Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2024, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Tips on how to navigate to the hotel from Shinagawa Station (JR Shinkansen, Yamanote Line, Keikyu Airport Line to/from HND, other various lines that stop in Shinagawa).

The easiest way is via the second (main) level, one up from street level. Exiting the station, there are elevated sidewalks/skyways that leads into the elevator lobby of the hotel.
  • Keikyu Line platform seems to mainly exit to street level so make your way up to the second level at the earliest opportunity.
  • All other non-Shinkansen lines exit from the platform up stairs/escalators/elevators to the second floor; follow signs to the Central Exit outside of fare control
  • Shinkansen lines have their own exits from the second floor

From the second floor, follow signs to the Konan (East) Exit of the Shinagawa Station and exit there. Best to walk on the right side of the corridor. When exiting, the Dean + DeLuca cafe will be on your right, follow the flow of traffic to the right past the store and then take a left down the long walkway and you will see the sign for the hotel as you get closer on the right side. There's a small 7-11 on the left when you get to the hotel entrance. Walk down the corridor and turn left which will lead you to the elevator banks that service the 26th floor check in lobby.
Print Wikipost

The Strings by Intercontinental Tokyo Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2012, 1:55 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
My experience at the Strings is similar in nature: they are very stingy. I stayed there three nights, two paid, the last one on points, and they wanted me to move from my upgraded room or pay a ridiculous fee for the last night "because the night is on points and I was not entitled to an upgrade". They made a one-time exception when I told them that all other hotels I stayed in this was not an issue and that I would consider forcing me to move as bad service.

I know that formally they have the right to do so, but I consider it just stingy. To make it clear: we are not talking about a great upgrade, just the next higher category (corner room, which is just slightly bigger but still small) without club access (which would add cost to the hotel). I don't feel like going back, unless I can get a very very good rate.

Did any of the RAs who received the letter contact Ambassador service? Obviously these ICs, in an attempt to "align" themselves with the program, make up their own rules. Or did any of the RAs write back to the hotel and declare that these changes make it unattractive to stay in the hotel any longer (and are not "forced" by the program guidelines)?

HTB.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 7:39 am

Programs: AS 100K, AA Gold, IC Diamond AMB, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by htb
My experience at the Strings is similar in nature: they are very stingy. I stayed there three nights, two paid, the last one on points, and they wanted me to move from my upgraded room or pay a ridiculous fee for the last night "because the night is on points and I was not entitled to an upgrade". They made a one-time exception when I told them that all other hotels I stayed in this was not an issue and that I would consider forcing me to move as bad service.

I know that formally they have the right to do so, but I consider it just stingy. To make it clear: we are not talking about a great upgrade, just the next higher category (corner room, which is just slightly bigger but still small) without club access (which would add cost to the hotel). I don't feel like going back, unless I can get a very very good rate.

HTB.
My experience in Japan on points has always been that they follow the rules to a fault, and this isn't just an IC thing -- I've had the same experience at a Hyatt. So I don't necessarily fault the Strings on that one. That is more cultural, I think.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 10:14 am

Im considering booking a 1 night stay in a king deluxe club room on F&F rate as it's only about $100 more versus a deluxe room. However, Im confused as to what's included? Can anyone elaborate...I know it has free breakfast but unsure if I can raid the mini bar, get unlimted drinks in the bar, etc?

Also, my other consideration would be to stay at the ANA....My wife and I will be returning via shinkansen from Kyoto for our final night in Japan, and Im wondering if it is easier to stay the Strings because of convenience or worth trying to navigate ourselves and luggage to the ANA. Thoughts?
Old Aug 6, 2012, 10:40 am

Last time I stayed in a club-level room there, the "club" part included breakfast in the restaurant (which was quite good - omelets were terrific), alcoholic drinks and hors d'oeuvres at the bar for a couple of hours in the late afternoon, and soft drinks at the bar throughout the day. (There's no club, per se, at the hotel.) Not really sure it's worth it for an extra $100 (even for 2 people), but that's your call.

