FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   Chance of canceling Adv Purchase (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1083834-chance-canceling-adv-purchase.html)

mhadian May 10, 2010 6:59 pm

Chance of canceling Adv Purchase

Hi All,

Got bit dilemma here, I've book my hotel for my next holiday in July for Tokyo and Osaka. Both place using adv purchase rate.

The problem is, i've been denied a visa to enter Japan for stupid reason (they said I don't have enough savings to stay in japan for 14 days, yet i shown them i have $2500 in my deposit and i keep adding it every week) and I can't apply again in next 6 months. I'm indonesian who live in Australia, that's why i still need visa to enter Japan.

So yea, what is the chance to cancel my reservation and get the money back?

I know the rules are rules :(

Anyone had similar experience with this?

Thanks

karenkay May 10, 2010 7:22 pm

odds are, you're stuck. you can try calling the hotel directly and they might take pity on you, but you're probably not going get them to agree to cancel.

sorry i don't have better news. this is why i stopped booking pre-paid rates also. :(

Shareholder May 10, 2010 7:24 pm

Let this be a lesson. If you must ensure having a room somewhere book it first as a flex, then closer to the date and when you are 100 percent certain rebook as an advance purchase.

mhadian May 10, 2010 8:45 pm

well... lets this be my lesson, i'm 100% certain i will get the visa again, since i had japan visa previously (been visiting japan 3x) and it's all in my passport 3 visas.. but now they decide to decline my application.

I've paid quite good sum of money here, i'm going to give them a call if I can change the date

NWAMileageSlave May 10, 2010 8:48 pm

try calling the property directly, and explain what happened. After being refused a refund by the call center, I got a HIX in Amarillo, Texas to refund a pre-purchased room when my truck broke down in Little Rock by explaining that my truck broke down. Maybe they had mercy on me. Maybe the clerk that answered the phone didn't know that he wasn't supposed to refund the money, but he did.

mister__big May 11, 2010 2:05 am

Originally Posted by Shareholder (Post 13934926)
Let this be a lesson. If you must ensure having a room somewhere book it first as a flex, then closer to the date and when you are 100 percent certain rebook as an advance purchase.

That's a pretty good idea actually. ^

Noelene May 11, 2010 2:23 am

Originally Posted by mhadian (Post 13934795)
Hi All,

Got bit dilemma here, I've book my hotel for my next holiday in July for Tokyo and Osaka. Both place using adv purchase rate.

The problem is, i've been denied a visa to enter Japan for stupid reason (they said I don't have enough savings to stay in japan for 14 days, yet i shown them i have $2500 in my deposit and i keep adding it every week) and I can't apply again in next 6 months. I'm indonesian who live in Australia, that's why i still need visa to enter Japan.

So yea, what is the chance to cancel my reservation and get the money back?

I know the rules are rules :(

Anyone had similar experience with this?

Thanks

Sorry to hear that :( 14 day stay in Japan is quite a chunk of change, hopefully contacting the hotel directly might help, change the dates, as a 1 time exception or something. Do you have any status?
Travel insurance not cover it?
And thats a great tip about flexible bookings, its what I do as well.

Chinatrvl May 11, 2010 2:30 am

Give them a call.

I had no problem changing dates on adv purchase or F&F rate bookings so far - as long as they get their money, it was fine.

Raffles May 11, 2010 3:53 am

Changing date = usually not a problem

Getting a refund = problem

Dryst May 12, 2010 2:30 am

Changing your date is pretty easy. Unless you're trying to move to a major event or holiday (Golden Week is out of the question there), you should have no trouble whatsoever. Six months isn't out of the question by any means.

As for canceling, it's not going to happen. Unless you can convince the GM that it actually results in a profit to return your money, you're out of luck. That is one area where every single level of support will deny you directly and without mercy.

bhatt1989 May 13, 2010 1:59 am

Generally at our Holiday Inn, we will refund (if charged) for legitimate reason. Call the hotel directly, and ask to talk to a manager!

gleff May 13, 2010 5:33 am

It's been several years but I did once make a non-refundable online reservation, ring up and have them upgrade it to best flex, and then cancel :D

WiseFlyer May 14, 2010 6:35 pm

I've gotten a refund on advance purchase at a couple of US IHG hotels -- most recently in Cooperstown and Toledo. I called the front desk manager and very politely explained that our plans had changed but we'd be coming back that way sooner or later. Neither had to grant the request, but both did with no problem.

Somehow, I doubt it'll be that easy in Japan....

chee4869 May 14, 2010 8:43 pm

i had the same problem. i booked superior holiday inn east taipei advance purchase thru agoda and then 2 days later found in ihg website a junior suite w/bfast that is lower price. what should i do?:confused:

karenkay May 15, 2010 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by chee4869 (Post 13960567)
i had the same problem. i booked superior holiday inn east taipei advance purchase thru agoda and then 2 days later found in ihg website a junior suite w/bfast that is lower price. what should i do?:confused:

not sure what agoda is...is that a third party booking engine? you're probably stuck w/the rate. i once booked a prepay through the priority club website and subsequently found a cheaper deal also on the website; i called/emailed the hotel directly and they graciously changed the booking to accomodate me. ymmv, of course...and it does help to be a platinum.