Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 23, 2015, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jigri2003
Some info:

Prepaid meal plan rates as of Feb 2015 per post 1305: (breakfast price updated as of Jan 2020)

Breakfast: 4860 xpf (tax incl) per person per day
Half board (breakfast and a 3-courses dinner): 13 053 xpf (tax incl) per person per day
Full board (breakfast, a 2-courses lunch and a 3-courses dinner): 17 632 xpf (tax incl) per person per day.

Breakfast 50% discount: available only at check in time if it is taken for the entire stay. It does not apply for half board and full board. Post 1376

Guaranteed Upgrade Costs as of January 2015 per post 1293

Emerald to Sapphire: 15,000 XPF + 14% taxes per night
Emerald to Diamond: 25,000 XPF + 14% taxes per night
Emerald to Diamond Otemanu: 35,000 XPF + 14% taxes per night
Emerald to Diamond End of Pontoon: 45,000 XPF + 14% taxes per night

Full prepayment prior to arrival required

Direct Boat Transfers to/from Airport One-way: 7334 XPF (updated Dec 2019) (about 15 minutes). Resort will email you to arrange this ahead of time if desired.

Boat transfer from the Airport is not mandatory despite what any hotel emails might imply to the contrary. It's possible to take the free Air Tahiti shuttle to Vaitape (15 minutes), followed by a taxi to the IC Le Moana for 2000XPF (15 minutes), then the IC's shuttle between Le Moana and Thalasso for 3390 XPF per person one way (updated Dec 2019) (15 minutes). If all transfers go smoothly, the journey could be as short as an hour, or longer than two hours if you're unlucky.

Boat Times (as of Oct 2016, and current as of Jan 2020)

Leaving Le Moana:
7:45am
8:45am
11:45am*
12:45pm
1:45pm
4:30pm
5:30pm*
6:30pm
8:30pm
10:00pm

Leaving Thalasso:
8:15am
9:15am*
12:15pm
1:15pm
2:15pm*
5:00pm
6:00pm
7:00pm
9:30pm
10:30pm

* Boat times with a * can connect with the bus shuttle between IC Le Moana and Vaitape town, as shown below:

Bus Shuttles between IC Le Moana and Vaitape town:

Depart IC Le Moana:
9:45am
2:45pm

Depart Vaitape:
11:15am
5:00pm

The bus shuttle costs 1150 XPF RT/person.

Note: There is no ATM at the Thalasso. The closest ATMs are in Vaitape, the main town where the airport ferry stops. However, both IC Le Moana and Thalasso will give you a "cash advance" on your credit card for a fee of 5%. The transaction will post as a purchase.

XPF is also available at the airport in Pappeete from several ATMs.
POST 1795

Resort Email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

IC Thalasso Bora Bora Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2018, 7:20 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Originally Posted by DUflyer
Maybe I went to the wrong snorkelling places in Moorea and you to the wrong ones in Bora Bora.
In Moorea I was at the IC and the Hilton and both were not good when I was there, Bora Bora was incredible (of course not around the Thalasso).
Originally Posted by delder
There may also be some confusion as to what someone is considering as "there" when referring to "where" they snorkel. Meaning, someone may be talking about snorkeling (in general) is better around one island over another. While another may be giving an opinion on the quality of snorkeling right around the resort in question.

I will give you my thoughts....

In relation to snorkeling around the rooms at Thalasso, unless you really really love sand, no one could ever say the snorkeling is anything but marginal. Great visibility. But 100+ feet of sand looks just like 10 feet of sand...expanded. There are a few coral heads in the lagoon by the chapel and a couple fish around them, but nothing special. Not even worth getting wet in my opinion. But I have been snorkeling/diving for 35 years so I may be a little jaded.

Now take a day trip around the area with someone like Pure Snorkeling (cheap plug) and you will be amazed at how great the snorkeling is in Bora Bora. The diversity of sea life (large/small) and corals is amazing to see! Mantas, sharks, spotted eagle rays, eels, dolphins, turtles and thousands and thousands of fish. NEVER have I seen so much in one day. You almost get whip-lash trying to see it all. Some of the best snorkeling I have ever done in my life!

Moorea on the other hand had amazing snorkeling right of the beach in front of the IC hotel. Just head out toward shark-ray alley and you will be very impressed. Not as many fish or coral life as a day-trip in Bora Bora, but hands down MUCH better than around Thalasso. We also snorkeled right off our room on the 'back-side' of the resort, near the dolphin pens. Very nice! Lots of fish life and corals. Just be careful of boats coming to see the dolphins! One of the other perks staying at the IC Moorea is you see when shark-ray alley is less crowded. Several times a day the tour groups invade the area in mass. But there are many times (in between tour schedules) that the area is almost empty. You are just off the beach and can grab a kayak and be out there in minutes and have the place mostly to yourself.

As always, opinions vary and your results may too.....

We are going back this Summer. For those that had good/great snorkeling off either Bora Boa IC can you be specific as to where you were? We will be spending several days at each resort and would welcome any tips on how to improve on past experiences.

