FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   Holiday Inn Kandooma -- Maldives (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1068764-holiday-inn-kandooma-maldives.html)

AX9465 Jan 27, 2011 4:30 am

Originally Posted by travelkid (Post 15677243)
You will have the minibar fridge, not big, but you can empty it for your own use. No microwave, but no shops either to buy food. You could bring something maybe. Basic utensils, but you could for sure borrow from the hotel.

if I will empty minibar fridge and there are no shops what I am going to put into there?

Also, I prefer to stock my own wines as you can never be sure what will be available at the resort. However alcohol can not be imported into Maldives... Can it be bought locally?

AX

travelkid Jan 27, 2011 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by AX9465 (Post 15744975)
if I will empty minibar fridge and there are no shops what I am going to put into there?

Also, I prefer to stock my own wines as you can never be sure what will be available at the resort. However alcohol can not be imported into Maldives... Can it be bought locally?

AX

You cant buy wine locally. Only at the resorts.

You can fill the fridge with all kind of foods from shopping in Male. Go there on arrival day before picked up by the resort, or do a day trip one of the first days.

YorkieFlyer Feb 6, 2011 2:38 pm

The Beach and transfers to the airport

I've booked the Holiday Inn Kandooma for US$60 per night and 5000 points, a bargain as everyone seems to agree. I have a couple of quick questions Mrs Yorkieflyer has read a couple of reviews that says the beach isn't to good, anyone have comment?
Also we may book the emirates flight in from CMB but this does arrive at MLE till 2230, will we need a night in Male or do transfers run 24/7

cheers all

aldemar Feb 6, 2011 2:57 pm

Transfer

There is a cheap public ferry service from Male to Guraidhoo (neighbouring island of Kandooma).

Has anybody taken this ferry already?
How much is transfer from Guraidhoo to Kandooma?
Is it true that one can walk from Guraidhoo to Kandooma at low tide?

kshastry Feb 7, 2011 1:08 am

It is true that ferry to Guraidhoo costs only $2.5 from Male. It is also true that both Guraidhoo and Kandooma very next to each other.. almost joined by a low-tide sand bank.

However, I am sure Kandooma will not let you in either thru walk/swim/boat across from Guraidhoo.

They want you to pay them up $157 (inclusive of 10% service charge + 3.5% GST) per person from Male on a speed boat. Period.

BTW, the proper entrance to Kandooma (arrival jetty) is bit far to walk or swim from Guraidhoo. If you try to sneak in, you may end up surprizing few sun bathers!

aldemar Feb 7, 2011 1:30 am

Last month I asked the hotel about a transfer from Maafushi. The reply was:

"Dear aldemar

Yes, we can arrange the transfers for you from Maafushi island as well . The charges will be US$ 45++( Subject to 10% service charge & 3.5% GST tax ) per person for one way .(Maafushi – kandooma)

One way - From kandooma to airport will be US$ 79.50nett( Inclusive of service charge & 3.5% GST tax ) per person

Roundtrip airport transfers will be at US$ 159.00 per person ( earlier it was US$ 154.00 per person as now 3.5% GST tax added from 1st Jan 2011 by Maldives government )

Kindly contact us if you need any further assistance .

Thank You"

BTW-Has anyone of you already stayed at the guest houses in Guraidhoo?

aldemar Feb 8, 2011 1:34 am

Transfer Guraidhoo to Kandooma

Just received an answer from the hotel that they can arrange a transfer from
Guraidhoo to Kandooma for USD 25++ per person oneway.
I guess it will cost just a few dollars if transfer is arranged locally by yourself.

A ferry schedule from Male to Guraidhoo vv. can be found here.
http://www.mtcc.com.mv/ferrySchedule...ATOLL(eng).pdf

There is another ferry as well but I do not know the company running it.
Dhoni ferry (every day ‐ except Friday)
Male (01:30 p.m.) to Guraidhoo (04:30 p.m.) ‐
Guraidhoo (06:30 a.m.) to Male (09:30 a.m.)
Source: http://www.lineupexplorers.com/surf/...oll/#Transfers to Guraidhoo

YorkieFlyer Feb 9, 2011 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer (Post 15814792)
I've booked the Holiday Inn Kandooma for US$60 per night and 5000 points, a bargain as everyone seems to agree. I have a couple of quick questions Mrs Yorkieflyer has read a couple of reviews that says the beach isn't to good, anyone have comment?
Also we may book the emirates flight in from CMB but this does arrive at MLE till 2230, will we need a night in Male or do transfers run 24/7

cheers all

still interested in the beach if anyone has pounded the sand. But re the mechanics of getting there the HI have emailed me back to say that an arrival at MLE before midnight is ok for a transfer, after that presumably the promised speedboat turns into a pumpkin..

idiotecq Feb 10, 2011 1:59 am

The beach issue

Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer (Post 15834979)
still interested in the beach if anyone has pounded the sand. But re the mechanics of getting there the HI have emailed me back to say that an arrival at MLE before midnight is ok for a transfer, after that presumably the promised speedboat turns into a pumpkin..

