Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crowne Plaza Jerusalem (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2017, 5:35 am

Programs: Some, not all.
Any recent experiences here? The last review seems to be from Dec 2014 and was mostly positive https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24049584-post376.html

I'm wondering what I might expect as a Spire Ambassador on a points stay.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by 21H21J
Any recent experiences here?
Stayed one night as Spire Ambassador this past weekend.

Really wasn't there very long to check out the facilities as we arrived in the evening and left in the morning, but a few points.

1. Booked a standard room which was upgraded to a two room suite which seemed to have been done prior to our arrival (although the IHG app still showed standard even after check in)

2. I was given lounge access (although I did have to ask)

3. Suite on the 18th floor in serious need of renovation, and despite being on the 18th floor it was fairly noisy throughout the night, mostly with trucks reversing as there are road and building works going on throughout the night. I imagine asking for a room facing the other side would possibly solve that issue.
On the plus side nice nice views.

4. I popped into the lounge in the morning just to check it out (kids couldn't enter as entry is from 18 years old - seems to be the norm in Israel). It's ok but really nothing special. many tables laid out like a dining room throughout. I imagine they arrange it that way just for breakfast time, and the rest of the day it's a more laid back atmosphere.

5. paid for breakfast in the main dining room which was a very reasonable addition, and the spread was excellent including an omelette stand (they'll make you poached eggs too as well as pancakes etc)

Having just come from the Waldorf Astoria which is a stunning hotel I guess the CP didn't stand much of a chance, but to be honest, for the $100 rate we paid that night ($150 after adding breakfast) for the 4 of us, value was excellent.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 2:24 am

Programs: Some, not all.
I'm here now and am not impressed at all. Highlights include:

Rooms are stifling hot as the AC is switched off throughout the hotel. "It's winter" was the explanation given by the front desk, and a shoulder shrug was the answer of what to do about the hot rooms.
The upkeep of the rooms is woeful. It appears they've repainted in an attempt to freshen up, but there's paint splashes on the carpet, desk, lamp shades, wood trim and TV. The furnishings are battered and scuffed. The room needs a serious vacuum and dusting.
No status recognition when we checked in or to my pre-stay email. I did ask at the front desk about this and was given lounge access and have also had the 600 welcome points post, although I would have preferred the drink option.

On the plus side the views are pretty amazing.

At 20k points it's priced for what you get. Although had I been able to book the Waldorf Astoria at 95k I would have done so, but for our dates they only had 'premium rooms' at 295k per night.

Last edited by 21H21J; Dec 25, 2017 at 2:31 am
Old Dec 25, 2017, 6:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 21H21J
I'm here now and am not impressed at all. Highlights include:

Rooms are stifling hot as the AC is switched off throughout the hotel. "It's winter" was the explanation given by the front desk, and a shoulder shrug was the answer of what to do about the hot rooms.
I found this to be the case at most hotels in Jerusalem (and Europe to boot) they have a single system so its either heat or AC. with what Ive read about the rain and cold weather wise lately, I would be very happy to have the heat going full blast. Most buildings arent insulated like in the US so when its cold out and you touch the walls you will feel the cold.. I havent stayed at the CP but the hotels I frequent I can shut off or lower the temp, cant you do teh same at the CP?
Old Feb 2, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Stayed here last week, as I have over many years. You are paying for the location of the hotel, Jerusalem, one of the priciest places around. Rooms are indeed small, but compare to the IC in downtown Toronto for example.
I was frankly amused when I was offered Lounge access or 600 points. Lounge is open 24/7 for coffee, soda, etc. Decent local white and red wines. Complete breakfast was not bad, and they were willing to make eggs for me as requested.
Rooms are probably lasted renovated in the 1980s, warm, but the door to the balcony was could open if it got too hot.

While a bit worn, it is still a very well respected location, with major Israeli and international conferences taking place there. I like the staff ,and some have been there for many many years.
Not the best CP in Israel by a long shot, but I would still rank this ahead of the CP on the beach in Tel Aviv. The Azrieli Center location continues to be a favorite of mine due to it's incredible transportation location.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 7:05 am

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
My experience was similar to the above. This is a very dated hotel, and somewhat of a dump. Service is gruff even by Israeli standards. They have a gold-mine; good location, popular city, very few alternatives, so it seems like the "invisible hand" of competition has not been at work here.
Location is quite good -- you can walk to the train station. But beware the sabbath. The last train back from Jerusalem on Friday is around 2 pm -- well before sunset, and at that point you can only take a taxi (gouging you) back.
Sabbath also means the kitchen is closed. They have a few pre-made sandwiches at the bar. Open dining options outside of the hotel are similarly in short supply.
It also means the elevator controls are off ... they go on "automatic" mode where they basically go from floor to floor, open for 30 seconds, then close. If staying over Friday-Saturday, strongly suggest a low floor; otherwise it can take a half hour to get down to the lobby, and back up.
And it means the lounge (meh) is closed as well.
Jerusalem itself is pretty much closed for sabbath, as well. Don't go over sabbath.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 2:34 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Does anyone have more recent experience at this hotel, have booking on points for 8 nights but trip advisor comments are fire and I have option to switch hotels
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:33 am

Sad

Wow. I hesitate to call anyplace a “dump.” But this place seems to be trying to fit the bill. From reception (under construction and marked “concierge”) where a young woman left me waiting 10-15 minutes while 2 back office people came and went and offered NO help...to the construction which seems to be everywhere. The makeshift bar is in a meeting room. I was too scared to check out the restaurant. This hotel seems to cater to tour groups, based on the large contingent of Chinese tourists.

