Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anywhere Challenge: Win up to 60,000 points over the next 8 weeks

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2010, 9:50 pm

Terms and Conditions : US and UK only ..
I need to again change my address to my business address in US.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 10:10 pm

Strange contest. It's clearly Aruba, but it's a collage of different parts of the island (I was just there three weeks ago!) How can you pinpoint a specific location in this case?

My first guess was Arikok National Park, since I believe it's the only national park on the island. But then the posts in the water at Druif Beach and Haystack Mountain showed up in the later clues.

I'm guessing, despite the instructions of the contest, the answer is "Aruba, Netherlands Antilles".
Old Sep 8, 2010, 10:17 pm

Programs: IHG RA, DL Dia, Hertz 5Star
Arikok National Park, Aruba

If as the rules imply that they want a specific geographic feature or park, it is pretty clear based on the Day
3 clue that it is indeed Arikok National Park, Aruba. I Googled "lava quartz diorite limestone" and the first result was a Wikipedia description of Arikok National Park, Aruba.

1000 points and I'm excited.

Damn. I truly have become a points slut.

Last edited by land31411; Sep 8, 2010 at 10:23 pm
Old Sep 8, 2010, 10:30 pm

I know that it says that, but the other features depicted are several miles away from Arikok National Park on an island that's not much more than several miles across.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by grlmopz
Strange contest. It's clearly Aruba, but it's a collage of different parts of the island (I was just there three weeks ago!) How can you pinpoint a specific location in this case?

My first guess was Arikok National Park, since I believe it's the only national park on the island. But then the posts in the water at Druif Beach and Haystack Mountain showed up in the later clues.

I'm guessing, despite the instructions of the contest, the answer is "Aruba, Netherlands Antilles".
Aruba is not a part of Netherlands Antilles.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 11:07 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Originally Posted by redreeper
Eagle Beach, Aruba? Is the cloud movement a clue?
My guess is Arbua as well, but no mountains/valleys. But the rocks there look the same, and the cactus as well:
Old Sep 9, 2010, 2:05 am

Originally Posted by soitgoes
Aruba is not a part of Netherlands Antilles.
but geographically it's part of the Leeward Antilles

the Netherlands Antilles will be history in a month:

The Netherlands Antilles will cease to exist as a country within the Kingdom of the Netherlands on October 10, 2010.

In a meeting on Curaçao on Wednesday, the Dutch-Caribbean islands of Bonaire, St Eustatius and Saba agreed to become Dutch municipalities.

On the same date, 10-10-10, Curaçao and the Dutch half of St Maarten will become independent countries within the Kingdom, on an equal footing with the Netherlands proper and with Aruba, which gained its "status aparte" in 1986.

http://scottnolansmith.wordpress.com...to-be-no-more/

Last edited by Hannibal Lecter; Sep 9, 2010 at 3:27 am
Old Sep 9, 2010, 2:23 am

Anyone else feel like they learnt far too much about volcanic rocks this morning?
Old Sep 9, 2010, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
reality check this is PriorityClub: NOT National Geographic. They have difficulty placing their hotels with precision on the maps the supply
Old Sep 9, 2010, 4:31 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by deannaC
Terms and Conditions : US and UK only ..
I need to again change my address to my business address in US.
I dont understand why they always keep residents of Asia out.. wht do they want to project or prove to these folks ??
Old Sep 9, 2010, 4:51 am

Programs: AA EXPLAT, HH DIAMOND, IHG PLAT, RYANAIR NO OTHER OPTION FLYER
yes its aruba but what wording?

BIRDS Wikipedia: "Aruba is home to several species endemic to the island, including two unique species of snake and two bird species. Rock outcroppings also create micro-climatic conditions to support these unique plant and animal species, as well as settlements. These are located within the Arikok National Park almost exclusively. The two snake species are the cascabel (Crotalus durissus uni-color), and the santanero (Leptodeira bakeri), called the (Aruban) Baker's cat-eyed snake. The shoco (Athene cunicu-laria arubensis), known as the Aruban burrowing owl, and the prikichi (Aratinga pertinax arubensis), the Aruban parakeet."

MOUNTAINS Mount Jamanota (188 m) (620 ft) is the highest point on the island of Aruba and is visible from the entire island.

ROCKS There are three predominant rock formations to the (Arikok National) park itself: a limestone foundation, a quartz diorite formation and the Aruba lava formation.

Sponsored by the Aruba Tourist Association

Last edited by carbonaddict; Sep 9, 2010 at 4:53 am Reason: afterthought
Old Sep 9, 2010, 4:52 am
In Memoriam

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold
yikers
jus spent time googling the clues too
and you need to check back on Monday??
I miss the instant gratification of PC points games
Old Sep 9, 2010, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by carbonaddict
... yes its aruba but what wording?
Old Sep 9, 2010, 6:31 am

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
reality check this is PriorityClub: NOT National Geographic. They have difficulty placing their hotels with precision on the maps the supply
lol. Too true Ian
Old Sep 9, 2010, 6:38 am

Arikok National Park

Arikok National Park

Protecting one third of the island’s surface, Arikok National Park is a patchwork of rolling hills covered in cacti and bent divi trees, strange rock formations (lava, quartz diorite and limestone), caves and a stretch of coastline with beaches, dunes and rock platforms.

The arid landscape is home to a surprising variety of birds including the endemic shoko or Aruba burrowing owl and prikichi or parakeet, orioles and hummingbirds, snakes, lizards, iguanas, wild donkeys and goats.

Despite its inhospitable appearance, Arikok has been inhabited for thousands of years. Rock paintings in Fontein Cave and on huge boulders and the vestiges of ancient villages are testimony to the earliest Amerindian inhabitants. The park is also dotted with stone dwellings or cunucu which date from the Colonial period and housed the poorest settlers and their estate workers.

A network of trails traverses the park and guided tours are available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.