Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Home(less) Guy living in HIEX for points from his former great life.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Home(less) Guy living in HIEX for points from his former great life.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2010, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt PL, PC Spire/RA, HH GOLD, SPG Green, Marriott Silver, Skywards B, CSA Gold, Lufthansa Paper,UA
Thumbs up Home(less) Guy living in HIEX for points from his former great life.

http://consumerist.com/2010/03/homel...rmer-life.html
Old Mar 11, 2010, 11:15 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Wow...self imposed $5 a day food budget. He must really love the Dollar Menu
Old Mar 12, 2010, 6:39 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Wow! That is an amazing story and very creative of him. Gosh I hope he is able to get work before all the UA points run out .
Old Mar 12, 2010, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Or hope for some 5K nights in his part of the state.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 9:19 am

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
My hero

Originally Posted by CMK10
Wow...self imposed $5 a day food budget. He must really love the Dollar Menu
I once did 8 pounds/day for food AND transport on a working holiday in London.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
If he's out of a home, and reduced to living in a HI Express using his points... says a lot of him.

What sort of character he must have been that he did not have a single friend, relative, or even ex-partner / fling, take him in .. ?

Leased BMW says it all.

He's still hoping that he'll get another 6 figure job... Dream on.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 12:59 am

Programs: IC RA, KrisFlyer, Evergreen
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
If he's out of a home, and reduced to living in a HI Express using his points... says a lot of him.

What sort of character he must have been that he did not have a single friend, relative, or even ex-partner / fling, take him in .. ?

Leased BMW says it all.

He's still hoping that he'll get another 6 figure job... Dream on.
I kinda stopped feeling sorry for the guy the moment I saw that he declared bankruptcy while driving a leased BMW with a HDTV sitting in his rented storage. I'm sure it must be really tough to cash in those welfare cheques while pulling up to the bank in his BMW that many people won't ever be able to afford.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 1:58 pm

Programs: SPG Plat,MR Plat Spire Plat/IC Amb, Choice Plat, BW Plat
Doesn't say he did bankruptcy yet, just walked away and probably why he can still run the BMW lease too so he's just at the beginning of his troubles. Who knows might be an East Coaster stuck in the West with no contacts and maybe we'll see him on an episode of Repo Man...now that they know where he hangs. To think he'd have improved his standard of living if he'd used FT. Know a fellow who got divorced and burned up PCR points breaks until it sorted out and a family that used points to cover hotels when their new house was late finishing so they come in handy in all sorts of ways.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:05 pm

Programs: IC RA, KrisFlyer, Evergreen
Originally Posted by Points Surfer
Doesn't say he did bankruptcy yet, just walked away and probably why he can still run the BMW lease too so he's just at the beginning of his troubles.
I'm guessing you didn't read the full article by clicking on the link at the bottom of that page.

Kennedy, 46, lost his six-figure corporate development job 19 months ago, he fell behind on his mortgage payments and his house went into foreclosure. He filed for bankruptcy last August and it was finalized in January. To the logical Kennedy, the story is simple.

"I’m not going to claim I was cheated out of my house," Kennedy says several times. "I didn’t pay my mortgage."
Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:23 pm

Programs: SPG Plat,MR Plat Spire Plat/IC Amb, Choice Plat, BW Plat
Originally Posted by mister__big
I'm guessing you didn't read the full article by clicking on the link at the bottom of that page.
Yup missed that Thx.....seems he more ambitious but not so penny less when you read the "rest" of the article.

Still surprised he was allowed to keep the leased Beemer and a storage locker full of goodies after being approved for bankruptcy and discharged.... US law must be a lot different in that regard
Old Mar 15, 2010, 12:26 pm

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
Reminds me of the time a few years ago...when as a poor grad student who couldn't afford housing during the summer, I lived for 3 months at the Staybridge Suites San Jose in a 2 bedroom suite on Pointbreaks
Old Mar 16, 2010, 12:29 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Asiana, Virgin, PC, HHonors, SPG, Marriott
PBs are awesome!!!
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:59 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Plat, PC Plat RA, HHonors Gold, National EE
I sure hope he sprung for a temperature-controlled storage unit. If not, he can kiss that 375-bottle wine collection goodbye. It's been in there for two months now...
Old Mar 17, 2010, 7:42 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by WonderDude
I sure hope he sprung for a temperature-controlled storage unit. If not, he can kiss that 375-bottle wine collection goodbye. It's been in there for two months now...
I was thinking the same thing...

Maybe that's why he's dipping into the stash and consuming it, kinda Leaving Las Vegasy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.