Crowne Plaza Madrid Airport (Master Therad)

Reply

Old Aug 8, 17, 7:08 am
  #16  
IHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: PHX
Programs: DL PM (and falling fast!), AA EXP, IHG Spire, IC Amb
Posts: 3,697
I'm not sure what is the issue with people complaining about this hotel.

I needed one night in MAD at the airport and saw this hotel listed for 56 Euro so I booked it.

Walked outside of the Terminal after arriving from IBZ and it took literally 5 minutes for the shuttle to come without previously calling. It took another 7 minutes to get to the hotel itself.

Check-in was easy; as a Spire they upgraded us to their largest suite, which was quite nice with a very comfy bed and jacuzzi tub and awesome shower. They also said as a Spire Elite I could choose: Welcome Points, a drink cert, or Club Lounge access; we chose lounge access. It wasn't anything special but had sodas and some snacks.

Checkout was easy, and the 5am shuttle to the airport took 12 minutes. I'm not sure how so many people on this forum complain about it taking 20-30 minutes to get to the airport....

Overall, an excellent value and I would recommend this hotel to anyone needing a cheap IHG night near the airport in Madrid.
355F1 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 17, 8:47 am
  #17  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London
Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Posts: 11,563
Originally Posted by 355F1 View Post

Overall, an excellent value and I would recommend this hotel to anyone needing a cheap IHG night near the airport in Madrid.
I'm absolutely with you on this - its a great solution to overnighting at Madrid airport. I particularly like the rather weird "exposed" shower arrangement - or perhaps I've always been given the honeymoon suite

But I think the hotel disappoints those who book it thinking they'll get easy access to Madrid. And worth noting the transfers don't always work out as well as yours ...
IAN-UK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 18, 5:44 pm
  #18  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 663
Any recent stays? I saw someone mention they took the shuttle at 5am, but a previous post said 6am. So the shuttles are about 10 minutes to/from the airport? And runs every half hour so we don't need to call unless it's after hours? For the shuttle to civilization, is there a train or something there to take to the city center? There for a long layover so I'd like to use this as a base to explore the city.

I can't find the schedule on their site so I plan to email them.

Last edited by cruisingmickey; Mar 22, 18 at 5:50 pm
cruisingmickey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 18, 6:27 pm
  #19  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreux CH
Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Posts: 7,197
I actually managed to take a city bus all the way downtown to the underground bus station at Avenida America, where you can hop the metro or other city buses. It was totally doable, but the stop is a bit of a walk from the hotel along the highway and over a pedestrian footbridge to reach it. Coming back is a shade easier, but getting off at the right stop is tricky in the dark as it all looks the same out there (didn't defeat me, though). You should really go for a downtown hotel if you want to explore the city, plenty of cheap options.
Concerto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 18, 7:02 pm
  #20  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 663
Thanks @concreto ! Do you know what the bus was called? I can do that. How long was the walk? 15 min? I'm from NYC so walking is no issue. I get in around 10am and my flight the next day is at 8am (so need to get to the airport by 6am?) so hence why I'm considering the CP Madrid Airport. I'll probably cab it back or uber. Is there even uber. Gotta look that up.
cruisingmickey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 18, 5:55 pm
  #21  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreux CH
Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Posts: 7,197
You know, I can't remember exactly. The walk was about 10-12 minutes and a lot of buses ply that route. Best is to just look it up on googlemaps.
Concerto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 18, 9:20 am
  #22  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: JAPAN
Programs: AS MVP Gold, UA 1K 1MM, IC PLAT AMB, HH Diamond, AVIS Pres, Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 5,439
Looking at a stay next April. I understand they have a VIP Club Lounge, also understand it's nothing special. Access to the lounge only shows up when selecting King Bed Suite.
None of the other categories include it. We will only stay two nights before an extensive Europe trip. Would prefer spending time in a lounge than sitting in the room considering
the fact that the property is pretty isolated. Any experiences? How about Platinum upgrades?
Exleftseat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 18, 1:20 am
  #23  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: FRA
Programs: LH HON, IHG RA, random stuff at Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Hertz, Sixt
Posts: 490
Strong recommendation for a 2-night stay: Choose a property in the city (e.g., the IC is very nice plus good lounge, though slightly dated).

Would only stay at CP Airport for a short layover. Location is middle of nowhere, nothing to do there, but they offer a convenient airport shuttle.
The rooms are ok but feel rather dark, thus it's not a place to stay for long.

The lounge exists (at least a door with a sign), but I have never seen it open (last stay late 2017 and many before). They mights give you free breakfast instead. Would not expect a lot as Platinum though.
sultanbinaber is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 18, 4:59 am
  #24  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London
Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Posts: 11,563
Originally Posted by Exleftseat View Post
We will only stay two nights before an extensive Europe trip.
A two-night stay is a night too long. Or in your case, two nights too long. The place is nice enough but it's a classic between-flights hotel, or a hotel for people with business at the airport or around it.

Madrid is an exciting city with lots to do and see: it's also easy to reach from the airport by metro. And if you are burdened with bags, a taxi won't break the bank.
IAN-UK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 18, 8:39 am
  #25  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: JAPAN
Programs: AS MVP Gold, UA 1K 1MM, IC PLAT AMB, HH Diamond, AVIS Pres, Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 5,439
Originally Posted by sultanbinaber View Post
Strong recommendation for a 2-night stay: Choose a property in the city (e.g., the IC is very nice plus good lounge, though slightly dated).

