Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which hotel at Niagra Falls ?

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2010, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, PC Plat, HH Diamond, National Exec Elite
Which hotel at Niagra Falls ?

I am taking the wife and kids to Niagra Falls for a short weekend trip. I am having trouble locating any info on the area hotels here on the site. Has anyone stayed in the area recently? If so, how do they treat Plat IHG status?
Old May 18, 2010, 9:42 am

Are you staying on the Canadian side or the American side?

The Canadian side is much nicer and with much more to do, but I think you may all have to have passports now.

On the Canadian Side, we stayed last fall at the Crowne Plaza Niagara Falls Fallsview last fall and it was a nicely restored 90+ year old, hotel. Service was good & the top-floor fallsview restaurant was decent, although pricey (even with the $40 coupon they gave us at check-in). Rooms were kind of small, but for the age of the hotel it was to be expected.

One comment though, on the Canadian side, ALL the hotel chains have kind of a reputation for nickel and diming you to death by offering great teaser rates and then charging a fortune in all kinds of undisclosed fees & taxes. You can't really do much about it, that's just how they do business, so just make sure you ask ahead of time before you do anything (even just eating in the restaurant in that hotel has a fee, and a special government tax, because it has a falls view). Travelzoo.ca always lists a lot of the package deals on the Canadian side of the falls if you're looking to compare. Some of them can be booked through the PC website as well for the points.

I can't really comment on the US hotels, as the Canadian side has so much more to do that we just always stay there.
Old May 18, 2010, 10:39 am
Community Director Emerita

There's helpful information in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...ls-choice.html
Old May 18, 2010, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Grand Island and Buffalo are both really close to the Falls, so you might consider those hotels as well, especially if you are just doing kid-friendly things
(seeing the Falls, riding the Maid of the Mist, etc.) For example, the Staybridge Suites on Sheridan Drive (just outside of Buffalo) is only about 40 minutes from the Falls. (Just check for any highway construction projects before committing to a Buffalo hotel.)

OTOH, if you want to gamble and do other adult things at the Falls, you'll probably want to stay on the Canadian side. At night time, the US side of the Falls is pretty deserted.... while the Canadian side is lit up like Times Square!

Also, if your kids are really young, consider checking out the Kazoo museum in Eden, NY.

Last edited by RatherBeOnATrain; May 18, 2010 at 4:51 pm Reason: to mention the kazoo museum!
Old May 18, 2010, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, PC Plat, HH Diamond, National Exec Elite
Thanks for the link to the other post. I'll show it to the wife and let her decide where we are staying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.