Thanks
Dave
My summary for snorkeling for those that find snorkeling important:

We went 2 weeks in January of:
2016: IC Moorea, Hilton Moorea, IC Thalasso, IC Moana
2017: Hilton Moorea, Sofitel Private Island, IC Moana
2018: IC Moorea, Hilton Moorea, Conrad Bora Bora

Snorkeling ranked in order:
  1. Hilton Moorea: You *have* to swim towards the ocean 50-100 yards to get the best snorkeling. The stuff under the bungalows is good, but it is fantastic for hundreds and hundreds of yards of snorkeling fields. Downside - only 5-7 deep through there. I like to dive down 10-30 feet at times for fun
  2. Conrad Bora Bora - shallow and deep water. Great structure they have developed. Lots of interesting variety.
  3. Sofitel Private Island: This is where people try to come and snorkel on tours and by kayak. Clarity is a bit less IMHO. But tons of fish that swarm around you. Shallow and deep (down to 20+ foot to swim around the corners and ridges and look under). Some interesting fish including Stone fish o.0
  4. Snorkeling private tours Bora Bora (as alluded to above)
  5. IC Moorea
Snorkeling not even worth it:
  1. IC Thalasso (Well, we did and saw an octopus and some basket starfish but still not much value)
  2. IC Le Moana (sand)

Last edited by Carl Christensen; Apr 10, 2018 at 7:40 am
Old Apr 10, 2018, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by delder
Now take a day trip around the area with someone like Pure Snorkeling (cheap plug) and you will be amazed at how great the snorkeling is in Bora Bora.
Re Pure Snorkeling, they took us to area near the airport, just past an private island where owner planted hundreds of coconut trees on the island...perhaps they are the only company that's allowed to go there???? Not a ton of fish like corral garden or the "aquarium" but super clear water about 10 ft deep. Great thing is that we were the only boat there, unlike all the other spots where there are a few boats...feels very tranquil. Boat anchors just on the edge of the lagoon, and you snorkel to the outside edge of the lagoon around a sand/rock outcropping .
Old Apr 11, 2018, 2:00 am

great to hear you have another awesome trip, Troopers!

can confirm snorkeling off Motu Piti Aau (where Thalasso, 4 Seasons, St Regis are located) is lacking. i mean, i dont know a whole lot abt marine biology, but i think corals take a while to develop so it's still many more years to go? anyway, the views of Mt Otemanu from MPA are impressive, but folks who go there and think they can see much while snorkeling are bound to be disappointed. Having said that, i was lucky enough to see eagle ray off the deck of my OWB on my first dip. but only one eagle ray, not a school of them.

Pure Snorkeling is a trip serious snorkelers should consider.they dont provide lunch to break things up etc so this is a trip that is purely boating here and there and jumping into the water to snorkel/deep dive. the first day i went out with them, there was a remnants of cyclone or something from Australia so the downpour/ waves are just insane. needless to say, the visibility was poor. we cut short our trip and PS offered to bring me out again on the next day for no extra charge when the weather was predicted to be a bit better. so i went (so lesson here is, always schedule your water sports activity asap/once you arrive and not leave it till the last day cos you never know with weather). and yes, i do believe they have the exclusive rights to bring customers to certain spots to snorkel. I believe i went to a diff spot from Troopers when on PS tour. they brought us to a place (cant remember where, i think it's probably SW or SE corner of the lagoon) where the coral are brilliant and multi-colored, and so many fishes, and we are the only boat out there. it is truly a stunning place. that's when they told us other boats are not allowed to come to this spot. the "downside" is that this area is probably abt 2-4 feet deep at most, so all of us have to be very careful not to kick corals.

i would also recommend Lagoon Service. this outfitter does a more tourist-oriented tour. they bring you to the coral garden off Sofitel Private Island, then to another shallow spot to play with sting rays, then to the lagoon/open ocean border to see sharks. they then bring you to a private motu and cater lunch. it was the best meal i ever had in FP. but then again i like the whole french/asian fusion cuisine - lots of coconut milk infused dishes, ahi tuna type of food, fish, chicken, local tropical fruits, etc.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by gnomey
great to hear you have another awesome trip, Troopers!
Thanks!

