Holiday Inn Kandooma -- Maldives

Old Sep 29, 10, 5:29 am

One thing still to be explained...

Originally Posted by TheBeerHunter View Post
no tax on free nights. 10% service charge on everything though. And yes, they really do ply you with tons of free water, everywhere, all the time. Even at the beach -- free water for the taking. Taking a snorkel trip? Free bottled water provided. Just sitting in the lounge in the reception area? Free water on offer. Quite generous with it.

Edited to add: Posted my review here
TheBeerHunter, thank you for a great review of the Kandooma, that was really helpfull.

My fiance and me are going to stay there for 7 nights starting 10/10. I booked an OWB sea view for the first night and used points for the following 6 nights (Garden View Room). I do not count on being able to stay in OWB for the entire stay but we wil see.

You mentioned a 10% service charge on everything. Does it mean there is also a 10% service charge on reward nights? If yes, what is the rate they use to calculate it?

Best regards
Old Sep 30, 10, 6:06 am

Garden view Villa?

Hi, I am also visiting the resort next year and was booked for a Garden Villa using points and cash which is still great value and I believe I get taxed only on the cash portion of the payment? I am only a basic member of priorityclub so I see chances of me being upgraded as almost nil. Does any board member have any experiences with the normal Garden Villa room and how it compares with the other rooms besides the views which I am not too fussed about? Is three nights there sufficient as I am not a committed beach bum...lol? Thanks!
Old Sep 30, 10, 6:17 am

Programs: Spire RA, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN, Ctrip Diamond VIP.
No, you won't pay taxes at all, except for the 8 USD/pers+night "bed tax".

Service charge is a concept mostly seen in Asia. This basically means a 10% serivce charge is added to everything you purchase at the resort (diving trip, can of coke, dinner). This should not apply to the room rate though, as it is 0 € for a reward stay.

Cash and points at IHG is different; you get charged by IHG for the points immediately at booking. The hotel does not know that you used cash and points but sees it as a regular reward stay.

That said, another question to those that stayed there. We have never been to the Maldives and considering making a detour there next year for a couple of days. I'm not sure whether I should make a reward reservation at the HI or rather spend big €€€ for the Taj etc. Will the HI give the "Maldive-feeling" you expect from Maldives photos and pictures?
Google earth shows a fisher's village (Guraidhoo/Guradu) right next to the HI island - is it possible/advisable to go there for a visit or some dinner?
Old Sep 30, 10, 3:26 pm

Holiday Inn Kandooma Maldives

Any stayed in a garden view villa in the Kandooma Holiday Inn? Any vast difference between that and a beach villa? No chance for upgrade as using points and only lowest tier member.
Old Oct 2, 10, 10:40 am

Programs: AS 75K, AA Gold, IC Plat AMB, CC Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt PLT...belong to most others but no status
Originally Posted by Chinatrvl View Post
No, you won't pay taxes at all, except for the 8 USD/pers+night "bed tax".

Service charge is a concept mostly seen in Asia. This basically means a 10% serivce charge is added to everything you purchase at the resort (diving trip, can of coke, dinner). This should not apply to the room rate though, as it is 0 for a reward stay.

Cash and points at IHG is different; you get charged by IHG for the points immediately at booking. The hotel does not know that you used cash and points but sees it as a regular reward stay.

That said, another question to those that stayed there. We have never been to the Maldives and considering making a detour there next year for a couple of days. I'm not sure whether I should make a reward reservation at the HI or rather spend big for the Taj etc. Will the HI give the "Maldive-feeling" you expect from Maldives photos and pictures?
Google earth shows a fisher's village (Guraidhoo/Guradu) right next to the HI island - is it possible/advisable to go there for a visit or some dinner?
The Maldivian government actually regulates which islands are allowed visits from outsiders. I don't think that "westerners" (or "outsiders") are allowed at the island across the way, though I can tell you that a lot of people who live there actually work at the hotel (we stayed in a villa right across the way, and watched a boat pick people up and bring them over every day). The hotel does offer "local island excursions" but we gave this a miss, figuring it was going to be a sales pitch.

Whether the HI gives you a "Maldivian" experience versus the Taj I think is a matter of expectation. This island was virtually wiped out during the tsunami. Dunno about the Taj island (about 1/4 of all of the resort islands were closed after the tsunami) but given the price difference between the two, your expectations I think would really dictate the "experience" you expect and will get. If you go to the HI Maldives expecting a HI Resort experience, I don't think you'll be disappointed (and in fact we were actually quite pleased). But if you expect a level of service of the Taj at HI prices, you won't be happy. You know how that goes. Based on your previous posts though I think you are pretty level-headed about such things. For 15K points/night, I do think it's an absolute steal and absolutely worth it.

