FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   Discussion on IHG Properties in Rome (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1061670-discussion-ihg-properties-rome.html)

SimpleManToo Mar 10, 2010 7:41 pm

Discussion on IHG Properties in Rome

I see there are a good many HI's in rome and the surround area. Do any of these have a better location than say the Marriott or Hilton Cavaleri? I am sure they are no where close in class but what about location. Would you forgo a night at the marriott rome or hilton cavaleri rome for this location?

Happy Mar 10, 2010 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by SimpleManToo (Post 13552887)
I see there are a good many HI's in rome and the surround area. Do any of these have a better location than say the Marriott or Hilton Cavaleri? I am sure they are no where close in class but what about location. Would you forgo a night at the marriott rome or hilton cavaleri rome for this location?

Dont they show their locations on the Map?!

May be you want to get some idea on Rome the city, and where you want to stay based on your needs / interests, then match it up with the location(s)?

On the other hand, Rome has a good subway system which may not be as good as in London or Paris, but is adequate and let you get from one location to the other very quickly - and you will need it regardless where you stay.

sdsearch Mar 12, 2010 9:56 am

Originally Posted by SimpleManToo (Post 13552887)

Just HI's, or PriorityClub (IHG) properties in general?

I ask because locationwise it's hard to beat the IC right next to (the top of) the Spanish Steps. It's IC priced (whether in $$$ or points), and doesn't include breakfast (that's many $$ extra), but again, for location it's incredibly hard to beat. (And while it costs more than the Expresses and HI's, it doesn't cost any more than the Hilton Cavalieri, and in my book Spanish Steps in a more cramped upscale hotel beats remote location spacious upscale hotel if actually seeing Rome is the goal.)

I guess next best locationwise, would be Express Rome - San Giovanni, because per their web page it's got a "subway stop 'Pontelungo' within 500 meters", ie about 1/4 mile, and an FCO-bound train stops even closer. Being an Express, it's much more affordable.

All the other hotels, be they Express, Holiday Inn, or Crowne Plaza are further out and only really practical if you have a car, which may not be practical if the center of Rome is where you want to hang out. (But there are things to do on outskirts of Rome or the areas around Rome, so perhaps if the focus of this trip is just on those, these car-needing locaitons could work for you. But I wouldn't recommend that for your first trip to the Rome area, that is best done by public transport.)

mareh Mar 12, 2010 11:20 am

We stayed in the San Giovanni location less than two years ago. It is close to the train, but certainly not central to any tourist attractions. We didn't really mind because it was a free stay, but it doesn't sound like what you're looking for. Also note that the rooms on the one side of the building have a very bad problem with train noise.

Hannibal Lecter Mar 12, 2010 12:01 pm

If you're on a budget, try HIX Rome east. I've stayed there a couple of times, it's a 10min shuttle (free) ride from the metro station or, when the shuttle don't run, you can get there by public bus which stops just outside the metro station.
There was a very good inexpensive restaurant a 10min walk from the hotel, which served the best Tiramiu I've ever eaten. The waiter looked like Luc Besson.

huwjames Mar 13, 2010 1:50 am

Stayed at the Parco dei Medici hotel quite a few times. 15/20 mins outside Rome but hotel offers a shuttle bus. I've always hired a car so not used the bus. Nice hotel but the rooms need a bit of an upgrade. Only one type of room available. Breakfast good quality. Reason I use it is for the swimming pool and the fact that's it's quiet unlike a lot of central Rome hotels

AMDB7 Mar 13, 2010 3:45 am

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza St Peters last year - it's a bit outside the centre BUT they have a fantastic shuttle-bus service that is complimentary for guests and runs regularly, to a timetable, to and from the centre.

If you were coming home very late each night I'm not sure of their last times (we didn't use it very late at night) but it worked perfectly for us every day. No hire-car worries, no parking worries, no fare worries! Brilliant.

Hannibal Lecter Mar 13, 2010 4:17 am

Originally Posted by AMDB7 (Post 13567859)
We stayed at the Crowne Plaza St Peters last year - it's a bit outside the centre BUT they have a fantastic shuttle-bus service that is complimentary for guests and runs regularly, to a timetable, to and from the centre.

