think.

One negative thing about this hotel, the gym is quite poor and is really out of character with the rest of the hotel. My guess is that the owner spent the money on building this luxury property, but left it up to IHG to deal with the gym.

The rooftop pool is nice, but small. The sundeck is pretty nice though.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
They have Sky, CNN and Al Jazeera in English now. BBC too I think.
They did say they would get the engineer in to get Sky News. I got the impression that BBC World was not on the list, but that they took note of our request. As we only had one night there, and had other things to do, we weren't too bothered. CNN International (often the only CNN channel available outside North America) is not a serious option IMO.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OT, I know but I was a guest of a party apparently ripped off by The Butcher Shop. My hosts ordered (or thought they did) wine by type, e.g. Pinotage, and were served vintage wine at far higher prices. [I'm told this has happened to other parties,especially when a group.] After a heated discussion, the restaurant partially reduced the bill. Not my tab that time, and the wine was divine, but when I've been back, I've been very careful to specify exactly what we wanted.
I've always had the bottle brought to my table from their extensive wine shop in the back of the restaurant. But I can see how a group can get a bit out of hand and lose track of such things. With the amount of wealth in that part of the city, it does not surprise me that business is still brisk. And the prices are still less than half what we'd pay in any major NAmerican city...about 1/5th of what we'd pay in NYC or LA, not to mention London or similar Eurocity!
Old Mar 25, 2009, 7:04 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, ICH Plat RA, Hyatt Diamond, LAN Prem Silver
Definitely a great location - one of the few places in Joburg where you can walk for a few minutes.

Was very impressed by the bathrooms & found the rooms very comfortable. The hotel did seem to have problems with the televisons. Once it worked the selction of channels was very impressive especially for sports fans.

I did manage to pop into the proposed lounge on the top floor - assuming it wasn't the air crew lounge - and it is extremely impressive. Also enjoyed the bar on the top floor which has to be one of the cheapest hotel bars out there - $1.60 for a beer & only $3.30 for a cocktail.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by boar
I did manage to pop into the proposed lounge on the top floor - assuming it wasn't the air crew lounge - and it is extremely impressive. Also enjoyed the bar on the top floor which has to be one of the cheapest hotel bars out there - $1.60 for a beer & only $3.30 for a cocktail.
I passed by the room upstairs on the way to the gym and it is indeed very impressive. No way is it a crew lounge! Anyhow, I think it is for private functions.

As for Butchers Shop wine, we had a couple bottles of Rupert & Rothschild. ^

Also, for those who don't want to pay for breakfast here, there is an excellent bakery/deli just across the parking lot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.