Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2010, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Gold/Plat Re-qualification Levels.

Hello,

Just to clarify...

I am currently Gold, and on my profile, there is the total balance of my points, which "never expire"...

There are the "Points Earner in 2010"... < This is the one which I need to get to 20,000 again, within 2010 to retain Gold for the next year?

Thanks,

BBB
Old Feb 24, 2010, 4:51 pm

Programs: SK*G, IC RA
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Hello,

Just to clarify...

I am currently Gold, and on my profile, there is the total balance of my points, which "never expire"...

There are the "Points Earner in 2010"... < This is the one which I need to get to 20,000 again, within 2010 to retain Gold for the next year?

Thanks,

BBB
Yes.

The Gold / Platinum qualification follow the calendar year.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dk_commuter
Yes.

The Gold / Platinum qualification follow the calendar year.
Thank you very much.

Regards,
Old Feb 25, 2010, 4:56 am

Programs: It's better to have loved and lost than never have loved at all
You're setting your sights too low. 20k should be nailed in a few nights with Plat not too many stays after that. We're only in Feb so I would set yourself a goal of achieving plat by Easter (for instance) giving you a reasonable amount of time to get the shinier card. Plus the earlier you qualify the more points you'll pull in this year from the 50% bonus.

I find that setting small measurable goals spurs me on to maximise the promotions and ensure I'm always driving value from my stays.

I'm still kicking myself that I had to stay in a Best Western the other night as an IHG hotel was too far away from my meeting venue.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 7:20 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Jono is correct ^. I netted around XXXXX points in 2 stays and when the Stay 2 hotels promo posts, it will be even healthier .

I am hoping that I can retain PLAT on PC and SPG . I will certainly give it a good try at least.

Last edited by Downunder girl; Feb 25, 2010 at 8:41 am Reason: after reading the acct lock thread, I am not so willing to post identifying info.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 7:24 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
BBB, didnt expect to find you here too!!

The advice above is good. if you go through Radioman's thread at the top and get registered for lots of things you should be well able to get lots of points and hit Plat with relatively few stays, a couple of the stays at the end of last year were getting me 11K points a night because of all the bonuses.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 8:24 am

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
Originally Posted by antichef
BBB, didnt expect to find you here too!!

The advice above is good. if you go through Radioman's thread at the top and get registered for lots of things you should be well able to get lots of points and hit Plat with relatively few stays, a couple of the stays at the end of last year were getting me 11K points a night because of all the bonuses.
Yes, it really is very easy if you try - too easy really. I just passed 60K points earned after 9 stays and its not even the end of Feb. Sadly as good as that may sound I know some get there with even fewer stays and time.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 8:42 am

Programs: PC, WN, AA
I concur with the "it's really easy" comments!

2009: Reached Gold in two stays (total of three nights).

2010: Requalified for Gold in January with one three-night stay. Additional stays, the "stay 2 10K" promo and the Chase account promo will get me Plat by the end of April at the very latest.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 9:33 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Plat is dead easy to acheive here, on points... I got it with about 5 nights last year (PC is my backup hotel group).

Check out Radiomans sticky thread.

It is worth getting to Plat, upgrades do happen, I've had free breakfasts too and discounts against food, although all this depends on the individual hotels policy. the extra points are gratefully received, but in reality nothing compares with St Radiomans pointshound skills!! 10k per night earnings are quite possible...
Old Feb 25, 2010, 10:12 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
i get upgrades almost all the time!
Old Feb 25, 2010, 10:42 am

BBB doesn't get points for stays though, as airline rates are (apparently) non-qualifying..
Old Feb 25, 2010, 2:59 pm

Programs: It's better to have loved and lost than never have loved at all
Originally Posted by jimthehorsegod
BBB doesn't get points for stays though, as airline rates are (apparently) non-qualifying..
Indeed but we all know he goes on holidays and could nail it without the overnights in Europe.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Ooh! I am quite the topic of discussion here!

Yes, I do holiday a lot, however I am not staying in any IHG properties on my next trip as we are renting a house.

Indeed, I have 2 nights booked in Berlin this weekend, for 2 rooms, so will get me a fair wadge of points. I may go for Plat at some point, but I am not overly bothered if I get it or not. I am more interested in just building a points balance that I can use for some free nights at some point.

I have indeed registered for all the promo codes, and "My Offer Status" has several showing, with some showing with no details at all. I have several offers that run out at the end of March, and may have to stay a cheap night somewhere to try and trigger some stuff, like the "Stay 2 IHG properties, get 10,000 Points" promo, however, I have read that a couple of people who had multiple night stays triggered the promotion, so will wait till I get back from Berlin before booking a cheap night at some London motor way hotel.

Thanks for all the advice... I need 53,254 to get Plat.

Although, saying that, I did register my card on my room in one city where we night stop at a Holiday Inn, and for some reason, they entered it into the room details, and changed the rate to a qualifying rate at €1 for the night, which, then triggered all the points promos I was registered for... All for a room service bill of €13.50! Bagged me over 8,000 points.... Silly reception lady... !

Regards,
Old Feb 25, 2010, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jimthehorsegod
Indeed, so anything that is done is on my own dime... no one else's...
Old Feb 25, 2010, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Although, saying that, I did register my card on my room in one city where we night stop at a Holiday Inn, and for some reason, they entered it into the room details, and changed the rate to a qualifying rate at €1 for the night, which, then triggered all the points promos I was registered for...
You should always try to charge something to your room and have them enter your account number for incidental credit. Sometimes you will luck out like this; chances increase a lot if there is some incidental spending (F&B, telephone charges, etc.).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.