FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   Holiday Inn Kandooma -- Maldives (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1068764-holiday-inn-kandooma-maldives.html)

LineOver May 23, 2011 3:40 pm

Jerry,

For a hotel transfer - if you're going from Male to the Holiday Inn at 10pm at night, I can tell you definitely yes. We arrived at 10:10pm on the Singapore flight and booked the transfer directly with the hotel via email. You just provide your name, hotel conf #, airline, flight number, arrival time and number of persons, and they will meet you just outside of immigration. They will take care of your luggage (straight from there to your room), transfer you to the island, and charge the transfer on your room charges. It's all rather seamless.

If you're going by local ferry - I have no idea.

I hope that helps.

LineOver May 23, 2011 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by GordonGordon (Post 15961220)
You are right, The BeerHunter! I saw people standing on corals and kicking them with their fins, and I got very frustrated about it. It does happen anywhere, even from the wealthy & well-educated tourist in Bora Bora or Seychelles!

Btw, does anyone know the major difference between beach view villa(BVV) (48sqm) and sea view beach house (SVBH) (71sqm, duplex) beside the sizes? BVV is semi-detached and SVBH is an individual unit with 2 storeys. It makes me feel that BVV is more spacious since it is a one level unit. Although SVBH is bigger, the open space downstairs takes up a lot of space. Thanks for any advice in advance.

We got upgraded from the garden view villa to the sea view beach house. There's a gigantic difference. First of all, the villas are 2 units per free standing building so you and your neighbour share a common side wall. The beach house is a free standing unit - you don't share anything with your neighbour. I saw the BVV and it seems smaller; however, you're correct the first level open space does account for quite a bit. Also, I felt that the SVBH, considering the layout, offered more privacy because it felt as though you had a backyard and the foliage provided some privacy. Plus - BVV are located amongst the trees where these 1-2 foot long fruit bats live (sleep during the day) - they're definitely not dangerous, but they're huge and every night they exodus to Guaraidhoo to feed on bananas then return before dawn.

We were 3 units away from the overwaters, and they don't offer any privacy whatsoever - they are layed out in shotgun style - I wouldn't want to stay in those.

By the way - if you're staying on points and want to upgrade to the overwater, it's $200 per night. Not worth it IMHO.

Sankaps Jun 9, 2011 12:14 pm

Are the Sea View Beach Houses all one one side of the island, or can the location vary? Are they all along the beach with direct access from the beach house? Any recommendations on what to ask for or avoid in terms of room allocations? Thanks!

travelkid Jun 9, 2011 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Sankaps (Post 16532342)
Are the Sea View Beach Houses all one one side of the island, or can the location vary? Are they all along the beach with direct access from the beach house? Any recommendations on what to ask for or avoid in terms of room allocations? Thanks!

Mail them and ask for a room/island map.

Locations vary yes.

laffertyb Jun 9, 2011 1:59 pm

Has anyone had experience upgrading to all inclusive staying on points? (price etc)

onlysuites Jul 12, 2011 4:25 am

Going here later this year on points. As a Platinum I read that I am not assured of a upgrade. I am quite keen on a sea view room duplex after reading the thread. If I don't get upgraded what would a paid upgrade be at check-in? Any experiences?

Or shall I book 1st night through cash in a duplex and the rest on points in the hope that they don't downgrade me.

Also I get in at 2230 so don't fancy a ferry ride. Can I still get a plane transfer?

edyu Jul 12, 2011 9:44 am

hi,i suggest you book the garden view house via points. Good deal better than the villa.
The late transfer is available at that time, the same cost 170net per person. They only give the paid room one level upgrade nothing for points.
Hope can help.

Edy

onlysuites Jul 13, 2011 12:22 am

Originally Posted by edyu (Post 16714290)
hi,i suggest you book the garden view house via points. Good deal better than the villa.
The late transfer is available at that time, the same cost 170net per person. They only give the paid room one level upgrade nothing for points.
Hope can help.

Edy

Is the transfer ok with a 3 year old kid? Heard it can be bumpy? Don't want him getting sea sick. Would a plane transfer work out a lot more?

edyu Jul 13, 2011 4:00 am

Only Speed boat I think 40 mins, I saw a lot of small kids on the island, so I think no big deal. Kind of bumpy for sure. But maybe they enjoy that who knows, I still remember my 1st ride on speed boat, very cool memory for kid.

onlysuites Jul 13, 2011 5:27 am

Originally Posted by edyu (Post 16718854)
Only Speed boat I think 40 mins, I saw a lot of small kids on the island, so I think no big deal. Kind of bumpy for sure. But maybe they enjoy that who knows, I still remember my 1st ride on speed boat, very cool memory for kid.

Thank you ^

globalste Oct 2, 2011 10:18 am

Originally Posted by laffertyb (Post 16532985)
Has anyone had experience upgrading to all inclusive staying on points? (price etc)

I am staying here with Mrs Globalste in December over Xmas and asked the very same thing, I also asked about upgrades as a platinum.

I basically got the following response, plus a load of standard waffle and I think she forgot to put anything about the all-inclusive so I will write back again and ask. Hope this helps some people:

Dear Globalste,

Thank you for getting back to us. We were trying to reach you earlier to provide you all necessary information ( it is booked on points through my account with all my email etc in it). The room category which is available on PCR for club reward points will be Garden View Beach House only and we would be able to upgrade on extra cost only.

Due to the island nature of the resort we may require your arrival flight details for us to coordinate the speedboat transfers from airport to the resort (i included these in the email). Speedboats ferry you across the turquoise waters from Malé International Airport to our contemporary resort hotel in just 40 minutes.

Regrettably, we do not provide a complimentary Airport Transfer Service, however we are happy to advise and recommend our schedule run transfer as per flight details. You may want to have Private transfers that can be arranged as well and available upon request subject to availability. This service provides a convenient pick-up and drop off service directly to the resort.

Shared Transfers:
Boat transfers from Airport to resort and/or Resort to Airport will be at US$183.00nett per Adult, child under 12 years will be charged at US$US$113.00nett. (Inclusive of 10% Service Charge and 3.5% GST Tax)

Private Transfers:
Private Speedboat Transfers (max 4 Guests) USD 446.00 ++, per boat per way (Subject to 10% Service Charge and 3.5% GST Tax)
Private Speedboat Transfers (max 8 Guests) USD 796.00 ++, per boat per way (Subject to 10% Service Charge and 3.5% GST Tax)

Airport Directions
Holiday Inn Resort Kandooma airport representative will be waiting for you at the exit outside the arrival hall with Holiday Inn Resort Kandooma signage. If you have any inconvenience locating our Kandooma staff, please contact Reservations at +960 664-0511

Bed Tax
Priority Club will pay Bed Tax for the member who is entitled for redemption only. Extra persons travelling with the member will be charged at a rate of US$8.00 Bed Tax per person per night.

In addition to rooms reservation we are pleased to inform you that on the 31st Dec, we will have a Gala Dinner. Please refer to the following Festive Season compulsory meal rates for your kind information:

Year 2011
Adult Price
Christmas Eve & Day Dinner 24 & 25 Dec 2011 US$ 107net/Adults
New Years Gala Dinner 31 Dec 2011 US$ 155net/Child

Child Price
Christmas Eve & Day Dinner 24 & 25 Dec 2011 US$ 85net/Adults
New Years Gala Dinner 31 Dec 2010 US$ 115net/pax/Child

Meal Charges for Meals:-
Meal Charges/ Restaurant
Adults
Breakfast
US$20.75nett
Buffet Lunch at Kandooma Cafe
US$33.00nett
Buffet Dinner at Kandooma Cafe
US$45.00nett
*Meal rates for children under 12 years free of charge, and children above 12 years charged at adult meal rate.

We hope you find the above information helpful. We are looking forward to welcoming you as our guests to Holiday Inn Resort Kandooma. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any further queries or arrangement to make your stay a memorable one.
I take it that an upgrade on points is a real bonus, or are these guys really tight-fisted? I thought it was part of being a platinum/gold, it has usually happened on my previous stays...

jochen_vdk Nov 8, 2011 4:44 am

I am going to Kandooma in December.

Is it worth to visit Male city? Is the hotel arranging any boat transfers to Male?

Any comments on the spa? Is it good? Expensive? I have not found many information on their website, so I would appreciate if someone could share some experiences!

travelkid Nov 8, 2011 5:35 am

Originally Posted by jochen_vdk (Post 17411438)
I am going to Kandooma in December.

Is it worth to visit Male city? Is the hotel arranging any boat transfers to Male?

Definately do Male, easiest either on arrival or departure, as there is a quick ferry from the airport.

Better than a more expensive trip from the hotel.

globalste Nov 11, 2011 10:14 am

Full-board and All-inclusive Prices

I finally wrenched out the following information from the hotel after about 5 emails:

We calculate the All Inclusive package as (FB+ All Inclusive Supplements )= All Inclusive package per night per person.

For example.
Full Board is US$ 101.00++ subject to 10% service charge + 3.5% GST tax
All Inclusive package is US$ 40.00++ subject to 10% service charge + 3.5% GST tax

Total All Inclusive Package Cost = FB + All inclusive Supplements = 101+40 = 141.00++ subject to 10% service charge + 3.5% GST tax per night per person.
sorry I cannot seem to get FT to put the below into a table despite me writing in a table format :(

Basically any drinks you want and meals in any restaurant for $90, or $45 for a slightly more restrictive drinks list and eating at the Cafe or 20% off any other restaurant.

Pertaining to your email for the meal plan, we do also serve all inclusive package where the cost is US$ 45.00++ subject to taxes for STANDARD ALL INCLUSIVE and US$ 90.00++ subject to taxes for PREMIUM ALL INCLUSIVE PACKAGE which is ON TOP OF FULL BOARD supplements.

Kindly See the below details for both the All Inclusive package and do let us know if you would like to proceed with the same during your stay with us.

Standard all inclusive Premium all inclusive
soft drinks soft drinks
coke, sprite, diet coke, fanta orange all type from beverage list

chilled juice chilled juice
orange, apple all type from beverage list

featured draft beer featured draft beer

featured spirits featured spirits
vodka, gin, rum, whisky, brandy house pour selections

featured wines featured wines
white & red House pour selections

featured cocktails featured cocktails
mojito all cocktail from beverage list
(rum, lime, mint leaves, brown sugar, soda)
cosmopolitan
(vodka, tipple sec, lime juice, cranberry juice)
caipirinha
(rum, lime, brown sugar)
caiproska
(vodka, lime, brown sugar)
pina colada
(rum, pineapple juice, coconut cream, sugar syrup)
bnb
(brandy,cranberry,lime juice)
crantini
(vodka,cranberry juice,lime juice)
blue lagoon
(vodka, blue curacao, lime juice)
tom collins
(gin, lime juice, sugar syrup, soda)

Please kindly take note that standard all inclusive will be having their meal at Kandooma Café only (Breakfast, lunch and dinner) and 20% discount will be given if dining at The Kitchen.
Premium all inclusive entitle to dine at all restaurant for their lunch and dinner with selected menu items.
Beverages will be serving from 11am – 12 mn at all restaurant and bars.
Both the packages are not entitle for Take Out services (Room Service) and minibar.

So the really wacky thing is, full-board is no cheaper than paying for meals individually!

kitbag1984 Nov 11, 2011 2:34 pm

I will be visiting HI Maldives on Wednesday and have fully read this thread.

Does anyone have any more advice at all?