Well, it is Maldives so the beach is ok, but not crazy nice! The colour of the sand is nice and water is turqoise but the problem is that there are still small parts of the coral being thrown on the beach every day that make the beach not so comfortable to walk on. The sand is a bit rocky, far away from powder.

There are also small parts of coral in the lagoons, what is kind of annoying.

On my stay there I discovered that there is small spot of sand (around 100 sq. m) above the water level just opposite to the water sports center (about 300 meters from the island). I highly recommend taking hobie or canoe to get there and enjoy a little beach just for yourself.

All the rest is great so enjoy your stay and do not worry to much:)

YorkieFlyer Feb 10, 2011 3:44 am

Originally Posted by idiotecq (Post 15837254)
Well, it is Maldives so the beach is ok, but not crazy nice! The colour of the sand is nice and water is turqoise but the problem is that there are still small parts of the coral being thrown on the beach every day that make the beach not so comfortable to walk on. The sand is a bit rocky, far away from powder.

There are also small parts of coral in the lagoons, what is kind of annoying.

On my stay there I discovered that there is small spot of sand (around 100 sq. m) above the water level just opposite to the water sports center (about 300 meters from the island). I highly recommend taking hobie or canoe to get there and enjoy a little beach just for yourself.

All the rest is great so enjoy your stay and do not worry to much:)

Marvellous, thanks for the intelligence

LineOver Feb 14, 2011 11:23 am

Euro-Divers

I am staying at this resort for 12 days on points in March/April - can anyone quote on their experience(s) with the EuroDivers at this resort?

Thanks!

GordonGordon Feb 27, 2011 10:11 pm

free snorkeling trip

For those who had been there, I would like to know if HI take you to the house reef of the nearby island resort called "Biyadoo/Biyadhoo Island Resort". If not, do you remember where they usually took you to for snorkeling?

TheBeerHunter Feb 28, 2011 11:05 am

Originally Posted by GordonGordon (Post 15945046)
For those who had been there, I would like to know if HI take you to the house reef of the nearby island resort called "Biyadoo/Biyadhoo Island Resort". If not, do you remember where they usually took you to for snorkeling?

Just looked back at my journal on the trip -- and yes, we were taken over to Bindayoo (however you spell it!) for the free snorkel trip. Saw tons of fish and turtles. Unfortunately (as you might well expect) the trip is always pretty crowded and full of people who don't know how to swim/snorkel/treat wildlife, but I guess you can get that anywhere.

GordonGordon Mar 2, 2011 9:15 am

Originally Posted by TheBeerHunter (Post 15947844)
Just looked back at my journal on the trip -- and yes, we were taken over to Bindayoo (however you spell it!) for the free snorkel trip. Saw tons of fish and turtles. Unfortunately (as you might well expect) the trip is always pretty crowded and full of people who don't know how to swim/snorkel/treat wildlife, but I guess you can get that anywhere.

You are right, The BeerHunter! I saw people standing on corals and kicking them with their fins, and I got very frustrated about it. It does happen anywhere, even from the wealthy & well-educated tourist in Bora Bora or Seychelles!

Btw, does anyone know the major difference between beach view villa(BVV) (48sqm) and sea view beach house (SVBH) (71sqm, duplex) beside the sizes? BVV is semi-detached and SVBH is an individual unit with 2 storeys. It makes me feel that BVV is more spacious since it is a one level unit. Although SVBH is bigger, the open space downstairs takes up a lot of space. Thanks for any advice in advance.

gun_ner007 May 15, 2011 3:26 am

Originally Posted by aldemar (Post 15823814)
Just received an answer from the hotel that they can arrange a transfer from
Guraidhoo to Kandooma for USD 25++ per person oneway.
I guess it will cost just a few dollars if transfer is arranged locally by yourself.

A ferry schedule from Male to Guraidhoo vv. can be found here.
http://www.mtcc.com.mv/ferrySchedule...ATOLL(eng).pdf

There is another ferry as well but I do not know the company running it.
Dhoni ferry (every day ‐ except Friday)
Male (01:30 p.m.) to Guraidhoo (04:30 p.m.) ‐
Guraidhoo (06:30 a.m.) to Male (09:30 a.m.)
Source: http://www.lineupexplorers.com/surf/...oll/#Transfers to Guraidhoo

Dear Aldemar,

I will be going to Holiday Inn this coming June. Is it ok if i check some details from you? Did you managed to arrange launch to go to Kandooma from Guraidhoo? My flight reached Male at night around 10pm, Do you think there is still ferry service for me to go during that time?

would really appreciate if you could share this with me
Thank you so much
Jerry