Would only stay at CP Airport for a short layover. Location is middle of nowhere, nothing to do there, but they offer a convenient airport shuttle.
The rooms are ok but feel rather dark, thus it's not a place to stay for long.

The lounge exists (at least a door with a sign), but I have never seen it open (last stay late 2017 and many before). They mights give you free breakfast instead. Would not expect a lot as Platinum though.
Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
A two-night stay is a night too long. Or in your case, two nights too long. The place is nice enough but it's a classic between-flights hotel, or a hotel for people with business at the airport or around it.

Madrid is an exciting city with lots to do and see: it's also easy to reach from the airport by metro. And if you are burdened with bags, a taxi won't break the bank.
Well, that was quick, blunt and unanimous. And I am grateful for the advice. I went ahead and booked the IC instead. Access from the airport seems relatively easy. We did it once before.
Appreciate your insight.
Exleftseat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 18, 10:56 pm
  #26  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Miami Beach, Florida
Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
Posts: 4,268
I have stayed in this hotel and the Hilton, this is a total crap hotel. I would not spend a dime for this place! The Hilton is MUCH better in every way, as it is an architectural marvel. HHonor's Golds are given Lounge access, including a fantastic buffet breakfast in the large atrium restaurant. I would choose the Hilton anytime over this pathetic excuse for a "Crown Plaza": now if this was a Howard Johnson Plaza, then it's world class!
gkbiiii is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 18, 12:46 pm
  #27  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: HEL
Programs: anti-MaRiot SPG/IHG-P HH-D LeClub/CC-G, BA/A3-G DL/AY-P, Octopus
Posts: 4,873
Stayed here last month for two nights due to two consecutive day very early flights. The hotel gave me a decent upgrade and dinner at the restaurant was palateable. I found the rates had increased rather drastically compared to when I stayed there last a few years ago.
Regarding the shuttle transfer time - I suppose shuttle time depends which terminal you leave from. T4 was closer to 20 than to 7 minutes. I also suppose the airport might not get many 2 night stayers, as I had a rather unpleasant encounter with the shuttle bus driver, who assumed I was freeloading a ride back without a room
remymartin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 18, 2:05 pm
  #28  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: E
Programs: MSC (Miles Slut Club); Cunard- Diamond 300+; Princess- Elite 200+; Royal Caribbean- Diamond; QF LTG
Posts: 4,125
Originally Posted by gkbiiii View Post
I have stayed in this hotel and the Hilton, this is a total crap hotel. I would not spend a dime for this place! The Hilton is MUCH better in every way, as it is an architectural marvel. HHonor's Golds are given Lounge access, including a fantastic buffet breakfast in the large atrium restaurant. I would choose the Hilton anytime over this pathetic excuse for a "Crown Plaza": now if this was a Howard Johnson Plaza, then it's world class!
No offense but there is an issue of expectation management when you pay 180 for Hilton and 75 for Crowne Plaza.
chongcao is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 18, 2:08 pm
  #29  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: E
Programs: MSC (Miles Slut Club); Cunard- Diamond 300+; Princess- Elite 200+; Royal Caribbean- Diamond; QF LTG
Posts: 4,125
Originally Posted by remymartin View Post
Stayed here last month for two nights due to two consecutive day very early flights. The hotel gave me a decent upgrade and dinner at the restaurant was palateable. I found the rates had increased rather drastically compared to when I stayed there last a few years ago.
Regarding the shuttle transfer time - I suppose shuttle time depends which terminal you leave from. T4 was closer to 20 than to 7 minutes. I also suppose the airport might not get many 2 night stayers, as I had a rather unpleasant encounter with the shuttle bus driver, who assumed I was freeloading a ride back without a room
That is the typical Spanish attitude you encountered from the shuttle bus driver. They always assume the worst until prove not guilty. I think in the past the bus normally go to T1-2-3 first before T4.

And yes there are very few people would stay two nights or more. It would be insane. I have tried to stay there and go to city centre with either suburban train or the public bus. And I thought that was too much hassle so never tried again. If there is Uber option or even Lyft I may think again.

Also agree with you that the rate has been up a little compare with few years ago.
chongcao is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 19, 4:58 pm
  #30  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: EWR
Programs: AA, Delta, NWA,HHonors, Hyatt BF
Posts: 1,737
Booked the King Suite with lounge access.

After a brief discussion on the rate I booked, I was assured since I was not a Spire I would not have access to the lounge. Basic hobo treatment.
So... off to pull up the res. on my phone.
The front desk seemed "surprised" and did give me lounge access.

Then my room flooded from the shower. Part of it projects into the bed area, so I had no way of knowing until I walked into the bedroom and found about 10 minutes worth of shower water on the floor. Found out by slipping on it :/

45 minute wait on the 30 minute shuttle.

Intermittent wifi. Reconnect every 30 minutes.

Advice - don't cut it close with the shuttle, make sure your room is fully functional before you settle in and bring a copy of your reservation. Can't say I wouldn't stay there again but can say it would be on the bottom of my list, Marriott next door was far superior and not much more expensive. The room had potential to be awesome, sadly lack of upkeep made it pretty miserable instead.
redreeper is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread