Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Complimentary newspaper at HI’s - as long as it’s The Independent

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2010, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Gold, IHG Rewards Club Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold, Tesco Clubcard

Last week I stayed at 3 different HI properties in the UK. As a PCR Platinum member, I’ve always enjoyed my choice of complimentary newspaper delivered to my room. However, in all 3 properties, my choice was a complimentary Independent newspaper, or paper of my choice and pay. I was informed in each hotel that this was a new policy which the hotel was rolling out.

Is this another benefit going under? Is it a little harsh, as non PCR members can also pick up a complimentary copy of the Independent from reception?

However, this isn’t a new ruling in all UK HI’s, as a work colleague stayed last week in another HI Property and as a Platinum PCR member was still able to get the newspaper of her choice delivered to her room free.

The only difference we could think of between hotels; the 3 I stayed in were franchised HI’s, whereas the one my colleague stayed in is IHG owned. Could we be going back to the situation last year whereby some IHG owned HI properties only provided the complimentary bottled water and chocy bar in exec rooms upon request?

Has anyone else experienced this in the last week?
Old Apr 5, 2010, 4:53 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
This has been practice for a while (>1 year) in a couple of UK HIs that I regularily (used to) stay at (all of them franchised). I doubt that this policy will change.
Ordered some other newspaper once (2008!) and was very astounded to see charges on the invoice - and never ordered any again.

Really unfortunate, but since I hardly read the newspaper in the morning anyway (and rather on the internet/ pressdisplay) I didn't really care about it that much.

At least it's the Independent, not the Daily Mirror
Old Apr 5, 2010, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Requested a Torygraph when asked what I'd like at check-in at the Ariel last night and found the buggers had charged me a quid for it today. No mention of this at all when 'ordering' it. It was only because I was in a hurry I didn't argue it
Old Apr 5, 2010, 7:01 am

Programs: Priority Club
I've been staying at a HIX Bath loads recently and the only thing they offer is the independent and that's on your way into breakfast.

However, stayed at CP Birmingham City Centre recently and received the daily outraged mail delivered to my door complimentary.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 7:16 am

at some places it's comlimentary only on weekdays, regardless I can pick up a newspaper from the reception myself - give me free internet instead!
Old Apr 5, 2010, 7:42 am

re. the free internet. One thing I did was buy an o2 PAYG mobile broadband dongle for £20.

As I have been plonked in HIX they all use o2 cloud wi-fi (I think a few CPs, costa coffees etc. use this as well).

The bonus is that connection to the cloud is free and unlimited if you have the dongle. I haven't topped up my account once so apart from the cost of the dongle I get free internet which would normally cost £5 p/hr?!

In fact, you don't even need the dongle plugged in either as the computer is registered to the account.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Get used to this. As costs rise and customers demand lower rates, hotels increasingly sign sole-source deals with suppliers. National newspapers offer significant price reductions to hotels that distribute theirs exclusively as the free guest benefit. In the US it will almost always be USAToday, though in up scale properties it could be The Wall Street Journal. In Canada, it is almost always The Globe & Mail, sometimes its competitor The National Post. Local newspapers seldom appear at the door, though sometimes are offered as the weekend replacement (even though a weekend paper is not an elite benefit). There are exceptions, but these are getting rarer at all but IC-brands.

The Independent is grasping for market share in the UK (wasn't it just sold for £1?!), so having a guaranteed base of several thousand hotel guests is a selling point to advertisers. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if ICH did a contra and gets free advertising (or a very good discount) in exchange for buying The Independent in bulk for most of its UK properties.

As I will now be traveling with my iPad, as long as I have free wifi, my in-room selection will be significantly greater each morning.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Barry Bethal
re. the free internet. One thing I did was buy an o2 PAYG mobile broadband dongle for £20.

As I have been plonked in HIX they all use o2 cloud wi-fi (I think a few CPs, costa coffees etc. use this as well).

The bonus is that connection to the cloud is free and unlimited if you have the dongle. I haven't topped up my account once so apart from the cost of the dongle I get free internet which would normally cost £5 p/hr?!

In fact, you don't even need the dongle plugged in either as the computer is registered to the account.
Last May I was traveling through Scotland, staying at HIXs, HIs and CPs. Ended up having to buy a small o2 cloud wifi assuming it would be universal across all ICH properties in the region. As it turned out, each hotel had a different wifi supplier! Wasted a few quid...suffice to say I was not happy about it. I hope your post is correct and there is now a standard supplier.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 9:47 am

The cloud is free at McDonalds, Wetherspoon and some others, but at Hix it cost to connect. Are you saying it wouldn't cost anything if I had an O2 dongle?

If I use Hotspot locator and search for example Hotels Manchester, only Hix Salfor Quays comes up.
http://broadband.o2.co.uk/mobile/whyo2.jsp
http://www.thecloud.net/about-us
Old Apr 5, 2010, 12:05 pm

I picked one up when I was staying in Bath a lot expecting to pay for the connection (i.e. £2 for 24hrs or £15 for 30 days etc.) but get to tap into the unlimited download and decent wi-fi connection as opposed to crappy 3G.

What I found was that once I set up the dongle etc. I never had to enter any credit card details whatsoever and whenever I'm at that hotel my computer connects automatically without me even having to open the o2 connection manager and I've been staying there every week since early December right up until last week.

I'm staying in a Swindon HIX during April so will report back this week as I presume theirs is a cloud connection also from what I've read on the cloud website.

On a different note, phoned up the hotel today just to double check that the gym they have advertised is free . . . turns out they don't have one - it's an error on the website?! It's only been on for weeks as that's when I spotted it!
Old Apr 5, 2010, 1:54 pm

Programs: It's better to have loved and lost than never have loved at all
I'm staying in a Swindon HIX during April so will report back this week as I presume theirs is a cloud connection also from what I've read on the cloud website.

On a different note, phoned up the hotel today just to double check that the gym they have advertised is free . . . turns out they don't have one - it's an error on the website?! It's only been on for weeks as that's when I spotted it!
I wouldn't expect too much from the hotel, there are two in Swindon, one plonked just off the hard shoulder of the M4 next to J16 and the VAG garages. The other is in the rougher end of town which can be rather noisy when the numerous bars push the punters out on to the street.

I suggest a good internet connection and a book or two are the best way to survive a few weeks in one of these HIX.

Back to the original topic, I've noticed for a while that the Inde is the paper of choice but I get away with The Times as it's always billed back to my company. If I'm travelling on my own money then I'll buy a paper from a local shop rather than pay an inflated cost as some places have tried to charge in the past.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 12:43 am

I picked one up when I was staying in Bath a lot expecting to pay for the connection (i.e. £2 for 24hrs or £15 for 30 days etc.) but get to tap into the unlimited download and decent wi-fi connection as opposed to crappy 3G.

What I found was that once I set up the dongle etc. I never had to enter any credit card details whatsoever and whenever I'm at that hotel my computer connects automatically without me even having to open the o2 connection manager and I've been staying there every week since early December right up until last week.

O2 T&C does actually suggest that it should be free

Unlimited Public Wi-Fi access included in all packages
Get unlimited access to 7,500 Wi-Fi hotspots through The Cloud & BT Openzone in places like McDonalds & Starbucks - that's on top of the data allowance in your chosen package.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Well, The Independent certainly knocks USA Today into a cocked hat.
Originally Posted by Shareholder
The Independent is grasping for market share in the UK ...
... like all newspapers.
... (wasn't it just sold for £1?!) ...
Not bad, eh? I buy a copy for £1. The Russians pay £1 and get the whole company. Of course, their price was £1 plus accumulated debts I should think. IIRC, the Russians bought the bulk of The Evening Standard on similar terms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.