Don’t bother asking for an AC plug adapter — they make you buy one in the gift shop — the cheap plastic plugs no doubt worth a couple of dollars —for 40 NIS (—$12)! The rooms are verging on shabby (and I was “upgraded” as a Spire Ambassador). From the outside, this hotel looks terribly uninviting — take the hint. However, the staff overall is very pleasant — I was thanked for my loyalty several times. I guess they’re banking on IHG points to make up for all that is lacking at this property.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I'm looking at using points to stay at this hotel next year: they claim their room rates are US$600, but a point redemption is only 20K. Seems like a steal, even if the hotel isn't particularly good. True? For a tourist, the location is decent?

I don't see a lot of other good ways to use hotel points in Jerusalem. Is that also true?

Finally, I'm planning on landing at TLV around sunset on a Saturday night. I've never been to Israel, but I've heard that the Sabbath can be a "problem" with Israeli travel. But as long as it's after sunset on Saturday, everything is good, right? And the elevators in this high rise hotel will work that night?
Old Nov 28, 2019, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by iahphx
So I'm looking at using points to stay at this hotel next year: they claim their room rates are US$600, but a point redemption is only 20K. Seems like a steal, even if the hotel isn't particularly good. True? For a tourist, the location is decent?

I don't see a lot of other good ways to use hotel points in Jerusalem. Is that also true?

Finally, I'm planning on landing at TLV around sunset on a Saturday night. I've never been to Israel, but I've heard that the Sabbath can be a "problem" with Israeli travel. But as long as it's after sunset on Saturday, everything is good, right? And the elevators in this high rise hotel will work that night?
The location is crap, but the money savings make the points use worth it, as Jerusalem is generally quite expensive. The good news is that if you are ambulatory, you'll get buns and calves of steel if you walk any distances to/from the hotel. There's a light rail stop nearby as well as a inter-city bus terminal. Plan on a fair amount of taxi use.

(We were just speaking of our stay at this property of several years ago at dinner last night. But for the points usage and price of hotels generally, we'd not have stayed there, and wouldn't again.)

People are out on Saturday night. All the elevators should be re-set. (The worst you typically end up with in a major hotel is one Shabbat elevator that stops and opens/closes on every floor, during Shabbat.)

Last edited by Eastbay1K; Nov 28, 2019 at 9:32 am
Old Nov 29, 2019, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, Eastbay for the advice. I really don't want to drop a lot of money on accommodations in Israel (I've heard it doesn't have much of a service culture), so it's hard to pass up a stay-on-points bargain as long as the location is plausible.I can tell that there aren't that many chain hotels in the country and -- other than the IHG group -- the point rates are pricey. Hilton and Marriott's prices seem stratospheric. So it seems like I'm stuck with IHG. Same in Tel Aviv.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Just to mention the hotel has recently gone through a total renovation, and while I haven't' yet stayed there myself since, I understand it to be much improved, including the executive lounge.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: BAEC, Flying Club, HHonors, Gold Passport, IHG Rewards, Le Club Accor, Club Carlson
Had anyone stayed here recently? I ask as I am going to Isreal in April but the reviews on TA are putting me off. If anyone could confirm if the hotel has been renovated and what the treatment is like for Spire Ambassador's it would be greatly appriciated.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; BA GGL; Virgin Gold; United Silver; Hilton Dia; IHG Spire; Marriott Tit; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TheWiseOne
Had anyone stayed here recently? I ask as I am going to Isreal in April but the reviews on TA are putting me off. If anyone could confirm if the hotel has been renovated and what the treatment is like for Spire Ambassador's it would be greatly appriciated.
Had a recent points stay at the hotel - as a Spire was automatically given lounge access and there was a bottle of wine, fruit platter and waters already waiting in the room - no upgraded room was mentioned at check in. The room was on third floor and was of reasonable size although only had a shower in a tiny bathroom. The internet connection was intermittent at best in the room, but there was some basic air conditioning for the room, although most of the setting were variations of either very hot or very cold.
I found the lounge to be of surprisingly good quality in comparison to previous comments - very helpful staff and a good variety of food for both breakfast and dinner (both the salmon and white fish choice were very nice).
Overall, found the hotel to be acceptable value for money / points with the Lounge access included - would be very marginal without it.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: BAEC, Flying Club, HHonors, Gold Passport, IHG Rewards, Le Club Accor, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by mookie10
Had a recent points stay at the hotel - as a Spire was automatically given lounge access and there was a bottle of wine, fruit platter and waters already waiting in the room - no upgraded room was mentioned at check in. The room was on third floor and was of reasonable size although only had a shower in a tiny bathroom. The internet connection was intermittent at best in the room, but there was some basic air conditioning for the room, although most of the setting were variations of either very hot or very cold.
I found the lounge to be of surprisingly good quality in comparison to previous comments - very helpful staff and a good variety of food for both breakfast and dinner (both the salmon and white fish choice were very nice).
Overall, found the hotel to be acceptable value for money / points with the Lounge access included - would be very marginal without it.
Thanks for the review. I think I will take the risk with it. The points value has got to be up there as one of the biggest bang for bucks. I am looking at around 0.8-1c per point for my dates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.