Especially coming from Kyoto for a final night, the Strings is a much more convenient choice than the ANA -- STrings has easy access to the Kyoto Shinkansen and rail service to both Narita and Haneda.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 11:45 am

Minibar is included in the club rate at The Strings.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:31 pm

I appreciate the feedback! I think I've decided that the Strings will just be easier because of train access vs. ANA IC- no subway, cabs, etc. Anyone having experience with upgrades for Ambassador's? Im thinking of joining for the $200 which would save me $80 bucks for the 2nd person in the room (so about $120 for ambassador) and then booking a King Club room at F&F rate and hope for an upgrade. Any thoughts?
Old Aug 12, 2012, 11:08 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Since Aug 2010, Hyatt Platinum
I definitely like The Strings hotel. Stayed there 5 nights, club room, King Deluxe corner room the beginning of November 2010. I'm going back in April 2013 and will stay there again. What I like is the train station is an easy walk to the hotel, it's covered all the way in case of bad weather and trying to struggle with luggage will be much nicer if the weather is bad. Very easy going to/from Narita on the Narita Express.

I like the stores, shops and restaurants nearby. Just pleasantly convenient for me as I have quite a few friends living in Tokyo and all of them say it's convenient for them to take trains to Shinagawa station. Last trip we did the Kyoto for a day via Shinkansen. Left on the 9am train to Kyoto, had a nice leisurely lunch, did some "must see" sightseeing and returned to dinner at a nice restaurant near the hotel by 8pm that evening. Next trip I will go to Kyoto longer as I really enjoyed it. But the round trip in a green car was very comfortable and a great way to travel.

The service was very friendly and helpful and anything I needed was brought to my room in just a few minutes. Loved the nice bottle of red wine and well stocked mini-bar. I enjoyed a few lunches in the restaurant and the Patissiere made an incredible chocolate dessert for me (I told them to surprise me). It was sprinkled nicely with gold flakes. Definitely will have that again on my return next Spring.

There are many nice hotels in Tokyo area, but I found this one to be just the right place for me, not too crowded, very new and clean, peaceful and I felt very comfortable there. It's not cheap to stay there, but when visiting Tokyo it shouldn't be a surprise. I've researched the Conrad, the RC, Grand Hyatt, Shangra La and several others. I'm choosing to go back to The Strings again and earning points for my stay is an added treat for future stays at other hotels during my future travels.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 11:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Plat, HHonors Gold, PC Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by htb

Did any of the RAs who received the letter contact Ambassador service? Obviously these ICs, in an attempt to "align" themselves with the program, make up their own rules. Or did any of the RAs write back to the hotel and declare that these changes make it unattractive to stay in the hotel any longer (and are not "forced" by the program guidelines)?

HTB.
This problem is 100% cultural. The Japanese do not believe in being entitled to anything you have not paid for.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:18 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by xianrocker
This problem is 100% cultural. The Japanese do not believe in being entitled to anything you have not paid for.
That may be. But Japanese are also known for going beyond and above what is necessary to satisfy customers, anticipating their every wish.

I had to deal a lot with Japanese customers, and most of our customers would have felt bad if they had been proposed something similar, just because they can according to the T&Cs.

HTB.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by htb
That may be. But Japanese are also known for going beyond and above what is necessary to satisfy customers, anticipating their every wish.

HTB.
if you know Japanese. You know they will do the things you mention above, within the limits of the rules written in their handbook.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 9:17 am

Was planning a stay in Tokyo during Xmas and noticed that this hotel has issued some new policy of not giving RAs proper benefits that we are entitled to.

Does anyone know if this is still the case? Or has ICH stepped in and rectified?

Thanks!
Old Dec 4, 2012, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by m3m3m3
Was planning a stay in Tokyo during Xmas and noticed that this hotel has issued some new policy of not giving RAs proper benefits that we are entitled to.

Does anyone know if this is still the case? Or has ICH stepped in and rectified?

Thanks!
This is in fact the NEW policy here as of summer 2012. No club access at the Strings or at the ANA Tokyo. If you want these benefits in Tokyo, your only choice currently is Tokyo Bay.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TheBeerHunter
This is in fact the NEW policy here as of summer 2012. No club access at the Strings or at the ANA Tokyo. If you want these benefits in Tokyo, your only choice currently is Tokyo Bay.
ANA gives better UG's now (suites instead of just club). Tokyo Bay though has the best benefits, UG's and club. Plus they give you bottle of wine.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:53 pm

Programs: DL GM and so on
Originally Posted by mnredfox
ANA gives better UG's now (suites instead of just club).
Does it mean RAs are still getting club rooms at the Strings? Or is it a variation of "a club room without lounge access"?
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by mnredfox
ANA gives better UG's now (suites instead of just club). Tokyo Bay though has the best benefits, UG's and club. Plus they give you bottle of wine.
At The Strings I got a bottle of wine, too, in October this year. Anyway, currently the IC Tokyo Bay has the best benefits in my opinion, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.