To the other poster asking about the garden view villa, they're nice, and I was jealous as we walked around seeing them with a hammock out front (which our sea view duplex lacked). They were also nicely shaded, which many sea view villas were not. In any event, the sea is really not far from you at all, as the island is very small, and the "garden" is really a mass of mangroves through which you make you way in less than 2 minutes to the beach, so it is not like you're in the boonies or anything. As a platinum (royal ambassador) we were not "upgraded" on our reward stay, but rather, "allowed" to stay in our paid room as a "courtesy". I didn't ask for a further upgrade but got the impression that they aren't given easily.
Old Nov 2, 10, 6:42 am

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
Just got back from a Pointbreaks stay at HI Kandooma and had a great time. Was upgraded to a Sea View Beach House which came as quite a pleasant surprise. The resort was running near 100% occupancy apparently - not that you'd know it, didn't feel particuarly crowded at all.

Found the staff to be pretty much universally friendly and helpful. Mostly ate at the Poolside Cafe or in the room - was great to sit on the balcony of the room and look out over the ocean. You can order anything from the Poolside Cafe as takeaway or for delivery, not just the limited options listed in the room service menu. Most of the dishes were surprisingly tasty and reasonably priced as well. The breakfast buffet on the otherhand was fairly average, wasn't exactly rushing to get out of bed to make it there.

As others have mentioned, there's free wi-fi throughout the island and the speed can be somewhat variable. But for looking after the essentials it was handy. Lots of other nice touches as well, like the oranges in the room each morning to make juice and bountiful bottles of water on offer as well.

For a Pointbreaks stay I don't think I could ask for better and I'd certainly contemplate a return on a paid stay (and no hesitation at 15k per night at the normal points rate either).
Old Nov 2, 10, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carl Gold, IHG Plat
Any fellow FTers going to be at the Kandooma from November 13 to 16?
Old Nov 5, 10, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carl Gold, IHG Plat
Well, my award stay booked in a garden view villa is now showing upgraded to a sea view beach house. YAY!!!!! The hotel is apparently 100% full (or at least cannot be booked online) for my arrival date, so maybe that is a factor with the upgrade. In any case, I am one happy camper.
Old Nov 5, 10, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by iamthehpt View Post
Well, my award stay booked in a garden view villa is now showing upgraded to a sea view beach house. YAY!!!!! The hotel is apparently 100% full (or at least cannot be booked online) for my arrival date, so maybe that is a factor with the upgrade. In any case, I am one happy camper.
Can you please give me the link to the site where you can look at the upgrades? I remember it to be a mobile version site of PC.. but couldn't find it in forum searches.

Did anybody took Male city tour? Is it worth doing?
Old Nov 5, 10, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kshastry View Post
Can you please give me the link to the site where you can look at the upgrades?
I just logged in to priorityclub.com, hit current reservations, then view reservation and the room had changed.
Old Nov 5, 10, 9:37 am

Programs: Royal Platinum Ambassador
We also went two weeks before on points and got the beach view sea view. They are very nice. The male tour isn't worth it.
Old Nov 6, 10, 8:10 am

beach view villa?????????

hi,has any body stayed in holiday inn kandooma in beach view villa rooms.how is the room situated.is it facing the beach,and hw far is it to access beach frm the room.planning to go in aprill 2011.do i hve direct access to beach frm the room.pls reply thnx
Old Nov 6, 10, 9:31 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR/LTG
Originally Posted by Kathabene View Post
We also went two weeks before on points and got the beach view sea view. They are very nice. The male tour isn't worth it.
How expensive is the food? Is the breakfast included on reward nights basis?
Old Nov 7, 10, 5:49 am

Programs: GF Black
My stay is this friday!!

Originally Posted by iamthehpt View Post
Any fellow FTers going to be at the Kandooma from November 13 to 16?
hi there. I'm staying there from Nov 13th till the 17th. I've reserved a Sea View Beach House. I've reserved through Dnata Travel, Dubai. 4 nights, with breakfast and speed boat transpiration.

I've called the hotel for confirmation and pickup timings. As per the gentleman, he told me that since I've reserved not through Priority club website, I'm not getting any upgrade (PLAT) and that's crap because I've done it before and got upgraded in numerous places across the world and it was never about using their site. He didn't mention anything about the points. I've paid fully without using any points, so they better have my points ready. And for that upgrade, isn't about the availability, not about the type of reservation?
Old Nov 7, 10, 9:07 am
Original Poster

I've paid fully without using any points, so they better have my points ready. And for that upgrade, isn't about the availability, not about the type of reservation?[/QUOTE]

My understanding under the Priority Club terms and conditions is that you MUST book via the Priority Club website OR directly with the hotel in order to get points and other PC benefits. Generally, you do NOT get points if booked through a third party site.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: