Holiday Inn Kandooma -- Maldives

Old Nov 8, 10, 6:10 am
  #46  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kuwait
Programs: GF Black
Posts: 350
Originally Posted by iamthehpt View Post
I've paid fully without using any points, so they better have my points ready. And for that upgrade, isn't about the availability, not about the type of reservation?
My understanding under the Priority Club terms and conditions is that you MUST book via the Priority Club website OR directly with the hotel in order to get points and other PC benefits. Generally, you do NOT get points if booked through a third party site.
pardon me, but I have booked through booking.com, travel agents and by calling the hotels directly numerous times, and all of my points were accounted for. I don't where you got that info from, but it isn't in the members guide and rules.
lunardream is offline  
Old Nov 8, 10, 7:43 am
  #47  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: DFW
Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carl Gold, IHG Plat
Posts: 1,002
Originally Posted by lunardream View Post
pardon me, but I have booked through booking.com, travel agents and by calling the hotels directly numerous times, and all of my points were accounted for. I don't where you got that info from, but it isn't in the members guide and rules.
Actually, I DID get it from the priority club rules (but I was wrong about the travel agents).

From the terms and conditions"

Points are not issued for stays at the following reduced room rates (Non-Qualifying Room Rates; Non-Qualifying Stay): net wholesale individual and group rate, certain package rates, employee discount rate, friends and family rate, crew rate, special discounted contract rates, seasonal worker/crew rate, 50% travel club discount rate, travel industry discount rate, distressed passenger rate, Priority Club Reward Nights/Airline Hotel Reward rate, most rates booked through most third party web sites, complimentary hotel stays and any other rates not defined as a Qualifying Room Rate.

Also from the terms and conditions:

Points will be awarded for Qualifying Room Rates booked through IHG central reservation offices, IHG web sites, travel agents or directly at the hotel.

So I guess the issue is whether your booking company is a travel agent or a third party web site.
iamthehpt is offline  
Old Nov 8, 10, 7:48 am
  #48  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: DFW
Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carl Gold, IHG Plat
Posts: 1,002
Originally Posted by lunardream View Post
And for that upgrade, isn't about the availability, not about the type of reservation?
From the terms and conditions

4.Hotel Room Upgrades for Platinum Members: Platinum level members will be offered a complimentary upgrade, as determined by the hotel, which might include rooms on higher floors, corner rooms, newly renovated rooms, or rooms with preferred views. The upgrade will be offered at time of check-in, based on availability, and will only apply to the member's personal guest room. The hotel is not required to upgrade members to suites or specialty rooms. Upgrade benefit will not apply to rooms booked as a Reward Night reservation.

Looks like you might be out of luck on two fronts -- the hotel appears to be sold out for at least one night during your stay, so there may be no availability. Also, I would think that any room higher than your booked category (i.e., overwater villa) might be deemed a suite or specialty room.
iamthehpt is offline  
Old Nov 9, 10, 2:55 am
  #49  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: Royal Platinum Ambassador
Posts: 135
Originally Posted by BA038_Passenger View Post
How expensive is the food? Is the breakfast included on reward nights basis?
Breaksfast isn't included in reward nights and is 18 USD + 10 % Service Charge
Kathabene is offline  
Old Nov 9, 10, 7:47 am
  #50  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kuwait
Programs: GF Black
Posts: 350
iamthehpt

I rest my case.....Good job on that homework!!

well, I guess then...I have no case against them for barking about the upgrade :S
lunardream is offline  
Old Nov 9, 10, 10:13 am
  #51  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,956
this might be of interest for anyone planing to go to the Maldives

Maldives Tourism Goods and Services Tax from January 2011.

The tax will see a 3.5% levy on all goods and services sold to tourists, including accommodation, domestic transportation, diving and sports facilities
.


http://www.ttglive.com/c/portal/layo...elated=4381297
Hannibal Lecter is offline  
Old Nov 9, 10, 10:30 am
  #52  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: Royal Platinum Ambassador
Posts: 135
I also didn't have to pay the 8 USD per night
Kathabene is offline  
Old Nov 9, 10, 7:14 pm
  #53  
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
Posts: 1,879
Originally Posted by kshastry View Post
Did anybody took Male city tour? Is it worth doing?
I agree with Kathabene in regards to the Male city tour - it was pretty basic, only covering a couple of blocks near the jetty. I did notice some of the people on my tour stayed at the airport after the tour finished rather than head back to the resort (seems to work well with checkout time being midday and the tour commencing at 1pm).

Given that you usually need to pay for the airport transfer anyway it might be a cost effective way to see a bit of Male and not get slugged with the airport transfer costs on top of it as well if a tour runs on the day that you leave and you have an evening flight. Otherwise you could just take an earlier airport transfer and take a look around Male yourself if you're really interested - there's left luggage at the airport and the boats between the airport and Male run pretty much constantly.
GibSpmuh is offline  
Old Nov 9, 10, 7:27 pm
  #54  
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
Posts: 1,879
Originally Posted by BA038_Passenger View Post
How expensive is the food? Is the breakfast included on reward nights basis?
In regards to other food on top of breakfast, the buffet dinner at the Kandooma Cafe is US$38.00nett and the dining at the Poolside Cafe or for in-room dining varies between about US$12-$20 for mains. They had a nice promo that started in November while I was there of dessert and a mocktail for $9.50 as well (or $11.50 for dessert and a cocktail).

I didn't check the prices for The Kitchen, though would imagine it to be somewhat higher than these.
GibSpmuh is offline  
Old Nov 10, 10, 3:30 am
  #55  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: Royal Platinum Ambassador
Posts: 135
Originally Posted by GibSpmuh View Post
In regards to other food on top of breakfast, the buffet dinner at the Kandooma Cafe is US$38.00nett and the dining at the Poolside Cafe or for in-room dining varies between about US$12-$20 for mains. They had a nice promo that started in November while I was there of dessert and a mocktail for $9.50 as well (or $11.50 for dessert and a cocktail).

I didn't check the prices for The Kitchen, though would imagine it to be somewhat higher than these.
I really liked the kitchen, the food was much better than in the other restaurants. They have a promotion pay 20% less of your food bill when you dine before 8 and you are one of the first eight tables. Which you always are if you come for eight o'clock.
Kathabene is offline  
Old Nov 10, 10, 5:47 am
  #56  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Posts: 3,360
Originally Posted by GibSpmuh View Post
I agree with Kathabene in regards to the Male city tour - it was pretty basic, only covering a couple of blocks near the jetty. I did notice some of the people on my tour stayed at the airport after the tour finished rather than head back to the resort (seems to work well with checkout time being midday and the tour commencing at 1pm).

Given that you usually need to pay for the airport transfer anyway it might be a cost effective way to see a bit of Male and not get slugged with the airport transfer costs on top of it as well if a tour runs on the day that you leave and you have an evening flight. Otherwise you could just take an earlier airport transfer and take a look around Male yourself if you're really interested - there's left luggage at the airport and the boats between the airport and Male run pretty much constantly.
Going there in Dec. So you can avoid the airport transfer fee?
travelkid is offline  
Old Nov 10, 10, 9:48 am
  #57  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: DFW
Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carl Gold, IHG Plat
Posts: 1,002
Thanks for the info re: food prices. Wow -- the prices seem very reasonable -- by Maldives standards, anyway.
iamthehpt is offline  
Old Nov 13, 10, 12:25 am
  #58  
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
Posts: 1,879
Originally Posted by travelkid View Post
Going there in Dec. So you can avoid the airport transfer fee?
For going to the resort I don't think there's any way to avoid it. As for going back to the airport I can't say whether they charge for both the tour and the transfer, just that there was certainly people who took the tour who went straight to the airport from there rather than returning to the resort.
GibSpmuh is offline  
Old Nov 13, 10, 1:04 am
  #59  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 552
I guess they would collect USD 150 as airport transfer fee (which is for both ways).

A question on left luggage at Male airport. Does it operate round the clock? Where to find them? How much do they charge?
kshastry is offline  
Old Nov 13, 10, 11:58 am
  #60  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: MOW
Programs: PC Plat/RA, LH SEN, FB Gold, BA Gold
Posts: 108
Originally Posted by Kathabene View Post
I really liked the kitchen, the food was much better than in the other restaurants. They have a promotion pay 20% less of your food bill when you dine before 8 and you are one of the first eight tables. Which you always are if you come for eight o'clock.
Isn't it a quote from a discount coupon you can get only once per stay ?
Did you try to get this discount without this coupon ?
SnowSurfer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: