Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Strange new message on my PC folder upon checking at Mason City, IA HI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strange new message on my PC folder upon checking at Mason City, IA HI

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2010, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAL- 1k, Marriot Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Plat.Hilton Gold VIP
Question Strange new message on my PC folder upon checking at Mason City, IA HI

Upon checking in today there was a sticker on my PC folder that holds the keys and such. It reads:
" In light of the economical & technological changes and to support our focus on "green" initiatives we will no longer deliver USA Today papers to guest rooms unless requested."
Has anybody else seen this in other properties? I am confused in what they are trying to say. Either they are helping the environment or they are trying to save money. Either way I should be getting a cheaper room or a plaque for saving the earth.

At some point others will wise up and ask what the true intentions are. I am a simple person and having a paper is one of the simple things I happen to appreciate, just like clean linens and towels. I just hate having to ask each time or leave something in the water closet or on my bed to make sure it happens.:-:
Old May 17, 2010, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by leatherheadiowa
" In light of the economical & technological changes and to support our focus on "green" initiatives we will no longer deliver USA Today papers to guest rooms unless requested."
The phrase "no longer deliver..to guest rooms" sounds like they'll still have papers available, you just won't find one outside your door.

I personally prefer that the papers be left downstairs at a counter. I'd rather check my preferred newspaper(s) online instead of be given a hard copy of a newspaper that I don't normally bother to read.
Old May 17, 2010, 10:53 pm

Programs: IC RA, KrisFlyer, Evergreen
The hotel is trying to say that "We are going to cut costs by buying less copies of USA Today. Since we won't have enough for everyone, we will just leave them downstairs and give them out upon request on a first-come-first-served basis."
Old May 18, 2010, 2:35 am

It says unless requested.... so if you want one delivered to your room request it simples
Old May 18, 2010, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAL- 1k, Marriot Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Plat.Hilton Gold VIP
I did request a copy of USA Today, last night. It never showed up. Upon check out I learned the sticker was misprinted. They don't have enough copies to do individual requests. The complimentary papers are in the restaurant for breakfast customers.
Due to the poor food quality I left, and bought a paper. I guess economic times are terrible, so terrible that a $109 hotel room doesn't have any budget for a newspaper. Time to find a Marriott!
Old May 18, 2010, 9:35 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I recently read an article saying that [I]USAToday[/I has been losing a lot of money due to not enough people buying papers and having to sell to hotels at pennies on the dollar. I guess this won't be helping matters much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.