Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying Priority Club Points

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2010, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Buying Priority Club Points

Hey Guys,
I understand that it is possible to purchase 5000 points for $30 using the rewards cancellation.
Does anyone know if it is possible to accrue a sum of 200,000 points this way?
Or will you be limited to 40,000 points since that is the official buying points limit?

Thanks
Old Oct 6, 2010, 2:35 pm

Programs: IC: Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by lsed
Hey Guys,
I understand that it is possible to purchase 5000 points for $30 using the rewards cancellation.
Does anyone know if it is possible to accrue a sum of 200,000 points this way?
Or will you be limited to 40,000 points since that is the official buying points limit?

Thanks
I don't think there is any limit.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Originally Posted by sweets61250
I don't think there is any limit.
That's great to hear.

Has anyone changed that amount before using the $30 cancellation method.
I'm afraid that if I do this to book an extended stay they may cancel my account or something. Or worse still, cancel my booking at the last minute!

So I would like to know if it's common practice or not otherwise I don't think I would want to take the risk.

Thanks!
Old Oct 6, 2010, 6:13 pm

Programs: aeroplan, amex, priority club
how do u go about buying 5000 points for $30

just reading the above thread how do u go about buying 5000 points for $30 ?, like to do that myself
Old Oct 7, 2010, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Start with 5k, book a room using cash and points (eg 5k points and $30, instead of the usual 10k points) then cancel the room. You get all points back instead of getting a cash refund.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 6:00 am

Programs: ihg plat, hh gold, hertz 5*
this is probably obvious, but if you buy 5k points then you can only buy up to your current points in one go. if you buy 10k points per night then you can buy up to double your current points.
if you don't have many points, but want to buy a lot, buying 10k at a time will make it quicker.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by big_mac
this is probably obvious, but if you buy 5k points then you can only buy up to your current points in one go. if you buy 10k points per night then you can buy up to double your current points.
if you don't have many points, but want to buy a lot, buying 10k at a time will make it quicker.
How long does it take to get the refund back in points?

And would it be possible to use the refunded points again for more rooms and then cancel to get even more points back? If I roll twice I would be able to get the points that I need
Old Oct 7, 2010, 9:35 am

Programs: Royal Platinum Ambassador
You will get them back immediately you just have to log out and log in
Old Oct 7, 2010, 9:44 am

Programs: ihg plat, hh gold, hertz 5*
in that case, it doesn't really make much difference!
Old Oct 7, 2010, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Hey guys,
Thanks a lot for all the advice! This will help me out great for my holiday booking.

Cheers!
Old Oct 7, 2010, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

To radoak:

Make sure you check the cancellation policy of the hotel, and follow it so you do not lose out on your points.
Look for one that requires only 15K points a night, so you can triple your points per night.
I.E. Rooms that are 5K + $60 per night
Old Oct 8, 2010, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by lsed
To radoak:

Make sure you check the cancellation policy of the hotel, and follow it so you do not lose out on your points.
Look for one that requires only 15K points a night, so you can triple your points per night.
I.E. Rooms that are 5K + $60 per night
wot do u mean triple points

so if you booked it at 5K + $60 per night then cancelled how much points would u get back exactly and do they count towards status?
Old Oct 8, 2010, 8:15 pm

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by marko4ever29
so if you booked it at 5K + $60 per night then cancelled how much points would u get back exactly and do they count towards status?
You get 15k points back (the cost of the room you have booked). They don't count for status.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 12:48 am

Programs: UA GS // SPG Plat // Hyatt Diamond
i feel really late on this buying method! is it still valid?

nevermind, i see the other threads.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, IHG RA, Hyatt Diamond, Amex Plat, SPG Gold
As always, exercise careful discretion and do not abuse this by making multiple reservations each day and canceling as a pattern may cause IHG to 'review' your account. While there have been no reports of IHG cancelling accounts and loss of points, you don't want to be the first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.