Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anywhere Challenge: Win up to 60,000 points over the next 8 weeks

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2010, 9:56 am

Is there a glacier in Alaska that flows for almost 100 miles?
Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:00 am

Programs: SQ S, IHG Diamond/Amb, Accor S
There's the Chugach National Forest and there is the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge. Both are National Parks.

According to this website: http://www.alaskawildland.com/chugac...nal-forest.htm "The Kenai flows from the Chugach National Forest into the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge"

And then there's the Chugach State Park, which, as the name says, is not a National Park but a State Park.

So apparently the Kenai River flows through both National Parks....

To make it even more confusing, the whole river (82 miles in total) is within the Kenai River Special Management Area ( map )

Maybe we should really just focus on the river....

Last edited by DuMaInSin; Sep 21, 2010 at 10:07 am
Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PL, SPG G, MR G, HH G, CC G, AMEX PL
Originally Posted by Kohoutek
Is there a glacier in Alaska that flows for almost 100 miles?
Could be, but this is 100% Turnagain Arm on the picture.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by foxberg
Could be, but this is 100% Turnagain Arm on the picture.
Yep. I was trying to tie that in with an overall bigger picture, a particular (park?) area, that includes a glacier.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DuMaInSin
There's the Chugach National Forest and there is the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge. Both are National Parks.

According to this website: http://www.alaskawildland.com/chugac...nal-forest.htm "The Kenai flows from the Chugach National Forest into the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge"

And then there's the Chugach State Park, which, as the name says, is not a National Park but a State Park.

So apparently the Kenai River flows through both National Parks....

To make it even more confusing, the whole river (82 miles in total) is within the Kenai River Special Management Area ( map )

Maybe we should really just focus on the river....
Yes but is says that it flows ALMOST 100 miles not that it is 100 miles.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:10 am

Programs: ihg plat, hh gold, hertz 5*
Isn't turnagain arm something like 30 miles north of the Kenai River?

and it looks like turnagain arm is the southern boundary of the Chugach State Park
Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:11 am

There's a place nearby called Girdwood, a ski resort, which was originally called "Glacier City". There are tons of properties to spend PCR points at there.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:18 am

According to Alaska-in-Pictures.com: Girdwood lies at base of Chugach Mountains and Turnagain Arm.

So, we're closing in!
Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
And this is the reason why the background trees and cliffs look like a repeat. If you look at the picture in the above post submitted by jcjd you will see that the PCR photo is a repeat of a center piece. I can bet you tomorrow's picture will have a mountain in the back and trees along both sides, hence covering the repeat pattern. The question is only what's the name of the park or the area. One search provided this answer:
Turnagain Arm National Heritage Area, Alaska
As far as parks are concerned, I think the choice is between Chugach State Park and Kenai National Wildlife Refuge. Remember the first week's puzzle. That lighthouse was not in the Arikok park. The same may hold true for this week's answer.
Considering the clue, it seems Kenai River is the answer.
The problem is the part of the picture which is from Turnagain Arm, which is not on the Kenai River. However as we saw in week 1, some parts of the photo were not in the answer
Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:21 am

Alternate guess???

I've taken a slightly different approach and come up with a guess on the other side of the world. If you look closely at the bottom right of the picture on the muddy bank it looks like a crocodile slide (I may be looking at this too closely). Kakadu National Park, Australia is home to 3 rivers 2 of which are 160 KM (99.4miles), aptly named Alligator River (East & South). The rocky terrain is also very flat at many points it meets the river. I had looked at several images of the terrain with many being very close (please google for more images and feedback). Oh and there is no shortage of crocs!

EAST OR SOUTH ALLIGATOR RIVER, KAKADU NATIONAL PARK, AUSTRALIA (both 99km long)

If the logic behind my guess stands to be true the only question is it EAST or WEST?

http://maps.bonzle.com/c/a?a=pic&fn=9yvagwzu&s=3
Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by britbronco22
Considering the clue, it seems Kenai River is the answer.
The problem is the part of the picture which is from Turnagain Arm, which is not on the Kenai River. However as we saw in week 1, some parts of the photo were not in the answer
I think for today I will go with Kenai Fjords National Park. These past two weeks clues were more about proximity then an exact location.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:42 am

I think for today I will go with Kenai Fjords National Park. These past two weeks clues were more about proximity then an exact location.
Another possibility is the Harding Icefield, which "flows" in the form of the approximately 40 glaciers that descend from it. The icefield straddles the Kenai NWR and Kenai Fjords NP.

I agree with those who warn against getting all hung up on Turnagain Arm as the locale for part of the photo. The folks running this contest are making liberal use of photos from various surrounding areas to create a collage, so the situs of a given stock photo does not pin down the answer.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:44 am

Kenai Fjords National Park, Alaska, US

Gotta be, surely.

Last edited by Kohoutek; Sep 21, 2010 at 10:45 am Reason: Kenai Fjords National Park, Alaska, US
Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by mb63
I have noticed the last two locations were near hotels. Kenai Fjords National Park is near the location in the posted picture that someone found, as well as near Seward where the closest hotel is located.
Another newbie!

^
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:02 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by Kohoutek
Gotta be, surely.
hell who knows... there are too many different national and state areas in this area to tell for certain

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.