Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Holiday Inn Express Munich Airport [MUC] (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2011, 9:42 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Holiday Inn Express Munich Airport [MUC] (Master Thread)

The advertised rate outside the property is EUR79, but my pre-booked rate was a little higher.

I planned to use the shuttle bus from Terminal 1 on arrival, at around 8pm from London. The shuttle is supposed to arrive at XX:15 and XX:45, however, after a 45 minute wait two phone calls it did appear. It's tiny - 8 seats only and by the time it got to Terminal 2, it was full and people were left behind, either to wait for the next shuttle or to get a cab. At EUR8 each way, this is pretty bad service.

On check-in there were several displaced LH passengers and the staff were keen to serve these before me, calling them to the front of the queue, without apology to the rest of us. When I finally checked in she insisted that I show my AAA card, which luckily I had packed. They also insisted on my date of birth 'for the Police' she claimed.

The tiny shuttle runs every 30 minutes back to the airport (XX:00 and XX:30) and I strongly suggest you book. It goes out full most of the time.

The rooms are typical HIX - small, with a shower only. Bed was comfortable, and as a Platinum Priority Club member I got free internet - saving EUR6. The rooms are under the flight path from MUC and the glazing does not fully block out all of the noise.

The buffet is good - and included in the price. Hard boiled eggs were the only hot item, but there were lots of cereals, break, cheese, ham and cakes.

Generally a poorly organised shuttle and staff who don't especially care about their patrons, at a location that is noisy. Not likely to return.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Thanks for the review. Hadn't expected much, but... At the moment I have booked this place for the SMD3 MUC Do awaiting word on any special rate at the Kempenski. E79 Best Flex rate is E20 cheaper than the Novotel, my other airport option. Otherwise I may head city centre and do the HI. Seems the S-bahn may be more reliable than the shuttle, and cheaper!
Old Aug 1, 2011, 4:14 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Thanks for the review. Hadn't expected much, but... At the moment I have booked this place for the SMD3 MUC Do awaiting word on any special rate at the Kempenski. E79 Best Flex rate is E20 cheaper than the Novotel, my other airport option. Otherwise I may head city centre and do the HI. Seems the S-bahn may be more reliable than the shuttle, and cheaper!
Hotel is decent, prebook your transfers the night before. Novotel requires a shuttle as well.
It's a typical HIX, I found staff to be very accomodating. It's a short taxi ride to Erding which has a nice downtown area.

Although I used to live right on the S8 (which is not that reliable), I have used this hotel a couple of times for early morning flights and encountered no problems at all. I would not stay at the Kempinski - except for location. Rooms are sub-par and usually overpriced (particularily the 32 sqm "junior suite"). However, you can fall into your room after a "supersonic" and several beer at Airbraeu...
Old Aug 3, 2011, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
Hotel is decent, prebook your transfers the night before. Novotel requires a shuttle as well.
It's a typical HIX, I found staff to be very accomodating. It's a short taxi ride to Erding which has a nice downtown area.

Although I used to live right on the S8 (which is not that reliable), I have used this hotel a couple of times for early morning flights and encountered no problems at all. I would not stay at the Kempinski - except for location. Rooms are sub-par and usually overpriced (particularily the 32 sqm "junior suite"). However, you can fall into your room after a "supersonic" and several beer at Airbraeu...
You've identified the reason I decided to cancel the HIX when I found a reasonably priced room at the Kempinski, giving me a chance to get to the Airbraeu!
Old Jan 6, 2014, 5:48 am

Programs: UA Million Miler,Hyatt-Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson, National-Exec.
MUC Airport stay

Originally Posted by Shareholder
You've identified the reason I decided to cancel the HIX when I found a reasonably priced room at the Kempinski, giving me a chance to get to the Airbraeu!
Would love to know what is a reasonable price at Kempinski? Can you walk from the termianal to it? I am getting at 71 euro rate at HIX and am leaning towards straying there but if I can paya little more and stay at the airport to make my 6 AM flight, I will do so.

Kindly advice.

Any one stayed at HIX lately and has shuttle situation improved?

Thanks
Old Jan 6, 2014, 5:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: ゴールデングローブ
Difficult question. I found recently a "reasonable price" at the Kepminski to be 130 EUR.

Yes, there is a shuttle bus from the HIX to the airport. AFAIK it is a 5 EUR cover charge per person (or per room?). There is also a public bus from the airport to the village.

An option might also be the Sheraton Munich Airport which is further down the street for similar rates as the HIX. The Sheraton comes with a steem bath, sauna and a pool.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 9:42 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Holiday Inn Express Munich Airport

We arrived via the shuttle bus which is shared between the nearby NH and Sheraton hotels. The Holiday Inn Express is the last to be dropped off but the good thing about that is it is the last to be picked up so you are straight to the airport after being picked up though it can get full. One thing about the shuttle that is annoying on the pickup is that any passengers without a ticket which is most people has to sign in and that takes up a lot of extra time. The hotel shuttle will be on time so do not delay in meeting it.

Up arrival at the hotel we were greeted by a very sweet front desk person and she explained everything we needed to know about the hotel as well as informed me of my Priority Club Platinum benefits which included a choice of amenity (snack, drink or points), Priority Club room assignment, free internet and free shuttle bus.

The room was definitely an express room in its size but it had everything you need and was very nicely decorated. The only issue we really had was that the TV's English channels (BBC etc) did not come in at all and it appeared that the TV was no programmed properly as the TV did not even have an information channel and there was a guide like you would have at your home so I mentioned it to the front desk but for a short stay it was not a problem really. I think the rooms are fine for a couple on a short overnight stay or single travelers for any length of stay but not sure how comfortable a family would be in these rooms.

We had dinner in the restaurant and even though we spent a good deal of time in Italy we had a pizza and a burger and all the food was very good and reasonably priced. The menu is not huge but has something for everyone I think and was of good quality and reasonable enough in price. I would say that if you want a more extensive selection or local options then you are best to eat at the airport before heading to the hotel. Breakfast was pretty basic as it had mostly cold meats/cheeses, breads and cereals. There was one hot item consisting of hard boiled eggs but I don't count that really. Breakfast is included in the price so you have to take that into account but you can rates at the Sheraton or NH that include full breakfast that in line with the Holiday Inn Express rate so in that regard I don't consider it that exceptional in value.

Not to sound like a snob but we typically do not stay at Holiday Inn Express locations and it is primarily because their is no restaurant or a sub-par restaurant. That is not the situation with this property and breakfast is "good enough" so when you combine that with the Platinum benefits it makes this a good choice for us and since we really like transiting the Munich airport more than other EU airports we will most likely see more and more of this property.

Last edited by FLYGVA; Mar 26, 2017 at 4:38 am
Old Apr 6, 2014, 9:46 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Just posted a review of this property in the group stay forum.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...h-airport.html
Old Apr 6, 2014, 11:21 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Originally Posted by mcgahat
Just posted a review of this property in the group stay forum.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...h-airport.html
Actually this post was in the subforum as well. I decided to clean it out and move it to the main forum

FLYGVA
co-moderator IHG Forum
Old Dec 3, 2014, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG plat ambassador
As it was only a few minutes from the airport and had what seemed to be a good rate of 75 Euros net, decided to stay there. Shuttle is free for Platinum members, who also get a free drink and snack from the bar. Staff was very welcoming and also made a reservation for the shuttle the next morning.

Rooms are very small, not really designed to be comfortable for more than 1 person. But hotel was very clean, seemed modern, had a good complimentary breakfast that started at 0400, and had surprisingly good dinner options for less than 10 Euros. I also liked that i could print our boarding passes for free in the lobby.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Any updates on this hotel at Munich airport? I am finding it a bit overpriced at EUR86 the night I need to be there in January, but there doesn't seem to be a lot else at Munich airport that is reasonable. For a flight which leaves at 07h30 I think it is better to stay at the airport rather than face a 45 minute trip out with S-Bahn in the early morning (some of the more central IHG properties are a lot cheaper though). Is the shuttle really 5 Euros per person per direction? That will add another 20 Euros onto the bill if it is the case.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, the price dropped to EUR71 during the Black Friday sale which I thought was very reasonable, so I made a booking. I think that's more than reasonable for this hotel. Any tips for getting out of having to shell out another EUR20 for the shuttle there and back for 2 persons?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:50 am

Shuttle is complimentary for Plat and Spire members.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well that counts me out then. This paying shuttle business is becoming more prevalent with hotels. At least with the HIX at FRA Airport, you pay the shuttle in one direction only. Is there just a chance, if we are two people, it will be cheaper if we take a taxi?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by Concerto
Well that counts me out then. This paying shuttle business is becoming more prevalent with hotels. At least with the HIX at FRA Airport, you pay the shuttle in one direction only. Is there just a chance, if we are two people, it will be cheaper if we take a taxi?
The hotel is a few miles away from the terminal. My best guess (but no more than that) would be around EUR 20 for a taxi each way, maybe just a little less. I'd say it depends on whether you're willing to pay for the convenience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.