What's the point of status.

Old Nov 1, 2010, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

What's the point of status.

Stayed at the Holiday Inn Fisherman's Wharf San Francisco and was informed that Platinum Members don't receive any benefits at all at this hotel.

No upgrades, no breakfast, nothing extra for having Platinum status.

I wasn't looking for anything extra because I didn't bring up the subject, I feel quite embarrassed asking for something like room ugrades, it was just that they made the point of no extras to Platinum members.

Had a standard room booked and was quite happy to stay in a standard room but wasn't happy with them telling me I don't get benefits for being Platinum member, as I didn't ask for any. Would have not bothered to post if they just said nothing.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Well Plats don't get free breakfasts or much else though upgrade to exec or best room category though not necessarily a suite based on availability at check in is stated in the T&Cs of the program. You get 50% bonus points. Did you get a room with a decent view? Some properties may offer certain other things to Plats but this is not part of the program.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Priority Club Platinum status is probably the most useless status out there ?
A-club might be a tad worse though ?
Anyway, they are both bottom of the barrel!
Old Nov 1, 2010, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No surprise because they are very easy to earn. Unlike other programs, it is earned via points which can be had via many promos.

IHG has its other elite status which is by invitation initially - the Royal Ambassador and Ambassador, and carry annual fee on top of qualifying stays.

Brekkie is never a benefit of PC's Plat. Room upgrade if available, late check out, are among the benefits and some hotels would throw in a bottle water, some candies or fruit plate as welcome gift but those are nice gesture by the hotels not part of the program benefits.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 7:36 pm

I just appreciate the express check-in and the "thanks for your loyalty".
Old Nov 1, 2010, 8:39 pm

Programs: United/CO, AAdvantage, Hilton Diamond , Delta Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott & PC Plat
I personally have ZERO stays this year and was offered 15,000 bonus points for charging $200 per month for Sept / Oct & November 2010. If these points post prior to end of 2010, I will be Platinum in 2011. Wasn't really trying for it, but will accept it and then go for the free 83,000 Crack the Case bonus points.

Does anyone know if these Crack the Case points which be awarded @ June / July will count towards 2011 Platinum status ?

Thanks
Old Nov 2, 2010, 9:34 am

Programs: IC Royal platinum Ambassador, LH Senator, Hyatt Platinum
Yeah, what you got in the San Francisco HI is what I usually get at non-IC hotels. Although, some hotels offer free parking, internet, etc. Occassionally I get a suite or club room but it is based on availability and it seems that it is available when you don't need it (ie just a nights sleep at a hotel).
Old Nov 2, 2010, 9:34 am

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
While I would describe the experience as uneven its not without its perks. I average an upgrade to a larger room/suite about 50% of the time overall - probably 2/3 of the time when staying at HIEx - far less at regular HIs as they usually have very little suite inventory.

That said I'll definitely admit PC Plat isn't comparable to HH Diamond or Marriott Plat. When you get down to it PC is about running the promos which creates a far better redemption value return that I see in the other programs. (with promos I'm seeing about 35% of my spend come back in point value)
Old Nov 2, 2010, 10:11 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
If you feel embarassed asking for an upgrade at check in, contact the front office or general manager in advance (phone, e-mail, fax)...

I'm upgraded at most properties, often to a suite. In fact, I'm more often upgraded at HI and HIX than Marriott or Hilton. Just find a way to ask that is comfortable for you and make sure you choose properties with upgrades you actually want.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 10:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, PC RA, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ryry2003
Stayed at the Holiday Inn Fisherman's Wharf San Francisco and was informed that Platinum Members don't receive any benefits at all at this hotel.

No upgrades, no breakfast, nothing extra for having Platinum status.

I wasn't looking for anything extra because I didn't bring up the subject, I feel quite embarrassed asking for something like room ugrades, it was just that they made the point of no extras to Platinum members.

Had a standard room booked and was quite happy to stay in a standard room but wasn't happy with them telling me I don't get benefits for being Platinum member, as I didn't ask for any. Would have not bothered to post if they just said nothing.
Was this on an award stay?
Old Nov 3, 2010, 1:00 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, BA EC Silver, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Rambuster
Priority Club Platinum status is probably the most useless status out there ?
A-club might be a tad worse though ?
Anyway, they are both bottom of the barrel!
I agree - although the points are much more generous with PC. I don't worry about the supposed benefits, just the free nights!

At least A-Club doesn't charge, unlike the last Accor scheme...
Old Nov 3, 2010, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
I have renewed Platinum status in 2010 with two or three cheap night IC stays in January 2010. There is nothing I can expect from a cheap status like this.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
1. 50% bonus
2. Upgrades
3. Club status

Today I got yet another wonderful suite upgrade at a CP. Also get club access. Can't be better. I am amazed at how many non elites there are in the PC program...
Old Nov 3, 2010, 2:15 pm
TYZ

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, National Exec
I seem to get upgraded most of the time regardless of the brand. Like others have said, the points redemption is much better than the other brands I have stayed with.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
If you do not ask for it, you will not get it. I informed the FD of my arrival and request upgrade if room is available, and so far I am very happy

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.