Pure Snorkeling is a trip serious snorkelers should consider.they dont provide lunch to break things up etc so this is a trip that is purely boating here and there and jumping into the water to snorkel/deep dive. the first day i went out with them, there was a remnants of cyclone or something from Australia so the downpour/ waves are just insane. needless to say, the visibility was poor. we cut short our trip and PS offered to bring me out again on the next day for no extra charge when the weather was predicted to be a bit better. so i went (so lesson here is, always schedule your water sports activity asap/once you arrive and not leave it till the last day cos you never know with weather). and yes, i do believe they have the exclusive rights to bring customers to certain spots to snorkel. I believe i went to a diff spot from Troopers when on PS tour. they brought us to a place (cant remember where, i think it's probably SW or SE corner of the lagoon) where the coral are brilliant and multi-colored, and so many fishes, and we are the only boat out there. it is truly a stunning place. that's when they told us other boats are not allowed to come to this spot. the "downside" is that this area is probably abt 2-4 feet deep at most, so all of us have to be very careful not to kick corals.
Concur. Also, Pure Snorkeling was very accommodating. There were 5 on our speedboat, myself and my two kids and a couple. The couple went on a snorkeling tour with a different company the prior day so our guide skipped coral garden as they had already been there...didn't bother us all. So, we went to the spot near the airport. We weren't suppose to go to the shark and sting ray spot (exclusive location for Lagoon Service?) but my boy really wanted to swim with sharks...so our guide pulled up to the spot and there were already two boats there. Guide said we weren't allow to jump in but talked/yelled to the other guide from the other boats, and then he said that my boy and girl could jump in for a few minutes. Sure enough, they jumped in and had a blast. PS also took us to a spot with eagle rays...saw a school of 30 or 40 eagle rays...they were pretty deep...it was tough but got a decent video. Lastly, I was chatting with the couple about Le Moana, Lucky House and the market as they arrived at Thalasso directly from Moorea. They were planning to head there that afternoon but were annoyed with the ferry costs...so they asked the guide if he could drop them off at Le Moana instead at Thalasso, and he did.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Carl Christensen
Snorkeling not even worth it:
  1. IC Thalasso (Well, we did and saw an octopus and some basket starfish but still not much value)
  2. IC Le Moana (sand)
Re Le Moana, I think it's a great for weak swimmers, folks that can't/dislike snorkel and kids. The water is shallow and there's a decent amount of fish, corral and sea urchin, particularly off the southern ponton. We saw lots of fish through the hole in the room. Water shoes are a must. The snorkeling was comparable to the lagoon at Thalasso near the chapel.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Troopers
Concur. Also, Pure Snorkeling was very accommodating. There were 5 on our speedboat, myself and my two kids and a couple. The couple went on a snorkeling tour with a different company the prior day so our guide skipped coral garden as they had already been there...didn't bother us all. So, we went to the spot near the airport. We weren't suppose to go to the shark and sting ray spot (exclusive location for Lagoon Service?) but my boy really wanted to swim with sharks...so our guide pulled up to the spot and there were already two boats there. Guide said we weren't allow to jump in but talked/yelled to the other guide from the other boats, and then he said that my boy and girl could jump in for a few minutes. Sure enough, they jumped in and had a blast. PS also took us to a spot with eagle rays...saw a school of 30 or 40 eagle rays...they were pretty deep...it was tough but got a decent video. Lastly, I was chatting with the couple about Le Moana, Lucky House and the market as they arrived at Thalasso directly from Moorea. They were planning to head there that afternoon but were annoyed with the ferry costs...so they asked the guide if he could drop them off at Le Moana instead at Thalasso, and he did.
Good to know! i guess they have reciprocal exclusive rights to selected spots to avoid competition, but will also do favors to each other from time to time. yes, the eagle ray spot (assuming the apprx same locale) is quite deep. need to deep dive if u want to get closer to them. same as the manta ray cleaning station area, which is even deeper (at least for the area we spotted them). def need to deep dive for at least 5-8 min or so if you want to film them properly
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:02 pm

If we leave in the morning to the mainland, and return at around 7PM or 8PM, I know we aren't paying for the boat ride to Moana, but do we pay for the boat ride back to Thalasso?
Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:58 pm

All transfers, in any direction, are about 25 usd pp after about 2PM.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by waygora
If we leave in the morning to the mainland, and return at around 7PM or 8PM, I know we aren't paying for the boat ride to Moana, but do we pay for the boat ride back to Thalasso?
Originally Posted by 336
All transfers, in any direction, are about 25 usd pp after about 2PM.
Just last week, I specifically asked the concierge and was explicitly told that the return trip is complementary IF the trip to Moana is taken before or on the 2:15pm ferry.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 10:36 pm

So cutoff is Indeed 14:15 precisely.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 10:37 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Troopers
Just last week, I specifically asked the concierge and was explicitly told that the return trip is complementary IF the trip to Moana is taken before or on the 2:15pm ferry.
To back this up, we were given "shuttle transfer timetable" print outs at check-in, confirming this as well.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: British, United,SW, Delta,Iberia,KLM, Qatar, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, Starwood, Radisson, Wyndham,
Tired to check rooms available with points for June, any help?
Old Apr 14, 2018, 10:41 pm

Remove please

Last edited by Traveler Dave; Apr 16, 2018 at 9:34 pm
Old Apr 15, 2018, 3:10 pm

Anyone want May 10 & 11? Sadly, it doesn't look like I can make it work...willing to coordinate with another FT member in the next day or so if you need them otherwise they're going back into the wild. PM...not looking for trades or money or anything like that...maybe some good karma. Hoping I can get there in the fall or early 2019, it just isn't going to work right now!
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: UA PP, 2 MM; IC;
Mods, I thought this thread was going to take a different course than being a place to find or score award nights and it was going to deal with hotel experiences or issues...????
Troopers and FlyingKansan like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.