If you were coming home very late each night I'm not sure of their last times (we didn't use it very late at night) but it worked perfectly for us every day. No hire-car worries, no parking worries, no fare worries! Brilliant.

that one, fairly often 2-4-1 rate

WiseFlyer Mar 13, 2010 7:59 am

We had two rooms at the IC atop the Spanish Steps for 3 nights in December using the free rooms we earned in last summer's awesome free room promo. They upgraded us to triples (we tried to get breakfast thrown in, but no dice. No worries, there are great little cafes right up the street.) The location is amazing and saved a ton of time in getting to the main attractions. Subway is nearby, but we walked everywhere. All the other IHG options are poorly located.

JBG89 Aug 30, 2015 10:52 am

Holiday Inn's Rome

Hi,

I'm looking at the possibility of staying in the following Holiday Inn properties for a 3 night stay with my family (2 rooms total). It seems as though hotels in Rome are quite pricey when looking luxury and since we won't be in our rooms much, staying at the following properties may be a good way to earn bonuses for our trip in Asia.

Holiday Inn Options
  • San Giovanni
  • Eur Parco Dei Medici
  • Pisana

I understand none are quite central to tourist attractions but may offer shuttles. Could anyone please provide some insight onto which would provide the most convenient experience in regards to transit and comfort? (all are priced around the same).

Thanks!

Aldebaran Sep 4, 2015 3:51 pm

The Holiday Inn Express San Giovanni is the best. When I am in Rome this is my hotel of choice. Located in a quiet area with some very good restaurants within walking distance.
You have the Roma Tuscolana railway station just behind the hotel (convenient arriving from FCO airport, just remember to use the regional train and not the express).
The nearest tube station is Ponte Lungo on Line A, within about 5 minutes walking distance. Also the Furio Camillo tube station is very close, I would say 6 minutes walking time. You can choose one of these two stations at your convenience.
On the main street there are a couple of bus lines, quite convenient to reach tourist attractions, but slower than the tube and quite crowded at peak times.

Daichovo Jan 7, 2016 11:06 pm

HI Rome- Aurelia, East

Hey,
Considering some properties to finish accelerate this spring. I need to book something in Rome anyway. The HI Aurelia and HIX Rome East are in my price range. Anyone stayed at these hotels? They seem to be right on public transit so maybe not so bad being outside the city.

AaronD23 Jan 8, 2016 2:20 am

Stayed at the HIX East. Property is one of the better HIX hotels I've stayed at. It looks quite modern, breakfast is more than your average HIX and staff was really friendly. There are no options for dining around the hotel, but you can order fresh pizza (tasted good!). Downside is the connection to the city center: it takes at least 30 minutes by bus and metro or around the same time by train and metro (transferring at Tiburtina train station).

The HI Aurelia is the only IHG hotel in Rome I haven't stayed at.

If you have any questions, let me know. I'd be happy to help.

ARR72 Mar 7, 2016 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Aldebaran (Post 25378722)
The Holiday Inn Express San Giovanni is the best. When I am in Rome this is my hotel of choice. Located in a quiet area with some very good restaurants within walking distance.
You have the Roma Tuscolana railway station just behind the hotel (convenient arriving from FCO airport, just remember to use the regional train and not the express).
The nearest tube station is Ponte Lungo on Line A, within about 5 minutes walking distance. Also the Furio Camillo tube station is very close, I would say 6 minutes walking time. You can choose one of these two stations at your convenience.
On the main street there are a couple of bus lines, quite convenient to reach tourist attractions, but slower than the tube and quite crowded at peak times.

By chance, have you stayed at the Crowne Plaza St. Peter's, and if so, how would you compare that hotel to HIE San Giovanni? Now that the IC has closed/is closing, the rates at the Indigo seem to have skyrocketed. Looking for alternatives in Rome. Thank you

submonte Oct 8, 2017 5:14 am

Any plans known for an InterContinental flagged hotel in Rome?