Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anywhere Challenge: Win up to 60,000 points over the next 8 weeks

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PL, SPG G, MR G, HH G, CC G, AMEX PL
Originally Posted by mrredskin
hell who knows... there are too many different national and state areas in this area to tell for certain
I think over the last two weeks (plus the initial "sample" answer) PCR made it quite clear that the trend here is "National Park". I guess we will know for fact after this week.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by beltway
I agree with those who warn against getting all hung up on Turnagain Arm as the locale for part of the photo. The folks running this contest are making liberal use of photos from various surrounding areas to create a collage, so the situs of a given stock photo does not pin down the answer.
I agree but I would also warn against getting hung up with the written clues as well. Week 1 clue 1 used the word 'mountains' to describe Aruba. I don't think a 600 foot hill constitutes a mountain range. Clue 2 talked of 2 'indigenous' species of birds when they clearly meant endemic species.

Right now the only location that contains Turnagain Arm and the Kenai River is Chugach National Forest but I am not sold on it being the final answer as yet.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:09 am

Programs: Delta Charter KM, DM180, RW, DM, SC, SkyBonus; HH Diamond, IHG Plt Amb, Global Ent, TWIC
Thoughts:

The photo of Turnagain Arm merely says that. We are not sure exactly where the photo was taken. Perhaps the tag is a few miles off.

Seward is at the opposite end of the peninsula.

You have the Resurrection River that flows out of the Harding Ice Field at Exit Glacier.

The Kenai, Susitna, and the Matanuska Rivers flow into Cook Inlet.

I am going with Kenai River, Chugach National Forest, Alaska as the Kenai starts there.

However, as much as this promotion is fun, I think they are being disingenuous in not being correct about their photos representing the actual answer with the first one, Aruba being a prime example.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PL, SPG G, MR G, HH G, CC G, AMEX PL
Originally Posted by blackhat_3_6
I agree but I would also warn against getting hung up with the written clues as well. Week 1 clue 1 used the word 'mountains' to describe Aruba. I don't think a 600 foot hill constitutes a mountain range. Clue 2 talked of 2 'indigenous' species of birds when they clearly meant endemic species.

Right now the only location that contains Turnagain Arm and the Kenai River is Chugach National Forest but I am not sold on it being the final answer as yet.
I'm just wondering, where does Kenai river come to play at all if the picture is clearly of Turnagain Arm?
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:10 am

hell who knows... there are too many different national and state areas in this area to tell for certain
I doubt you can read much into it, but for those who like this sort of arcana, note that a line of flying birds -- presumably geese -- appears when you expand the word-clue panel (by clicking on "view more"). As between a National Wildlife Refuge and a National Park, I don't think this tips one way or the other.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:13 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by foxberg
I think over the last two weeks (plus the initial "sample" answer) PCR made it quite clear that the trend here is "National Park". I guess we will know for fact after this week.
i think the location would be near an ICH group property and agree that a national area would be more fitting than strictly a river. being that these glaciers could "flow" almost 100 miles, and they're located at this kenai fjords national park, it seems logical. of course, so did several other places.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:15 am

Programs: AF Gold | LH SEN | Hertz #1 Gold | PCR Plat | IC RA
Originally Posted by saurabh737
I believe the answer for this one is Kenai River, AK, USA. I checked google and Wikipedia and Chugach State Park is not near Kenai river. Also, the clue says 'Flows for almost 100 miles'. A state park cannot 'flow'. Even though the first two weeks' correct answers were state parks but their description were referring to a location which is not the case with this clue.
+1

P
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:17 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by beltway
note that a line of flying birds -- presumably geese -- appears when you expand the word-clue panel (by clicking on "view more").
Thouse arn't birds, that's just a flash anti-aliasing / rendering issue.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by foxberg
I'm just wondering, where does Kenai river come to play at all if the picture is clearly of Turnagain Arm?
If you read back about 45 posts, you'll see that the left side of the river is taken from a photo of the Kenai River.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:19 am

Glacier Bay National Park, AK, USA is not the answer, as an example, surely.

I've already submitted an answer for today, but I never found the [insert whatever; glacier?] "that flows for almost 100 miles".
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by David-A
Thouse arn't birds, that's just a flash anti-aliasing / rendering issue.
Ah. That would explain why the "birds" in question aren't moving.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Kohoutek

I've already submitted an answer for today, but I never found the [insert whatever; glacier?] "that flows for almost 100 miles".
the Holgate?
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:28 am

Kenai River is ~82 miles long. I'm thinking that whatever it is that flows, the "correct" answer will contain all or part of the name of the flowing thing -- thus, Kenai NWR or Kenai Fjords NP. Since the contest creators seem to prefer the names of reserved/designated parkland areas over the name of geographical features per se, "Kenai River" seems to me an unlikely candidate for the points-winning answer.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:29 am

the Holgate?
Okay, okay. Did you find the clue in the description of Holgate Glacier?
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:33 am

Okay, okay. Did you find the clue in the description of Holgate Glacier?
no, that's what i've been looking for. it seems to be one of the more prominent attractions/draws to the area. of course, since it is the kenai fjord national park, they could be referencing the river as the ~100 mile portion of the clue and not really meaning that the answer is the river itself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.